Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

RB Leipzig

Rooney I definitely don't remember. Messi was like Mbappe in that you could see he was going to be unbelievable, but he wasn't already doing it like Håland is.

How do we equate "best" anyway in this argument?

If it's stats alone then at 19, without checking, he's maybe scored more than Mbappe in a proper league but even then France > Austria/Norway? If you're not being a stat junkie (likely are) then not sure how he looks better at football than Rooney, Messi etc. at that age in modern times. Even Sancho looks better at football than he does IMO.

If it's stats alone then at 19, without checking, he's maybe scored more than Mbappe in a proper league but even then France > Austria/Norway? If you're not being a stat junkie (likely are) then not sure how he looks better at football than Rooney, Messi etc. at that age in modern times. Even Sancho looks better at football than he does IMO.
It's tough to compare exactly because they are all slightly different from Håland but his combination of power, pace, instincts and ruthless finishing technique are just unbelievable. He's not a dribbler or creator like those guys so that makes it a bit difficult, but I've seen few players at any age who play like Håland.

It's tough to compare exactly because they are all slightly different from Håland but his combination of power, pace, instincts and ruthless finishing technique are just unbelievable. He's not a dribbler or creator like those guys so that makes it a bit difficult, but I've seen few players at any age who play like Håland.

I think you've maybe staring a little too hard at the "goals scored" column if you think he's the best 19-year old to exist.

I think you've maybe staring a little too hard at the "goals scored" column if you think he's the best 19-year old to exist.
As far as columns go, that's an important one.

But I really stand by it. I genuinely think he's as good as any striker around, at any age, right now. He's a quite amazing goal scorer. I'd say Lewandowski, Aguero and Mbappe are clearly better but after that he's right there. And if he keeps this up the rest of the year in Germany/CL he will have proven a lot of the questions about Austria to be unfounded, imo.

As far as columns go, that's an important one.

But I really stand by it. I genuinely think he's as good as any striker around, at any age, right now. He's a quite amazing goal scorer. I'd say Lewandowski, Aguero and Mbappe are clearly better but after that he's right there. And if he keeps this up the rest of the year in Germany/CL he will have proven a lot of the questions about Austria to be unfounded, imo.

Same bracket as Kane? Immobile? Dybala? Ronaldo? Higuain? Cavani? Icardi? Lukaku? Benzema?

It literally is stats alone. He’s American, I don’t think he watches much football.

Same bracket as Kane? Immobile? Dybala? Ronaldo? Higuain? Cavani? Icardi? Lukaku? Benzema?
Without a question he's as good as any of those. I mean at least you have to really split hairs to pick between them. He's in the same class.

Actually Rom is an interesting comparison because physically he's every bit as gifted and he's a great finisher like Rom was, but the movement and hold up parts that took Rom years to get better at, Håland already does those really well.

It literally is stats alone. He’s American, I don’t think he watches much football.
I've watched every minute he's played after the first game at Dortmund, plus a couple of the CL games from the group stage.

Amazingly people can watch matches and enjoy statistical breakdowns. I know that's tough to wrap your head around but it happens.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back