2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of angst people feel about the small club comment is amusing though, he was their manager at the time and even if you don't buy the "explanation" about style we played which is fair enough, we still laud Moyes for the peoples club comments which in effect was exactly the same type of dig at them.

You want your manager to take digs at your biggest rivals when they can, anyone who takes it so serious to heart that they still hold it as a reason to actually hate him has way lost focus on what's important in life

The amount of angst people feel about the small club comment is amusing though, he was their manager at the time and even if you don't buy the "explanation" about style we played which is fair enough, we still laud Moyes for the peoples club comments which in effect was exactly the same type of dig at them.

You want your manager to take digs at your biggest rivals when they can, anyone who takes it so serious to heart that they still hold it as a reason to actually hate him has way lost focus on what's important in life
Alcohol and scantily-clad women?

Alright mate fair , I kind of took Howard at his zenith but I accept your point
Nah mate was talking more about someone in charge who understood the club, supporters and city if you like.

Fair enough Kendall mk3 was utterly washed up as a manager by that time but the understanding was their if not the ability to push for it anymore.

We've had managers since who've said the right things but whose actions kinda betrayed it as hollow words more than a true belief or understanding. (Martinez, Moyes, Carlo) but with this bloke I actually think he does completely "get us" - how he'll do though is still anyone's guess. Actually looking forward to watching us play again though which is a massive plus for me

Nah mate was talking more about someone in charge who understood the club, supporters and city if you like.

Fair enough Kendall mk3 was utterly washed up as a manager by that time but the understanding was their if not the ability to push for it anymore.

We've had managers since who've said the right things but whose actions kinda betrayed it as hollow words more than a true belief or understanding. (Martinez, Moyes, Carlo) but with this bloke I actually think he does completely "get us" - how he'll do though is still anyone's guess. Actually looking forward to watching us play again though which is a massive plus for me
I think he’s doing a decent job and your position is reasoned , especially compared to some who seem keen to have his statue on order for beating Burnley .

maybe I’m just weary with Everton, with murals or Carlo fantastico or whatever else . That saying about the definition of insanity being doing the same things again and Expecting different results feels appropriate, if he’s still here and still delivering down the line then fair enough but I’d be wary of whoever was in the hot seat and this bloke more than most .

I think he’s doing a decent job and your position is reasoned , especially compared to some who seem keen to have his statue on order for beating Burnley .

maybe I’m just weary with Everton, with murals or Carlo fantastico or whatever else . That saying about the definition of insanity being doing the same things again and Expecting different results feels appropriate, if he’s still here and still delivering down the line then fair enough but I’d be wary of whoever was in the hot seat and this bloke more than most .
Thing for me that kinda makes me think he won't jump ship Is his time at the horse punchers - was a poisoned chalice but he stuck with it even in the championship when it'd have been so easy to walk out into another way easier job at any point.

I actually think the hands on managers who live, breathe their jobs tend to be the ones (usually) who stick around longest - Ferguson, Moyes both being good examples of this.

Maybe they become more invested through doing the hands on work with the players etc, dunno, but I'd rather have that approach than effectively a glorified PR guy who delegates the roles but gives good soundbites.

Fair enough I think Martinez was also very involved in training etc, but again he kinda did show that commitment himself at clubs.

We true blues want Everton to be great again. That means competing for the top prizes and with some success, playing with skill and determination; doing this with the dignity that has been a feature of Everton throughout our history, and enjoying alcohol and scantily clad women. If Benites can deliver this then he will be forgiven for previous sins. Amen ?

I'm not a grudge bearer, but my main issue with the statement was it was a bit of a ludicrous thing to say which he seems to have accepted himself. I'll be honest, I was also going to watch for that when we played "top" teams away. While we only have the Old Trafford performance to go on, there is absolutely no doubt he set us up to try and win, in very difficult circumstances.

My issue was always the question of what are you meant to do with limited resources. In fairness to him, he has demonstrated thus far you can have an approach to try and win a game, without being gung ho, with potentially limited resources. So he has kind of proved himself right.

Only if both the prem and eufa massively alter fpp rules mate.

Given the Geo political influence of these lot at Newcastle though that is a strong possibility. We've already witnessed what in effect is a massive bribe/bung in order to facilitate the takeover and get it passed.

Unless the rules are smashed up the cash they have can't alter the landscape as without revenue streams way in excess of what even doped up sponsorship deals can offer they can only really "buy" their way into the 6-10th pack

I am not that bothered about them. They are a long way behind us and teams in our league, I'd conservatively say 2-300m quid spent well (not money spaffed which is what I sense they will do). I think what they do will be like us with Koeman on steroids.

The flip of it, is that they basically break FFP completely, and do what City did on steroids and bring the whole infrastructure down. However, we are also prohibited from said infrastructure too, so inadvertently if they brought it down, it would benefit us anyway. Maybe not to the degree it could theoretically benefit them, but enough for us to further kick on.

The clubs with (mainly) American owners will suffer most in that scenario, as it was those who really lobbied for, and defended the existing rules.

I'm not a grudge bearer, but my main issue with the statement was it was a bit of a ludicrous thing to say which he seems to have accepted himself. I'll be honest, I was also going to watch for that when we played "top" teams away. While we only have the Old Trafford performance to go on, there is absolutely no doubt he set us up to try and win, in very difficult circumstances.

My issue was always the question of what are you meant to do with limited resources. In fairness to him, he has demonstrated thus far you can have an approach to try and win a game, without being gung ho, with potentially limited resources. So he has kind of proved himself right.

Wierdly given the size/wealth of some of the clubs he's managed he's never really had a huge backing financially compared to previous and post managers at those clubs.

The difference in financial backing Mourinho had at their three clubs in common is massive, hell even his backing at clubs he shares in common with Carlo is similarly massively reduced.

A key thing is son of his best buys at all his clubs have been either younger players that have really kicked up a level, or players who've reached a really good level beyond their actual "talent" mainly through working hard (kuyt being a great example of that as maybe so is Mertens)

I hear on the grapevine that Newcastle are prepared to build a helicopter pad on Rafael's huge lawn and provide a 24 hour personal pilot to take him to and from Newcastle, plus 24 hour armed security to protect him from assassination should the Saudi prince decide to have him butchered like he did that journalist fella. So I heard anyway.

Wierdly given the size/wealth of some of the clubs he's managed he's never really had a huge backing financially compared to previous and post managers at those clubs.

The difference in financial backing Mourinho had at their three clubs in common is massive, hell even his backing at clubs he shares in common with Carlo is similarly massively reduced.

A key thing is son of his best buys at all his clubs have been either younger players that have really kicked up a level, or players who've reached a really good level beyond their actual "talent" mainly through working hard (kuyt being a great example of that as maybe so is Mertens)

He had relatively big backing at Liverpool and Napoli.

The thing for me with Benitez is that he has struggled at the elite level. Inter, Real Madrid and to a degree Chelsea etc, where there was an expectation to not only win, but win ugly. At Liverpool, Newcastle, Napoli, ourselves (and I know Liverpool seems odd, but they were on the wain when he went there) there is a slightly lower expectation which seems to suit him.

Also the same toffees would give moyes grief for having a small time personality with how he set up away to the big clubs.

I notice many posters that reflect on moyes and mention his 'knife to a gun fight' small time aproach. Yet just won't ever get over ho. Saying we played like a small club when they come to anfield.

Also the same toffees would give moyes grief for having a small time personality with how he set up away to the big clubs.

I notice many posters that reflect on moyes and mention his 'knife to a gun fight' small time aproach. Yet just won't ever get over ho. Saying we played like a small club when they come to anfield.

You’re relentlessly boring.

Only if both the prem and eufa massively alter fpp rules mate.

Given the Geo political influence of these lot at Newcastle though that is a strong possibility. We've already witnessed what in effect is a massive bribe/bung in order to facilitate the takeover and get it passed.

Unless the rules are smashed up the cash they have can't alter the landscape as without revenue streams way in excess of what even doped up sponsorship deals can offer they can only really "buy" their way into the 6-10th pack

Isn't there also a rule regarding yearly wage rises?

Status
Not open for further replies.