R.I.P Billy Bingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Derby stole the title that year, a certain Mr Clough pipped them too it - Billy RIP had one hand on the trophy - :(
Dave Mackay was Derby Manager and he called us Robots.. I remember Bob Latchford stole the points in a 1-0 win at the Mudball Ground.

Remember being 2-0 up at home to Sheffield United and losing it 2-3. So near yet so far.
Even after the Carlisle debacle we still had chances to win the league. We drew with Burnley at home on a Friday night(eve of Grand National…Peter Noble!!!)and the ridiculous loss to Sheffield United…those 3 points would have given us the league.
In addition, we lost to Luton(relegated that season) and drew with Chelsea(also relegated) in those final 6 games…what a nightmare.

Dave Mackay was Derby Manager and he called us Robots.. I remember Bob Latchford stole the points in a 1-0 win at the Mudball Ground.
Football was a very defensive game in that era, where results were ground out somewhat. Bingham still had the foresight to buy some great players such as Latchford, Dobson and McKenzie. I think Andy is our King arrived in his era also. RIP Billy.

Remember being 2-0 up at home to Sheffield United and losing it 2-3. So near yet so far.
I remember that game, I was about 12 and thought their winger Allan Woodward was about 60!
Classic Dai the Drop for their second goal.

RIP Billy Bingham, he was the first manager I really felt a connection with as Catterick seemed aloof to a little kid.

Thanks for the memories.

Even after the Carlisle debacle we still had chances to win the league. We drew with Burnley at home on a Friday night(eve of Grand National…Peter Noble!!!)and the ridiculous loss to Sheffield United…those 3 points would have given us the league.
In addition, we lost to Luton(relegated that season) and drew with Chelsea(also relegated) in those final 6 games…what a nightmare.
I remember us pinching two late wins at home against QPR and Coventry I think late on that season as well as a good draw away at our bogey ground Leeds and thinking we had it sewn up...............doh :oops:

Many people say Billy's greatest achievement was the successes of Northern Ireland in 2 World Cups, but ... Southport into the third tier is an achievement of gargantuan proportions.

Glad he had his latter years in Southport. there are worse places to see your time out. RIP.

I’d said earlier that he’d had a good innings and that it comes to us all…but that doesn’t really do justice to BB, he was also a really nice guy….

Status
Not open for further replies.