Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ramiro Funes Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel free to go back to his thread from last year and see what we were saying about him a year ago: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ramiro-funes-mori.78362/page-501

Most of us were convinced Koeman was going to get rid. I'm not making this up.

Why??

Because he isn't any better than Jagielka, Williams, or Keane. He's as dodgy as all three of them and none of them are of the required standard.

Most were, but to me that was largely down to the fact he was a Martinez signing. He's not nearly as bad as most on here have him being IMO. I am prepared to be vaulted if he comes back and is gash (I can always blame it on his injury)

At that time people actually thought Koeman knew what he what he was doing and many went OTT about Mori's limitations.

He'll be at the WC starting games for one of the favourites and Koeman will be on the golf course in his tireless effort to get the Oranje back in business.

No, I'm sorry dave but it wasn't OTT, they were all valid criticisms. He can be an utter calamity back there as much as the other frauds we have playing that position but because he has been injured for nearly a year that has faded from a lot of peoples' memories.

He isn't a solution. Most of us wanted him sold because he can't be relied upon.

He'll be at the WC but as @argietoffee 's post above states, that's not because he's superb but because the competition for places in that position for Argentina is weak.

At that time people actually thought Koeman knew what he what he was doing and many went OTT about Mori's limitations.

He'll be at the WC starting games for one of the favourites and Koeman will be on the golf course in his tireless effort to get the Oranje back in business.

:coffee::coffee:

This is probably a good time to remind you that you were listing him as part of the group of players you wanted cleared out:

I think that's key. You do need to feel confident that you wont get done by committing more numbers to attack.

We need a clear out at the back. Williams we have to cut our losses on and get rid imo, as he's way too slow and he wont accept bench time I dont suppose; Mori has errors in him; Jagielka is only getting older and slower and Baines and coleman aren't the best at covering or positionally good. Holgate as CB? Maybe. Galloway he obviously does not fancy. And the GK's aren't exactly the types that give defences confidence.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...n-it-be-maintained.95946/page-23#post-5410119

Our back line are poor to begin with. Replacing Williams and Mori wont be difficult.

Kenny Holgate Jagielka Baines.

They will be without the likes of Mahrez, Vardy, Drinkwater, Morgan and I wouldn't mind betting Schmeichael.

It's the whole defensive unit though. Not one or two.

Williams looks like £9M poorly spent. We should have saved that and pt it to a bid for Keane. Baines, despite the nostalgia, is not fit to be a starter in any top four aspiring team. Jagielka is not the quality needed, and Mori is making one too many mistakes per match now.

Baines and Jagielka: stick a fork in those two, they're done. They are the players of two managers ago and not fit for purpose. Get shut.

Williams: I have to hold my hand up here and say I got this one dreadfully wrong. I thought he was exactly what we need, given his leadership qualities. I dont see that at Everton, and I now see how limited his game is close up.

Mori: I like the player. He has something that maybe needs a shift elsewhere to bring out. A move to a mid-table Spanish club would possibly suit.

Coleman: retain. A very good competitor and has potency in him up front. Should be made captain even in his rehabilitation period to underline he's very much still in the plan.

If any one of Williams, Baines, Jagielka, Mori are automatic starters next season I'd consider it a failure to progress.

Most were, but to me that was largely down to the fact he was a Martinez signing. He's not nearly as bad as most on here have him being IMO. I am prepared to be vaulted if he comes back and is gash (I can always blame it on his injury)
You yourself said he wasn't good enough to be starting for us in the summer.

The ones I highlighted in red played little if any part last year so really weren't part of any squad and don't need replacing necessarily. I think Mori will stay and while I agree that he's not good enough as a starter, he'd be fine for injury cover and/or against lesser opponents in Europe. One of Robles or Stek will stay, Barry is useful as cover and also for leadership, I think he'll stay. Ross and Rom are obviously big, but other than that, I don't think there's much of an issue. Koeman likes a smaller, tighter squad. We should invest in quality, not in numbers.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/summer-transfer-window-2017.94428/page-1724#post-5543917'

He's not good enough now and wasn't then, but loads of us appear to have forgotten how little they rated him before.

He wasnt good enough before he got hurt and he still won't be good enough when he gets back

The worm will turn, just as it did with Robles. I can wait

And no, this isn't a defence of Williams or Jags, who are both finished

I'd be playing Keane and Holgate

Keane has been shaky, but he's better than Funes Mori

Last edited:
No, I'm sorry dave but it wasn't OTT, they were all valid criticisms. He can be an utter calamity back there as much as the other frauds we have playing that position but because he has been injured for nearly a year that has faded from a lot of peoples' memories.

He isn't a solution. Most of us wanted him sold because he can't be relied upon.

He'll be at the WC but as @argietoffee 's post above states, that's not because he's superb but because the competition for places in that position for Argentina is weak.
He's a very decent centre back who in another system can do a job. He also would be our most potent weapon in the opposition box from corners and free kicks.

Needs bring ing back in ASAP.

He's a very decent centre back who in another system can do a job. He also would be our most potent weapon in the opposition box from corners and free kicks.

Needs bring ing back in ASAP.
You wanted him cleared a year ago though Dave.

I'll give you the bit about corners and free kicks but it doesn't matter what system you put him in, he's got mistakes in him every time he plays.

You wanted him cleared a year ago though Dave.

I'll give you the bit about corners and free kicks but it doesn't matter what system you put him in, he's got mistakes in him every time he plays.

Should fit our defence to a tee then.

That backs my post you quote up: I stated there that the criticisms were OTT and they were, and my earlier comments you pulled from the vault agree hardly me slating the feller. I say he's a decent player.

A smoking gun without the smoke.

Did I misread all them bits where you say you wanted a clear out and name him specifically as a player with mistakes in him who you didn't want starting and thought should be shipped out to a mid-table Spanish or Italian club?

You yourself said he wasn't good enough to be starting for us in the summer.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/summer-transfer-window-2017.94428/page-1724#post-5543917'

He's not good enough now and wasn't then, but loads of us appear to have forgotten how little they rated him before.

LOL....to be fair I would have said all our defenders weren't good enough at that time. Given that all we have that we didn't then is a year older Holgate (who at that point had been used almost exclusively as a RB) and a nervous, low on confidence Keane I'd say the same now, but I see potential in Holgate (and perhaps Keane). I just didn't see the point of selling him since he is definitely good enough as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back