Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ramiro Funes Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to see what he can become with some tutoring from big Sam. He’s good with the ball at his feet but his positioning and recklessness let’s him down at times. If he can turn Williams around he can turn RFM into a real defender surely.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/01/08/funes-mori

World Cup Goal Driving Funes Mori Towards Comeback.

Ramiro Funes Mori says the prospect of playing in this summer’s World Cup is driving him to get fit - and then rediscover his best form for Everton.

The defender is working towards a comeback from a serious knee problem, having last appeared for the Blues in March last year.

Before his injury, the 26-year-old had started 10 of Argentina’s World Cup qualifiers and taken his total number of outings for his nation to 19.

All but one of those caps have been earned during his time at Goodison Park and the centre-half signed from River Plate in September 2015 knows he must make a telling impact on his return to club football if he is to get the nod for Russia.

“As an international player, the World Cup is a big thing but I think I have to recover well first,” he said in an exclusive interview with The Everton Show. “It looks like the timing is going to be good to be at a good level of fitness for the World Cup but I’m thinking about being fit and playing for Everton first, and then the World Cup.

“I don’t want to be fit and then start thinking about the World Cup. I know I have to play well for Everton in order to go to the tournament, and that’s what’s most important.”

Finalists in Brazil four years ago, Argentina only guaranteed their place at this summer’s tournament with a Lionel Messi-inspired 3-1 win over Peru in their final CONMEBOL qualifier in October, the Barcelona forward grabbing all three goals as Jorge Sampaoli’s side finished third behind Brazil and Uruguay.

The Argentines will face Iceland, Croatia and Nigeria in Group D in Russia and, despite their stuttering qualification campaign, Funes Mori insists the demand back home - and within the squad - will be for the 1978 and 1986 champions to end their 32-year wait for a third World Cup trophy.

“It’s a tough group,” he added. “Iceland are a very good team. I have spoken to Gylfi [Sigurdsson] about it but not too much just yet.

“They don’t have lot of very big names but I think as a squad and a team they are very strong and they have shown that in the qualifiers.

“Of course, Argentina have massive players. We have the best player in [the world] in Lionel Messi, and the fans have big expectations about the World Cup.

“It’s going to be tough, the group is hard, but Argentina always has big expectations.”

Watch The Everton Show, featuring Ramiro Funes Mori as a studio guest, above or by clicking here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back