2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The poll would be much different if it was done during the first 6 games of the season. Swing voters will always vote based on the recency bias theory. If Everton starts winning again and Everton looks to be improving after the changes he made, I suspect a similar poll will see a swing in the other direction.

A theory of mine but it seems like Moshiri has been doing what fans wanted for a long time, appoint someone with football knowledge, Benitez, hands him power and retreat into the background without meddling. Maybe the 500m wasted has woke him up, maybe he is focused on the stadium. Maybe Usmanov is insisting.

You can disagree with his choice but he seems to be doing what many wanted.
I think he wanted Moyes, felt that this was a similar 'clone' - but has got completely the wrong man, and has miscalculated in an absolutely appalling manner.

He has to go now, he is miles away from a Moyes figure.

I guess most fans of any club are thrilled when some billionaire buys their club. It raises hopes about the possibility of competing with the top clubs. I am totally ignorant about big business and how the various winners became billionaires, except maybe that Russian louse who cashed in during the collapse of the Soviet Union. I doubt that Chelsea fans give a toss how he made his money all those years ago. It is hard not to form an opinion on Moshiri that he appears to be clueless regarding football, but may have taken bad advice. We misspent his money that is for sure. Hopefully he will have learned a lesson and will continue to invest hopefully to better effect at Everton. We need loads of loot to succeed in this game.
Taking bad advice is a symptom of poor leadership not a cause.
I have absolutely no faith in his ownership and since he’s made so many bad decisions his wealth ,(or access to it ) , is immaterial for the near future since we can’t spend it.
He will take us down, beggar us or both.

I am confident that if people (not you) compare those wins to the games we played last year under Ancelotti most people will agree the games this season were better. If you are complaining though about 3-1 wins when we come from behind to win scoring brilliant goals then it is clear that as far as you are concerned it doesn't matter what he does you will find fault. So there doesn't seem much point in discussing the merits.
And I've accepted there were issues with games under ancelotti too. I've also given credit to benitez at times, such as arsenal and Chelsea for the reactions he got from the players in those games. And we did look better against Burnley once he changed shape, even though we had equalised before the change against the run of play.

I'm not complaining he got a few results. But it felt obvious to me that the poor style was going to be found out quickly, and those results wouldn't last. Surprise surprise, they haven't carried on.

The even bigger issue though, is even when his 'style' of play has then been failing to get results, he has just stuck with it, regardless of opposition.

He's just come off the back of the worst run we've had in decades and the owners are still backing him to the hilt with nearly 40% of the fans on here still wanting him in a job.

He's safe as houses imo - limp home to a 9th-12th finish in the table and see how he gets on next season.

For what its worth - once DCL & Richarlison are fit and on the pitch together with 2-3 in the door in January I think we'll improve second half of the season and all this will be forgotten about (apart from the usual suspects who was on his back from day one).
It's never going to be forgotten about I don't know what it is that's so hard to understand about this for some people. A sizeable number of fans didn't want him to start with don't want him now and won't want him in the future and ignoring this or acting like it will change is plain silly. If he wins trophies AND plays great football then some of those people might soften but they won't soften with a semi decent run that sees us limp to a 12th place finish I'll tell you that for free. Crystal Palace is one of the least attractive away fixtures in the calendar for us and people who go to it are the absolute hardcore of our support. When those fans sing a number of different anti Benitez songs you know it's not just a bit of a bump in the road it's a huge problem and it isn't going to magically disappear.

I didn't ask about the results. I asked about the performances which is what you had talked about.

Forget the final results, were you happy with how we played against them and the football you watched for the whole game? You know, the performances.
It has been a long time...probably Moyes..... that we have had a run of games where we consistently played well.
Even under CA when we were getting good results the football was largely poor.

First and foremost start winning games regularly then look at performances.

We have not accomplished phase one yet for quite some time.

Benitez may not succeed but as manager he does deserve a chance.
He is in the job about five months, has had no transfer budget and has had a crippling injury problem.
In my honest opinion it is far to early to assess his performance.

He's just come off the back of the worst run we've had in decades and the owners are still backing him to the hilt with nearly 40% of the fans on here still wanting him in a job.

He's safe as houses imo - limp home to a 9th-12th finish in the table and see how he gets on next season.

For what its worth - once DCL & Richarlison are fit and on the pitch together with 2-3 in the door in January I think we'll improve second half of the season and all this will be forgotten about (apart from the usual suspects who was on his back from day one).

Are you really banking on this? They’ve never looked like striking up a decent partnership in the 3 and a half years they’ve been playing together.

And I've accepted there were issues with games under ancelotti too. I've also given credit to benitez at times, such as arsenal and Chelsea for the reactions he got from the players in those games. And we did look better against Burnley once he changed shape, even though we had equalised before the change against the run of play.

I'm not complaining he got a few results. But it felt obvious to me that the poor style was going to be found out quickly, and those results wouldn't last. Surprise surprise, they haven't carried on.

The even bigger issue though, is even when his 'style' of play has then been failing to get results, he has just stuck with it, regardless of opposition.
you imply we've gone into a nosedive since the first few wins as a result of the poor style. No, the nosedive was cos of the tough run, and the horrendous injury list, and a dreadful squad which meant we had to play unfit players. But last few games we've beaten one of the form teams in the league and drew away at Chelsea when they've just won the CL and are gunning for the league. He based his whole recruitment strategy (all £1.7m) around having dcl popping in goals, only to lose him for the whole run, He's been here two minutes and already his qualities are evident. I don't know of another manager who could have got that result at Chelsea, or who is more suited to the clean out at FF we desperately need. Unlike Carlo, he is committed to the area and super motivated to succeed. We know he knows how to win. He's done it his whole career. We are very lucky to have him. The alternatives for chrissakes are Lampard Nuno and Rooney. Let's just be grateful we have a professional in charge to right the ship and clean up the mess.

It has been a long time...probably Moyes..... that we have had a run of games where we consistently played well.
Even under CA when we were getting good results the football was largely poor.

First and foremost start winning games regularly then look at performances.

We have not accomplished phase one yet for quite some time.

Benitez may not succeed but as manager he does deserve a chance.
He is in the job about five months, has had no transfer budget and has had a crippling injury problem.
In my honest opinion it is far to early to assess his performance.
He doesn't deserve a chance it's just a case of whether the club decide to give him one or not. He shouldn't have been appointed in the first place but he was and it's now put them in a very awkward position where they have to decide whether to back him or not even if things start to look extremely bleak our best players want to leave and the fans are mutinous.

Taking bad advice is a symptom of poor leadership not a cause.
I have absolutely no faith in his ownership and since he’s made so many bad decisions his wealth ,(or access to it ) , is immaterial for the near future since we can’t spend it.
He will take us down, beggar us or both.
I thought it was just me who had the bad dream of us becoming a penniless championship team playing in a lovely half empty stadium we can’t afford the repayments for.

Status
Not open for further replies.