2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the points you have made are correct.
I believe CA realised that , the board realised that and Benitez knew that before accepting the job. The injuries have simply made a difficult job even harder.

I think he has been appointed for a long term overhaul.
That was the intention however they didn’t factor in the complete capitulation that now sees us hurtling towards relegation.

For that reason this whole disastrous experiment will end sooner rather than later.

And if Benitez gets the whole season (which I strongly doubt), then 59 points is his benchmark.

You can't judge Benitez's only 13 games against Ancelotti's worst 13 games. You shouldn't really judge them together in the first place because Ancelotti is elite and Benitez is not. But you can't just use partial stats. Either judge fully against Ancelotti or don't judge at all.

Fine - nobody should be calling for the sack then. He should get 38 games. Give him 38 games then.

We both know it doesn't work that way, so with people calling him 'useless' you have to look at the data we have to see if he is.

The data shows he's basically working with the same bunch of tossers that always perform this way. You can go back the previous season too, 2019/20 - won 4, 2 draws, 7 losses, 14 points by this stage of the season, even worse than now. Last 13 games - 4 wins, 5 losses, 4 draws, 16 points, exact same as Ancelotti last season.

The data always shows the same thing - this squad, regardless of manager, with three managers to go by, are always the same.

I just can't see a win in the next three, Arsenal is probably our best shot and even that's tough. Will he survive to get to the slightly kinder run of fixtures? I struggle to see it.

Don't disagree but does the manager, and his tactics, training and subsitutions not have any impact on matches and points gained?!

The data doesn't show that. Whether it's Allardyce, Ancelotti or Benitez, we get the same results.

And the one constant in that isn't the manager, it's the players. They aren't underperforming because some 'dinosaur' is in charge, because they aren't underperforming at all. They're just absolutely terrible. The manager can only polish a turd, and if you look objectively at the situation and the hard facts over many years now, that's the inevitable conclusion you get.

Hasn't helped himself by bringing the pathetic Rondon to the club and continuing with Iwobi when literally anybody else would be a better option, but he's been dealt a horrible hand both with the squad he inherited and the injuries there have been. That said, I didn't want him, didn't agree with us getting him, and would be happy to see him fired. Not that I think any other manager in the would could do a better job with these players.

Fine - nobody should be calling for the sack then. He should get 38 games. Give him 38 games then.

We both know it doesn't work that way, so with people calling him 'useless' you have to look at the data we have to see if he is.

The data shows he's basically working with the same bunch of tossers that always perform this way. You can go back the previous season too, 2019/20 - won 4, 2 draws, 7 losses, 14 points by this stage of the season, even worse than now. Last 13 games - 4 wins, 5 losses, 4 draws, 16 points, exact same as Ancelotti last season.

The data always shows the same thing - this squad, regardless of manager, with three managers to go by, are always the same.
The difference is that under Ancelotti we weren’t ever careering down the table with no brakes on. Its not just about analysing specific ‘runs of form’. It’s that factor which means he has to go, and go now.

This appointment is doomed to fail. Everyone knows it. No amount of stats changes that fact. The owner created this mess with his abysmal decision making.

Everyone can accept that Ancelotti left us high and dry and things were unlikely to go well this year, but there was absolutely no need to appoint a divisive character with zero chance of succeeding in the circumstances.

Did we ever look down rather than up the table under Ancelotti. There is the key point and the key differential between these managers.

We're getting smashed against Liverpool and we're probably getting smashed by Arsenal.

It's not brushing them off as such, more just acknowledging the reality that a point from those two games would be overachieving.

If we lose the Palace game, then he's in massive trouble, but the two games before that aren't make or break for him.

The other day I thought he'd survive even that, but with Chelsea and Leicester waiting to smash us after that then it's really hard to see him surviving that run after the Brentford result.
So what you're saying is the inevitable will happen so why wait for him to leave us in deep muck?

I think he has been appointed for a long term overhaul.
He has no history of overhauls, his Newcastle overhaul saw them relegated and then fInish 15th or where ever it was when they came back up. He is living in the past tactically and is so far out of his depth he would drown in a puddle. Forget his connection to them and just look at his on field work for the last 10 years, it's not worthy of a L1 job nevermind our job

The data doesn't show that. Whether it's Allardyce, Ancelotti or Benitez, we get the same results.

And the one constant in that isn't the manager, it's the players. They aren't underperforming because some 'dinosaur' is in charge, because they aren't underperforming at all. They're just absolutely terrible. The manager can only polish a turd, and if you look objectively at the situation and the hard facts over many years now, that's the inevitable conclusion you get.
Well yeah the squad is weak and every season its exposed but Carlo was definitely getting more out of it with his dour tactics last season, I know it was lockdown but still we looked more solid. Benitez is a one trick pony when it comes to an attacking framework it's just cross cross cross or counter there doesn't seem to be any nuance I mean sure blame the players and lack of creativity but over the course of ten games he needs to show more too. I mean why not try more than one sub when you are one down? Or a different formation?What have you got to lose? This was my fear he is tactically old fashioned. Couple that with a large portion of the fan base never accepting him it was not a good appointment because we are desperate for stability. Failure to get a result against Brentford was absurd to me and predictable.

It is undeniable that the recent transfer record of EFC has been a disaster, a series
of bad players - quite a statistical anomaly because surely random chance would have
produced one decent and cheaply priced player but no. That record is not Rafael's fault but
where Rafael has failed badly is that he has failed to fire up the team - they play without guts or belief - and he signed Roldan.
The Roldan signing is inexplicable and suspicious. Roldan is no longer Premier League material but he's going to
be around for another 18 months making us all sadder and angry.
Rafael is a fraud and has been for years. A manager whose best years are long behind him. I would give him till
Christmas because he might pull off a win or three plus I do not want to see the chancer get another massive pay-off .

This appointment is doomed to fail. Everyone knows it. No amount of stats changes that fact. The owner created this mess with his abysmal decision making.

Everyone can accept that Ancelotti left us high and dry and things were unlikely to go well this year, but there was absolutely no need to appoint a divisive character with zero chance of succeeding in the circumstances.

Did we ever look down rather than up the table under Ancelotti. There is the key point and the key differential between these managers.

Ancelotti did oversee the most humiliating day in the club’s history. If you want to talk about the true level of these players, there it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.