2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about it I actually think we'll have as big a squad as last season and a stronger bench.
The players who've left are a blessing to be rid of and the players we've spent coppers on are so far doing ok, plus the lads back from loan and injury too.
With the added spark and aggression shown so far and a tactically astute manager I'm more optimistic than this time last year.

SO......

Say we field our arguably/debatable first 11

Picks
Seamus
Godfrey
Mina
Digne
Doucoure
Allan
Gray
Townsend
Richie
DCL

That would leave us a bench to be chosen from this list, many of who were regulars last season.

gbamin
Keane
Holgate
Davies
Hamez
Gomes
Rondon .......yep a true striker on the bench
Kenny
Gordon
Neils.......out on loan I'm now informed so sadly Delph gets the gig lol
Iwobi

Not too shabby in my eyes, and cover all over the park. I stand to be proven wrong come May but we must be top 8 easily with this squad and manager, at the very least. Flak jacket on in preparation for an assault by the glass half emptiers lol

Last edited:
Thinking about it I actually think we'll have as big a squad as last season and a stronger bench.
The players who've left are a blessing to be rid of and the players we've spent coppers on are so far doing ok, plus the lads back from loan and injury too.
With the added spark and aggression shown so far and a tactically astute manager I'm more optimistic than this time last year.

SO......

Picks
Seamus
Godfrey
Mina
Digne
Doucoure
Allan
Gray
Townsend
Richie
DCL

That would leave us a bench to be chosen from this list, many of who were regulars last season.

gbamin
Keane
Holgate
Davies
Hamez
Gomes
Kenny
Gordon
Neils
Iwobi

Not too shabby in my eyes, and cover all over the park. I stand to be proven wrong come May but we must be top 8 easily with this squad and manager, at the very least. Flak jacket on in preparation for an assault by the glass half emptiers lol
Nils has gone out on loan, so there is no Left back cover except for Delph, who you have left off your list.

SO......

Picks
Seamus
Godfrey
Mina
Digne
Doucoure
Allan
Gray
Townsend
Richie
DCL

gbamin
Keane
Holgate
Davies
Hamez
Gomes
Kenny
Gordon
Neils.......out on loan I'm now informed so sadly Delph gets the gig lol
Iwobi

Another far too sensible post.

We should be all following the experts who know that.......

1630487513983.png

So in reality then mate we should do better than last season?
With all things considered I'm now personally certain we will. I believe the squad we have is good enough to knock on the door of a top 6 spot if injuries which will inevitably come are not stupidly eye watering. The whole attitude and tempo of the players is encouraging with a manager who'll not let that effort subside.
Just hoping the first defeat doesn't bring a wave of "Rafael out" cries which I'm sure it will from a minority, however this season can only be called in May when we see if big spending Carlo's benchmark is met or bettered. As a true blue I have everything crossed it will be ;)

So in reality then mate we should do better than last season?
I think we will probably do better than last season.
We got some good results up to Christmas but fell away badly after that.

We have not lost any player from the last years squad and we have added Gray, Townsend and Rondon to cover areas where we were weak last season.

I think we may challenge for top six but what we haven't done is added the extra quality (with the possible exception of Gray) that we need to say that the team is substantially better than last season.
of course, some of the players who played regularly last season may see very little time on the pitch this season.

We also have to wait and see if Gbamin can stay fit and have an impact and I think Onyango may also make an impact this season.

Doubt even the most anti-Benitez blue is putting any of the blame on him for the lack of transfer activity. I was disappointed with him but he is starting to look like the right person for the job at the moment.

I think that he could get us a little higher than last season with the way we have looked so far. We look fitter, faster and more bothered. Hopefully, James can play a role.

Don't understand Nkounkou out on loan though.

I don’t see us anywhere near the top 6 tbh. Almost certain we’ll be in the 8th - 12th group. Which end of that will depend on injuries. Very very rare we get to play a full strength team.

I don’t see us anywhere near the top 6 tbh. Almost certain we’ll be in the 8th - 12th group. Which end of that will depend on injuries. Very very rare we get to play a full strength team.
Agree. Top 6 is nigh on impossible given the teams around there.

Top 10 and a cup run would be a decent season.

Agree. Top 6 is nigh on impossible given the teams around there.

Top 10 and a cup run would be a decent season.

Our team selection v Huddersfield and the way Benitez treated the cups with Newcastle doesn’t fill me with confidence on that front mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.