Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So despite what we've been told about getting rid of deadwood, we're stuck with these wasters on our wage bill until their contracts run out?
OK mate....
Building for the future?
Don't think so.
Not understanding your logic. Benitez is stuck with them until a window opens (so that is his fault?). We may get interested parties in these players but will they pay there current wages? (Not benitez fault again). He is stuck with them presently as the window is shut and possibly stuck with them because they might prefer the wages at Everton rather than lower wages elsewhere. None of this is benitez fault they are a hinderance to Benitez as they could release funds if anyone was interested (in the window) or those players have the power to see said contract out (again no Benitez fault). I don't know how you can blame Benitez for Iwobi, Delph etc still being here when they cannot currently be sold in a closed window ???????

I can assure I dont want to lose, nor do I like losing. I just dont agree with Benitez tactics or his management style and the results suggest its outdated and ineffective.

He's been here 15 games, we've had bad injuries and he's had next to no money in the transfer market.

What part of you thinks it's 'fair' to judge him so quickly?

You may turn out to be right in the long run, who knows, but calling for his head given the context of the situation he's in is beyond stupid at this point in time.

I don't like everything he does. Was annoyed he kept on playing Rondon when he had other options to try etc, was annoyed at the 2 in midfield. If he keeps on making the same mistakes I'll eventually call for his head too but I'll give him a fair chance to prove himself.

What we’re seeing at every club other than the top ones is that no manager is able to come in and do what Moyes effectively did for us. They’ve all been flavour of the month at some point.

Hasenhuttl, Bielsa, Dean Smith, Potter, Nuno at Wolves, even Rodgers at Leicester now, they’ve all had their moments of being a favourite and looking like they’d found a way of getting stand out results but can any of them keep it going to build season on season progression? No. Most struggle to keep it going beyond one season. Rodgers has done a better ruin than most yet Leicester probably won’t even qualify for Europe this season.

It just shows that the limitations of being a have not club in the premier league (not one of the top 6) make it almost impossible for any manager to achieve anything over the medium to long term. I’m not saying any of these managers are bad at all but just chopping and changing to the flavour of the month manager every time we’re in trouble won’t achieve anything at Everton.

I'm giving the guy a full season before I judge him within the context of having had no money to spend. (sorry 1.7m .... wow)

I don't love Benitez, I'm not a fan. I'm just someone who wants our club to do well.

I find it hilarious that the haters try framing anyone who is giving the manager a 'fair' chance as extremist RS fans who love Benitez.

Calling Evertonians who want us to win RS while hoping 'we' lose?

What great fans you are.
Totally agree with this mate
Well said

It's garbage. And we have people acting as if going 9th is an achievement. Other than the top 5/6, the league is pathetic. 8 games without a win, in the first 15 games and still 8 points clear.

Not improving on last year will be an abject failure with the state of it.
I could not agree more, spot on.

It's quite a nuances discussion, whereby we don't actually know a lot of the facts and the issue is Benitez is a very divisive figure who doesn't massively help himself.

The reality is Benitez may have made a decision that while he likes Digne, if he knows an offer is coming in in January he wants to move on. These things happen too. You'd be naive to think otherwise. Chelsea speak to Digne's agent, say they will offer 30m, they unofficially approach the club and Benitez feels that he can do more with the money than the player so indicates he will move him on. The decision is then that he wants to move forward with Godfrey for the medium term so goes on that basis. Again that may be a fallacy and it's just one scenario, but it shows that there is at least one scenario where there is not a lot of blame at anyone's door but an inevitability of football.

On the Godfrey front, the most solid we have been over the last few years have been when we played 4 cb's and Holgate/Godfrey at fullbacks. Again it may not fit people's perceptions, but the numbers don't lie. I'm not saying it's a perfect system, and I'm not saying there aren't better options we can get or that there aren't drawbacks, but honestly I think the upside is better currently. I would play the 4 CB's if fit across the back 4.

If Digne isn't going there is a question as to whether Digne is deployed in midfield. I don't think he's been that bad and I think he would probably be our best wide left putting balls into the box. Gray could play off the right and DCL & Richarlison through the middle.

As a fullback though, for what we need, I am happier with Godfrey at LB than Digne. They play the role differently, but I think Godfrey is very good in that role (in my view far better than he currently is as a CB, so it's not me blowing smoke up his backside either) but he has been good in that role. I still worry he loses too many headers, and probably needs to get confidence and size back a bit before he goes back into the middle.

Honestly couldn't give a [Poor language removed] if Digne plays or not, Brands had to go as did his staff as probably did the doctor and medical guys. You can hold those beliefs abd still believe that handing it all over to that clown Benitez is the biggest mistake of the last 27 years. Everything that was predicted is starting to come true, mayhem behind the scenes, falling out with players, tactical ineptness that has lead to one win in 12, were all easy to predict. The next lot is easy to predict too, absolute garbage brought in to replace our only decent players. Mina to Newcastle in January, Digne to Chelsea, DcL and Richarlison gone in the summer, all the while we play 442 all the way to the championship. That may not happen this season but only Stevie Wonder cannot see its the inevitable long term outcome of putting a guy in charge who hasnt been relevant in 10+ years and whose style of play, tactical accum and man management reflect just that. I hope those who back him have the good grace to hold up their hands when the day comes and say, sorry I contributed to this

For me, the long and the short of it is this:

1: Digne will be 29 in July, at that point his value will decrease.

2: If we sell him in Jan for £30mil+ and reinvest in an u23 left back e.g Aaron Hickey or Sergio Gomez for £10-15mil then thats sound business.

However...

3: If Digne goes for £23-25mil as i suspect due to being frozen out decreasing his value then thats very poor from Benitez. £25-30mil and its just 'ok' verging on poor.

In short, its all about the transfer fee and the replacement.

For me, the long and the short of it is this:

1: Digne will be 29 in July, at that point his value will decrease.

2: If we sell him in Jan for £30mil+ and reinvest in an u23 left back e.g Aaron Hickey or Sergio Gomez for £10-15mil then thats sound business.

However...

3: If Digne goes for £23-25mil as i suspect due to being frozen out decreasing his value then thats very poor from Benitez. £25-30mil and its just 'ok' verging on poor.

In short, its all about the transfer fee and the replacement.
Not a chance we get over 30m. If we get more than we paid for him, then we are doing extremely well.

We dont hold the cards in this situation. If benitez freezes him out, other clubs know that. They also know we need to sell players to buy and due to being frozen out, he will be available. We can't afford to have players that we are 'choosing' not to play on big wages, especially with our super mega injury crisis. So buying clubs hold the cards.

We know this team can turn it on at Goodison when spurned on. But a trip down to London to play Crystal Palace, has all the makings of another occasion where this team goes missing. So a win or positive result here, would be proof that the Arsenal win wasn't a fluke.

Digne’s defending has been suspect for ages. Far too many crosses come in from that side and he doesn’t have the recovery pace to deal with being out of position. Against Liverpool if Godfrey was playing right back or left back then the Salah goals don’t happen, simple as that, as he would have the recovery pace to get back in both situations before Salah could finish.

The question then becomes is what he gives us in attack of more benefit to the team than his defensive lapses and for ke that’s a resounding no, his crosses are getting worse and worse.

The argument now seems to be that we need to create a system for him where he doesn’t have to defend and he can just attack all game. That’s not a fullback for me, just seems to be a convenient excuse for a pop at the manager.

Digne hasn’t been at his best for a very long time and most people realistically know that.

He could have simply dropped Digne to the bench and said he was giving him a 'rest'.

Then his valuation wouldnt be impacted.

Not understanding your logic. Benitez is stuck with them until a window opens (so that is his fault?). We may get interested parties in these players but will they pay there current wages? (Not benitez fault again). He is stuck with them presently as the window is shut and possibly stuck with them because they might prefer the wages at Everton rather than lower wages elsewhere. None of this is benitez fault they are a hinderance to Benitez as they could release funds if anyone was interested (in the window) or those players have the power to see said contract out (again no Benitez fault). I don't know how you can blame Benitez for Iwobi, Delph etc still being here when they cannot currently be sold in a closed window ???????

If he had watched the team last season as he claimed then he could have moved players on in the summer.

Not a chance we get over 30m. If we get more than we paid for him, then we are doing extremely well.

We dont hold the cards in this situation. If benitez freezes him out, other clubs know that. They also know we need to sell players to buy and due to being frozen out, he will be available. We can't afford to have players that we are 'choosing' not to play on big wages, especially with our super mega injury crisis. So buying clubs hold the cards.

Thats what I have been saying.

Unless, a deal is already agreed.

Look
We’ve had injuries to our most important players
Our squad is rubbish
Having 2 players out hamstrings us no end
No wonder we have struggled.
People still criticising are not seeing the bigger picture
I agree that he’s stubborn and his team selection at times I disagree with but come on comparing him with BFS is ridiculous
Has the manager wasted 50m on Walcott and Cenk???
also when Sam started he has an easy fixture list as all the better teams we had already played.
I agree that comparing him with Allardyce is ridiculous. Allardyce finished 8th!

Honestly couldn't give a [Poor language removed] if Digne plays or not, Brands had to go as did his staff as probably did the doctor and medical guys. You can hold those beliefs abd still believe that handing it all over to that clown Benitez is the biggest mistake of the last 27 years. Everything that was predicted is starting to come true, mayhem behind the scenes, falling out with players, tactical ineptness that has lead to one win in 12, were all easy to predict. The next lot is easy to predict too, absolute garbage brought in to replace our only decent players. Mina to Newcastle in January, Digne to Chelsea, DcL and Richarlison gone in the summer, all the while we play 442 all the way to the championship. That may not happen this season but only Stevie Wonder cannot see its the inevitable long term outcome of putting a guy in charge who hasnt been relevant in 10+ years and whose style of play, tactical accum and man management reflect just that. I hope those who back him have the good grace to hold up their hands when the day comes and say, sorry I contributed to this
Great post my fellow Cork man.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back