2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing but respect for him taking the job on - a proper poisoned chalice where he'd have no money to spend and knew a few bad results and people would go as far as threatening his actual life.

I think it's becoming clear that he was a sacrificial lamb of an appointment, with Everton expected to do badly and Benitez in place to take the flak.

Top 6 are probably City, Utd, Chelsea,RS,Spurs, Leicester (maybe)........surely we're on par with the other 14 or better than most of them?

We were knocking easily on the door of top 6 last season until we junked the chance with horrendously bad tactical decisions (see Sheff Utd at home for one amongst many), dropped heads and an unfathomable tendancy to keep fielding out of form players. There was no desire from Ancelloti to shake things up, he was bereft of ideas or didn't give a toss. There was no fighting for places in the first 11, names were on the sheet by default.
Sickening to see a nailed on European place thrown away via clulessness.

This is where things will differ this season I'm hoping. We have a manager who WANTS to be here and has plan Bs,Cs and Ds.
Also nobody will have the right to get on that team sheet by right of passage. Jeez Richie should have been dropped at one point last season, yep the unthinkable to some. However that's what makes teams stonger when players need to earn the right for a place in the starting line up.

I have nothing but respect for him taking the job on - a proper poisoned chalice where he'd have no money to spend and knew a few bad results and people would go as far as threatening his actual life.

I think it's becoming clear that he was a sacrificial lamb of an appointment, with Everton expected to do badly and Benitez in place to take the flak.
It's a fairly low-risk, high-upside deal from his perspective. He gets paid, if he fails the problem is the club, if he succeeds against impossible odds he looks like a tactical genius. Smart career move for him. The club can blame its mistakes on him if he fails, and leverage anti-Red sentiment among the fanbase. Win-win for both parties, really.

Hahah mate. Thats bs. He works for the club comes to training everyday. ItsA professional player not known who they are playing that week is a sham. That is mental your trying to put it out there as normal. James knew who we where playing also. That was a tongue in cheek move. Like even if he couldn't care less about Everton and badly wants to leave. It hasn't come up in conversation once in training? Its not in any of his news feeds? That's assuming he's hates us and frankly doesn't wanna know. Even then its mind boggling not knowing. .. which as I'm sure James did know.
Heard it echoed in various accounts by professionals books and podcasts, that if you are not in or round the match squad for whatever the reason, no need to know...
Think too many are eager to swallow the slick football PR machine, why that is i don't much care myself.

It's a fairly low-risk, high-upside deal from his perspective. He gets paid, if he fails the problem is the club, if he succeeds against impossible odds he looks like a tactical genius. Smart career move for him. The club can blame its mistakes on him if he fails, and leverage anti-Red sentiment among the fanbase. Win-win for both parties, really.

Not really, because he's then coming from a track record of Newcastle, China and Everton, with varying degrees of failure - his prospects of another remotely top job are then very thin.

It's only a win for him if he fails if he cares about nothing but a last pay day.

Not really, because he's then coming from a track record of Newcastle, China and Everton, with varying degrees of failure - his prospects of another remotely top job are then very thin.

It's only a win for him if he fails if he cares about nothing but a last pay day.
I would tend to disagree. I'd say this likely permits him to spin things in such a way to set up the last pay day, by getting him back into a high profile job where failure can be pinned on the club. I would also say that your position is reasonable.

It's a fairly low-risk, high-upside deal from his perspective. He gets paid, if he fails the problem is the club, if he succeeds against impossible odds he proves he is a tactical genius. Smart career move for him. The club can blame its mistakes on him if he fails, and leverage anti-Red sentiment among the fanbase. Win-win for both parties, really.
Fixed.

for anyone with a lttle time on their hands, here is Rafael's last few weeks, seen from hundreds of miles away in colder climes. It'w worth reading just for the avatars of Steve Bruce.

Incredible hahahahaha never seen a club have more detest for their management and owners.

1630493747687.png

1630493799606.png

1630493841923.png

I don't think either the club or the manager would look at it that way.

The manager gets to work in the Premiership with a squad that already has a lot of talent. He would certainly like to have been able to spend more money but realises that isn't possible in the shorter term. He has decided on the players he wants to use and certainly James seems to be the big loser but just about everybody else has been involved on the pitch at some time since the start of the season.
Next season should see the final culling of unwanted players and possibly the return of a transfer budget at some level.

The owner/club have embarked on the new stadium project, the plan is ambitious but disastrous up to the appointment of CA.
We spent huge sums of money on players that were not good enough or just a bad fit for the club.
CA bought well (with Brands) and for most of the season was well placed for a European finish.

I think they have decided the model of experienced successful manager is the template to follow and Benitez fits that completely.
The fact that he was prepared to come knowing how tight the financial constraints would be made him an even clearer choice.
The plan will be to have a top four team for the opening of the new ground... time will tell on that one.
Benitez has this season to see how each player performs, next summer we will see players leave or stay depending on how they perform this season.
There will be further huge savings on wages in twelve months as a raft of players leave and the manager will have had twelve months to convince the owners that the purse strings should be opened again.

Nail on the head. Convenient and big final wedge .

Status
Not open for further replies.