2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Klopp yes, but Rodgers is in his own way as bad a manager as Benitez is.
I'm not sure on that. Like he wouldn't be my ideal Everton manager but he's definitely not stuck in 2006.

He's also won a trophy very recently. Leicester bottling the CL 2 years in a row doesn't make Rodgers a bad manager really - I mean he got them there in the first place.

He definitely does have a cycle mind. Can see this being his last season at Leicester.

In the sense he's a massive snake/weirdo/creep, then yeah he's bad.

Cowards are the same as last year.
Zonal marking is a tactical decision, who makes them?
Indeed, it’s obvious who makes the tactical decisions. Ancelotti had the whole team drop as deep as I’ve ever seen for free kicks but he also had Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison and Mina (3 of Everton’s 5 best in the air) available for far more games than this current beaut. This is why I can’t get my head around the way Everton are set up now when only Keane is brave enough to attack the ball, Digne has been ostracised and there is a severe lack of height everywhere else in the team. It’s blatant negligence, at best, from the entire coaching staff.

team for hull

--------------------Pickford----------------------

Patterson----Godfrey-----Branthwaite----Mykolenko

------------Doucoure--Onyango---Gomes---------------

Gordon--------------DCL------------------Gray
He needs to start playing 433. I just think he never will. Also if he does we probably need to get someone in to play with Doucoure and Allen. We actually have a lot of options in midfield that aren’t good enough Gomes Delph Davies Gbamin. Hope he doesn’t add Longstaff to that list.

It’s the same players and we used zonal marking last year too, just a different system.

Set pieces are the most coachable aspect of the game with the fewest variables.

We are currently 12 goals down on last season on set pieces alone

(20/21 +7 21/22 -5 so far)
It is and it isn’t the same players as Mina has barely played, Calvert-Lewin has played even less and Richarlison has also missed a number of games. Those 3 are all excellent in the air and would normally occupy the danger areas which leaves Keane and Digne….. so it leaves Keane….. to deal with the entire opposition. I’m not defending the tactics or those stats, they are as bad as I’ve ever seen for something which could be improved upon, but not with players who are a foot shorter than the opposition who are too afraid of attacking the ball. This is my issue, it’s obviously not working how it’s set up and this should of been sorted out 2 or 3 months ago. How exactly is this not being addressed by someon/anyone ffs?!

Not all coaches/managers bother with set piece training at all. Roberto Martinez certainly didnt

Those stats are damning, yet nothing is improving.

Classic from his post match interview “I do not tell the players not to keep possession of the ball”… remind anyone of Big Sam’s “I don’t tell the players not to pass to each other”.

These defensive managers never take any responsibility for their tactics or strategy. You spend every press conference telling folk the players aren’t good enough to be a possession team, you set the team up to sit in their own half and let the other team have the ball….guess what, when your team turn out to have none of the ball, can’t pass five yards - that’s on you!

Just unbelievable that this is the vision the board have bought into to rebuild the club. A terrible short term, panic decision with no long term thought behind it. Every single fan should be holding the board to account for this appointment and the latest in scattergun decisions.
Great post ?

Indeed, it’s obvious who makes the tactical decisions. Ancelotti had the whole team drop as deep as I’ve ever seen for free kicks but he also had Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison and Mina (3 of Everton’s 5 best in the air) available for far more games than this current beaut. This is why I can’t get my head around the way Everton are set up now when only Keane is brave enough to attack the ball, Digne has been ostracised and there is a severe lack of height everywhere else in the team. It’s blatant negligence, at best, from the entire coaching staff.
Because Benitez is too proud/stubborn to change his ways. If any of our defense said to him 'we learned an effective style on set pieces that baffled both opposition and commentators all of last season' they'd be benched/dropped before they could say 'clean sheet' and the talking point would be 'they don't want to be at the club'

A miracle might occur that our managers start to look a bit less rubbish when they have some of their own decent players to work with and time to work with them.

Theres no denying that the formation and tactics he is using isnt suited to almost all the defenders or centre midfielders in the team.

Thats not to say his formation and tactics are any good...simply to say that the players we have arent suited to them.

Benitez has now signed 7 players, the exact same number that Ancelotti signed. He has also now spent over £30m. He also has an almost fully fit squad. No more excuses.
GK: Lonergan / Begovic
WF: Gray / Townsend
FB: Mykolenko / Patterson
CF: Rondon

From what i understand he's spent about £30mil as you state.

Patterson (£11mil potentisllyrising to £16mil)
Mykolenko (potentially rising to £17mil)
Gray (£1.7mil)

But all in all, the wages must be well over £400k.

If he hadnt signed Rondon or Lonergan then he'd be doing well on paper.

Long term they may well work out to be great signings but with a lad coming in from Ukraine and a young lad coming down from Glasgow into a situation where team confidence is low and the whole place looks like it is ready to rip itself apart, there has to be a massive concern that they will take time to settle and it will be next season before we see anything of note from either of them, which then leaves the question , wtf do we do for the rest of this season?

*Plot twist* we sell the players contributing with the low confidence and depressing culture of failure.

*Plot twist* we get 5/6 out this window and 9/10 more in the summer and rebuild with quality younger players

Of course we need to stay up for this to be successful.

He didn't scout them though, you do know that?

That's not to not give him credit but Mykolenko seemingly was always the long-term replacement the club had in mind for Digne (and it's been expedited by the fall out) and Patterson was moved for twice in the summer (albeit with Benitez's blessing of course).

Clearly Benitez likes them too. The good thing is they are young and can develop into a few different ways of playing. Unfortunately the first style of play will be Benitez's...

You know the part in Skyfall when Javier Bardem is telling Bond...

"All this running around James, its so tiring"

Thats how i feel reading all the negative posts about Benitez now.

Its tiring...its all been said before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back