Player Contracts (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you exclude the 2 players we have in on loan we have 63 players either in our first team squad, out on loan or in the u23s. We have a further 25 players in the u18s. This is is a ridiculous amount of players. I reckon between 6-9 of the current 2nd year scholars will be offered full time contracts so that is up to 69/72. I reckon we need to get rid of circa 25 players to make space for 5/6 coming in. That is why we are such a mess. I think there are quite a few u23s out of contract but again unless a miracle happens I think Marcel may be stuck with having to loan out between 10-12 players.

I
Very, very true.This had been our policy for well over 20 years and it must be changed. Not only is it bad business, but players who have served us well are kept too long and suffer abuse from the crowd despite their past services - for example, Kevin Campbell, Tim Cahill, now Leighton Baines & Phil Jagielka.
I get why we would want to keep the likes of Baines and Jagielka around and take a bit of a loss financially on them, these are players who have been at the club a long time, leaders in the dressing room, problem is we rely on the far too heavily for too long, they should have been replaced as first team regulars years ago, not in their mid-thirties. The other thing about the current crop, barring Coleman, non of them have any real connection to the club.

If you exclude the 2 players we have in on loan we have 63 players either in our first team squad, out on loan or in the u23s. We have a further 25 players in the u18s. This is is a ridiculous amount of players. I reckon between 6-9 of the current 2nd year scholars will be offered full time contracts so that is up to 69/72. I reckon we need to get rid of circa 25 players to make space for 5/6 coming in. That is why we are such a mess. I think there are quite a few u23s out of contract but again unless a miracle happens I think Marcel may be stuck with having to loan out between 10-12 players.

Huge number of bodies.

I think my numbers are fairly correct up to the 20 remaining in the first team squad...and alot of them will be punted too

Huge number of bodies.

I think my numbers are fairly correct up to the 20 remaining in the first team squad...and alot of them will be punted too

I agree with most your players out except I would try and make Gomes permanent and maybe see how Holgate, Dowell, Connolly and Joe Williams get on with their loans before making a final decision. Some absolute garbage on that list on contracts they must of dreamed of but never expected. If Moshiri pulled out now we could do a Leeds or worse!

Quality over quantity is needed.

The sooner the vagrants on any terms with us who are not contributing or won’t ever contribute are booted out the better.

Agree on the outs, some will naturally happen quicker than others, for those who can’t be sold get them on loan so they are not contaminating the first team squad with their mood.

If we attract younger more expensive players on lower contracts - who are able to be developed one success can ultimately help drive two or three ins down the line.

We just have to accept that some good players will naturally leave us, hopefully we can just go out and rinse and repeat making the club money and helping us climb.

Quality over quantity is needed.

The sooner the vagrants on any terms with us who are not contributing or won’t ever contribute are booted out the better.

Agree on the outs, some will naturally happen quicker than others, for those who can’t be sold get them on loan so they are not contaminating the first team squad with their mood.

If we attract younger more expensive players on lower contracts - who are able to be developed one success can ultimately help drive two or three ins down the line.

We just have to accept that some good players will naturally leave us, hopefully we can just go out and rinse and repeat making the club money and helping us climb.
Good post. This is exactly what Brands is in position for - let's just hope he delivers.

Please take a look here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/player-contracts.106096/

This summer we will lose:
Jagielka - End of contract
Baines - End of contract
Browning - End of contract
Zouma - End of loan
Gomes - End of loan
A Williams - already at Stoke until his contract expires

If we look at the players whose contracts expire in summer 2020;

Cuco - Gone to Feyenoord, obligation to buy
Mirallas - Rumoured to go for €7mil
Niasse - Currently on loan
Garbutt - Currently on loan
Tarashaj - Currently on loan
J Williams - Currently on loan
Galloway - With u23s
Stekelenburg - Not trusted
McCarthy - Coming back from injury

I think its fair to say that these players will all be sold / loaned in the summer.

Interestingly that would mean 15 players will be removed from the squad this summer.

The next set of players we can focus on will be those who it appears have no future at the club and are currently on loan elsewhere;

Pennington (2021)
Bolasie (2021)
Sandro (2021)
Besic (2021)
Dowell (2021)
Connolly (2021)
Holgate (2022)

Whether sold/loaned for the 2019/20 season this would reduce our first team squad by 22 players

This would be the remaining squad in the summer:

Goalkeepers (2)
Virginia (2021)
Pickford (2024)

Defenders (5)
Keane (2022)
Coleman (2022)
Kenny (2022)
Mina (2023)
Digne (2023)

Midfielders (6)
Schneiderlin (2021)
Vlasic (2022)
Gana (2022)
Davies (2022)
Baningime (2022)
Sigurdsson (2022)

Wide Forwards (5)
Lookman (2021)
Walcott (2021)
Bernard (2022)
Onyekuru (2022)
Richarlison (2023)

Centre Forwards (2)
Tosun (2022)
Calvert-Lewin (2023)

This means that if we do the expected minimum then our squad will be cut to 20 players without any real changes to the first team.

If we look at this positively then this could allow Marcel Brands quite a lot of leeway to move on new players in the summer window and focus on offloading some current first team players.

This, I feel is crucial to our rebuilding process.
If Silva is still here we will need to sign the whole defensive unit from athletico and let them train separately at finch farm!

Love the hate of maturity on this forum. Shame we don't have a 30 year old Aguero so you freaks could talk about replacing him with some 19 year old rando from France.

Also Baines will probably sign a short contract on a pay cut as decent left backs are like unicorn turds.

Status
Not open for further replies.