Prostate Cancer ….. Basic Self Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
While on the topic of cancer, don't forget to have an occasional feel of your sack for lumps/bumps. I felt one last year and needed an ultrasound to determine it was only a cyst. A friend I went to school with however was diagnosed with testicular cancer last year. It has a high survival rate if caught early so when you're in the shower, just have a feel.

That's why I like this forum. Always willing to help out our fellow man.
I had blood tests and urine tests last May (2020), they were negative but I was still concerned, I was put on a waiting list, my doctor told me it could take six weeks before I was seen to, after repeated requests to know when I was going to be seen I had a scan in March this year, was told to expect the results in about four weeks, never heard anything, rang them up about the middle of May, was told I’d receive a letter within two or three weeks, still waiting, the virus has put everything else on hold, phoned repeatedly in the last few weeks, can’t get hold of anyone, in no pain but the flow is weak and I just want reassurance off a doctor, seen my own doctor who sent me to see a consultant at Fazackerly hospital, he spoke to me last year in November and arranged the scan in March, so that’s where I’m up to, I know how important the illness can be, do the NHS?

I had blood tests and urine tests last May (2020), they were negative but I was still concerned, I was put on a waiting list, my doctor told me it could take six weeks before I was seen to, after repeated requests to know when I was going to be seen I had a scan in March this year, was told to expect the results in about four weeks, never heard anything, rang them up about the middle of May, was told I’d receive a letter within two or three weeks, still waiting, the virus has put everything else on hold, phoned repeatedly in the last few weeks, can’t get hold of anyone, in no pain but the flow is weak and I just want reassurance off a doctor, seen my own doctor who sent me to see a consultant at Fazackerly hospital, he spoke to me last year in November and arranged the scan in March, so that’s where I’m up to, I know how important the illness can be, do the NHS?
The NHS has a commitment that if you have an abnormal PSA, you will be referred for a scan within 2 weeks of that result. That has happened all the way through lockdown. In your case buddy your PSA must have been 'normal' and so not a cause for concern. PSA can give false positives (as it could be down to an enlarged prostate or other conditions) but it rarely gives false negatives, so high PSAs are always checked out.

Gentlemen
Prostate cancer is real and the demographic on this forum is very much susceptible to it.
A close friend of mine told me one day that I appear to have some of the symptoms … so I called the doctor … who did a basic test (PSA blood sample) and from that I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer
That was 4 years ago . I still have some cancer and it’s under control but if I hadn’t been warned by my friend the situation might be much worse
So please listen to me
Let me be your friend
WATCH OUT FOR THESE SIMPLE SYMPTOMS
1 Frequency of pee visits especially in the night … DO NOT IGNORE THIS AS IF ITS A SIGN OF NORMAL AGEING it is but it should also be taken as a possible warning sign

2 Flow rate …. Simply put ( and quoted by the late great Parkinson ) if you can’t stand a step away from a wall and write your initials in pee you need a check .

Both of the above symptoms are probably benign symptoms but gentlemen do not ignore them.

The best thing to do is ask your Doctor for a PSA blood test … there is nothing to worry about here …. Nothing will be inserted anywhere other than a needle in your arm.

The PSA isn’t a perfect test but it’s good enough for peace of mind

3 Other symptoms such as blood and pain when peeing are a no brainer … get to the doctor immediately

PROSTATE CANCER IS THE MOST COMMON CANCER IN MEN BUT IT ONLY KILLS WHEN ITS DETECTED LATE

WATCH YOUR FLOW
BE AWARE OF HOW OFTEN YOU GO
REGULARLY ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR A PSA TEST

thanks for listening
Thanks a lot.

God it's hell being a man these days.

My preferred nouns are.

'old codger' and ' becoming more right wing'.

:(

The NHS has a commitment that if you have an abnormal PSA, you will be referred for a scan within 2 weeks of that result. That has happened all the way through lockdown. In your case buddy your PSA must have been 'normal' and so not a cause for concern. PSA can give false positives (as it could be down to an enlarged prostate or other conditions) but it rarely gives false negatives, so high PSAs are always checked out.
Thank you, feel better for your reply.

Anyone else reading this and feeling a little
twinge in both areas downstairs.

Mad how this little level of uncomfortableness though would put a lot of men off getting checked and as you say early checks can save lives.

Appreciate the advice and awareness mate, hopefully it helps encourage a lot to men to not ignore the signs.

I mentioned to my sister about me going for a scan 6 months ago, she said "Oh don't worry about it" If it's
a mans cancer they'll have the cure within 10 years, if it's Fallopian tubes or Breast cancer 80 years and still
counting. Made me feel a lot better, I'm sure?

I remember as a kid at junior school we used to see who could pee over the outside toilet wall.

Gentlemen
Prostate cancer is real and the demographic on this forum is very much susceptible to it.
A close friend of mine told me one day that I appear to have some of the symptoms … so I called the doctor … who did a basic test (PSA blood sample) and from that I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer
That was 4 years ago . I still have some cancer and it’s under control but if I hadn’t been warned by my friend the situation might be much worse
So please listen to me
Let me be your friend
WATCH OUT FOR THESE SIMPLE SYMPTOMS
1 Frequency of pee visits especially in the night … DO NOT IGNORE THIS AS IF ITS A SIGN OF NORMAL AGEING it is but it should also be taken as a possible warning sign

2 Flow rate …. Simply put ( and quoted by the late great Parkinson ) if you can’t stand a step away from a wall and write your initials in pee you need a check .

Both of the above symptoms are probably benign symptoms but gentlemen do not ignore them.

The best thing to do is ask your Doctor for a PSA blood test … there is nothing to worry about here …. Nothing will be inserted anywhere other than a needle in your arm.

The PSA isn’t a perfect test but it’s good enough for peace of mind

3 Other symptoms such as blood and pain when peeing are a no brainer … get to the doctor immediately

PROSTATE CANCER IS THE MOST COMMON CANCER IN MEN BUT IT ONLY KILLS WHEN ITS DETECTED LATE

WATCH YOUR FLOW
BE AWARE OF HOW OFTEN YOU GO
REGULARLY ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR A PSA TEST

thanks for listening
Good to know these things, I definitely intend to get a check from my GP, these symptoms I can relate to.

My dad passed away with it just before Christmas, had advanced prostate cancer gone to his bones he fought it with help with hormone treatment kept going for 15 years positivity kept him going take note everyone, but get checked lads, different treatments are available if you get checked early very good outlook,

Status
Not open for further replies.