Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Left for work at 9 am, got back at 11pm to find that @ForeverBlue92 has taken a break from this thread and @4737carlin stepped into his shoes without missing a beat.
And some dude called @RB4EV thinks we'll be finishing 4th. Is it a full moon tonight?
Challenging for 4th and finishing 4th is not the same... Benitez himself also said finishing 8th is nothing to be proud off so I don't think there is anything wrong with my statement.

There are those who believe Benitez will get time afforded to him because that’s the owners plan.

But since when has Moshiri had anything approaching a coherent plan on the pitch - 8 managers, 2 DoF’s and 500m spent should be a warning sign to anyone who hopes he will be given time.

I reckon its the calm before the storm.

7th-14th he keeps his job until our financial situation is clear and we can spend £200mil...then hes sacked.

15th-20th for a game or two...hes sacked

1st-6th he gets an extended stay.

I reckon its the calm before the storm.

7th-14th he keeps his job until our financial situation is clear and we can spend £200mil...then hes sacked.

15th-20th for a game or two...hes sacked

1st-6th he gets an extended stay.
Genuinely could see him gone if we get humiliated in the derby. The next 5 games are truly horrendous and I see us picking up 2 points max on current form.

if he continues to sabotage the team by picking Rondon in that period I see no way back for him.

Genuinely could see him gone if we get humiliated in the derby. The next 5 games are truly horrendous and I see us picking up 2 points max on current form.

if he continues to sabotage the team by picking Rondon in that period I see no way back for him.

Hes been an absolute idiot in his team selections and substitutions when theres been a decision to be made.

Keane
Iwobi
Rondon

Stand out over the season as well as one or two other weird ones.

I dont believe he did any research on last season. As amazing as it sounds.

There are those who believe Benitez will get time afforded to him because that’s the owners plan.

But since when has Moshiri had anything approaching a coherent plan on the pitch - 8 managers, 2 DoF’s and 500m spent should be a warning sign to anyone who hopes he will be given time.
In other words, we'll just repeat this sad cycle of patchy recruitment and a mixed bag of managerial appointments.

If he continues to sabotage the team by picking Rondon in that period I see no way back for him.
Scoring is not the problem here. Nor is Rondon with Richarlison returning.

It's the mental fragility of the back four. With Mina there, we would be at least 4 points better off now.

I'm confident he'll fix it.

Which is why I think, despite all those who are opposed on the basis of his past, we have to stick with Rafael now.

We're not going to get relegated, so let him toughen the side up, get rid of the deadwood and build up a core of solid, reliable players.

It won't be a quick fix and it would probably be the next manager that reaps the benefits, but if we can build that base now it will set us up for the future move into the new stadium.

Probably won't be fun to watch in the short term but let's be hard to beat for now and hopefully push on in the future. After all the wasted money on managers and players, this is the most sensible strategy.

I don't think the club can afford to sack him this year mate. Moshiri has hedged his bets and went out of his way to go after this appointment despite the fan unrest, he's far too stubborn to admit defeat in this one.

I don't think the club can afford to sack him this year mate. Moshiri has hedged his bets and went out of his way to go after this appointment despite the fan unrest, he's far too stubborn to admit defeat in this one.
Absolutely no evidence of that approach in his 5 year reign, (think Silva, Koeman) you would have to be a real gambler to think his behaviour will change on the back of one - extremely unpopular - appointment.

A leopard will not (thankfully in this case) change its spots.

The only caveat would be we would need to be kicking around the bottom 6, which if the next 5 games go as I expect, including a battering by Liverpool with the kopites singing his name, is something I anticipate.

Last edited:
Challenging for 4th and finishing 4th is not the same... Benitez himself also said finishing 8th is nothing to be proud off so I don't think there is anything wrong with my statement.
Just one little flaw with your statement:
We don't have a squad anywhere near good enough to challenge for 4th never mind 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back