• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

RB Leipzig

Former number 1 keeper, relegated back to number 2, is off on loan to Salzburg to be a number 1 again. Shame as he’s decent and far too good for the Austrian league but no room with Vandevoordt on his way from Genk.

2024/25 SEASON PREVIEW

OVERVIEW

We back baby! Oh how I've missed you thread. Season officially kicks off tomorrow with the first fixture in hopefully a long campaign in the DFB-Pokal against 3rd division side Rot-Weiss Essen. Ties like these are usually straightforward but German lower sides have a habit of knocking out the big guns early when they're not quite up to speed. Pre-season was fairly mysterious outside of a first trip to the US with a couple of behind-closed-doors friendlies played followed by a full sweep of results beating Villa, losing to Wolves, and finally drawing with PSG. Due to the heavy participation at the Euros and underage tournaments the squad was absolutely decimated of senior players for the most part so I'm expecting quite a slow start to the campaign - even more so with the injury woes.

In terms of club structure the biggest news was Marcel Schafer being poached from Wolfsburg to become the new Managing Director of Sport with oversight of men's, underage and even the women's sides. Marco Rose and his backroom staff also received contract extensions to 2026 which is just reward and adds a little stability. There has also been a new initiative to better bridge the gap between the U19's and the senior side with the creation of a "Focus Player Program", discussions about a feeder team, and also a further push to bring a 2nd team into the professional leagues which seemed dead for a while.

All of Leverkusen, Bayern and Dortmund have strengthened in the off-season so I think a title push is just not possible and I believe the club will again aim for a Top 4 finish and a cup final. It's a bit of a shame the club won't just go for it in the transfer market to try finally win the league but the requirements to bring in heavy funds each Summer makes it a little too tough. Exciting season ahead anyway!

TRANSFERS

Okay, so window is still open and the media have already been briefed this week the work isn't done so this is premature but still got to evaluate something. Compared to last Summer this one has been incredibly quiet by Leipzig's standard which is a really welcome change, as exciting as signings are, you just can't expect to win titles if you change 4-5 key players every single Summer. Obviously the biggest news was pipping Bayern Munich and the PL to re-signing Xavi on loan (whom I think won't ever be here permanently) and the fairly obvious transfer of Euro champion Dani Olmo back to Barcelona - whom, whilst a wonderful player, was never, ever fit and €55m is a great fee. To replace him, RBL have brought in Norwegian youngster Antonio Nusa as well as German hot prospect Assan Ouedraogo (another ahead of Bayern, sniff it) whom offer different things completely really to Olmo. On top of these deals was the pre-agreed move for Genk goalkeeper Vandervoordt who will come in as the new number 2 with Blaswich off to Salzburg.

Club are supposedly still looking for another attacker, a number 6 and someone for the defense - the defensive midfielder should be the priority for me with Schlager still out till Christmas after his ACL. There is still a big reliance of utility players to cover full-back positions which is getting a bit tiresome too. There was also the "one more year" Leipzig special contract to Sesko so he definitely needs replacing now if possible to future proof.

1723834257977.png

Still a couple of weeks left of the window - let's hope I can add to the above with a couple of new players! The squad below is fairly well covered but with injuries to Schlager, Elmas, Ouedraogo, Bitshiabu, as well as potential loan/sale of Andre Silva it starts to get thin especially with the new CL format this season. Give me some help down the spine and more importantly, 3 years on the trot, give me some HEIGHT. Team is tiny.

lineup.png

RBL Matchday

Bundesliga is finally back! Well, for Leipzig, started last night with Laterkusen but we'll say no more on those witches. It begins with a home tie against Bochum whom, if you want to fight for the tiele, should be dispatched with not much fussed but slow starts to season can occur. Outside of Schlager and you'd say Nusa (bench) starting as Olmo's replacement it's the strongest lineup in my eyes you could field. Hoping for a quick start and some hungry goalscorers in Sesko and Openda! Although Openda has just had a kid so he's probs gonna be half asleep. There's also a bench spot for 16-year old local boy Gebel who had a strong pre-season. Sadly I've offered to do my friends garden so missing all footie today. 2-0? Maybe?

Game is LIVE from 14.30pm

RBL Matchday

Bundesliga is finally back! Well, for Leipzig, started last night with Laterkusen but we'll say no more on those witches. It begins with a home tie against Bochum whom, if you want to fight for the tiele, should be dispatched with not much fussed but slow starts to season can occur. Outside of Schlager and you'd say Nusa (bench) starting as Olmo's replacement it's the strongest lineup in my eyes you could field. Hoping for a quick start and some hungry goalscorers in Sesko and Openda! Although Openda has just had a kid so he's probs gonna be half asleep. There's also a bench spot for 16-year old local boy Gebel who had a strong pre-season. Sadly I've offered to do my friends garden so missing all footie today. 2-0? Maybe?

Game is LIVE from 14.30pm

RBL won 1-0 yesterday in a searing hot climate with a debut goal for Nusa a few mins after he came on - same for the cup.

In transfer news: Vermeeren is coming from Atletico.

Don't usually dabble with Leipzig rumours but this would be an insane move if pulled off. He's unreal.

And 24 hours later the hype has been extinguished. Looks like if Simakan goes before tomorrow's deadline they'll reignite their interest in Geertruida whom they tried to sign last Summer and admittedly fits better in the squad as a player than can play both RB and CB.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back