Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

RB Leipzig

The fans are opposing RBL's clever way of bypassing the 50+1 rule.

Got absolutely nothing to do with your opening - and incorrect - statement of "Is that the club they bought and then mercilessly dissolved"

That was a tongue in cheek quote. My gripe is exactly the same as every other fan’s problem with them. They are a franchise, a vehicle to make Red Bull money just as all their other clubs are. They are everything wrong with modern football and it is in all of our best interests that they fail.

That was a tongue in cheek quote. My gripe is exactly the same as every other fan’s problem with them. They are a franchise, a vehicle to make Red Bull money just as all their other clubs are. They are everything wrong with modern football and it is in all of our best interests that they fail.

Who cares if the team makes a drinks company money? What's that actually got to do with anything?

They've completely resurrected football in Eastern Germany, brought a famous city - and the first ever German champions - back into the light whilst also saving two debt-ridden Eastern clubs (Markranstädt & FC Sachsen) as well as making sure the talent in the East wasn't automatically lost to the west.

You may have some sort of problem with Red Bull as a company and a conglomerate but I really don't see why you can't just look at it as a football team trying to win things and doing it with a far more sustainable model than most other teams whilst actually not spending a lot of money.

Another interesting read. It seems Dortmund have taken a particular dislike to them.

Read this: https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/12/06/why-germanys-501-rule-is-living-on-borrowed-time/

Who cares if the team makes a drinks company money? What's that actually got to do with anything?

They've completely resurrected football in Eastern Germany, brought a famous city - and the first ever German champions - back into the light whilst also saving two debt-ridden Eastern clubs (Markranstädt & FC Sachsen) as well as making sure the talent in the East wasn't automatically lost to the west.

You may have some sort of problem with Red Bull as a company and a conglomerate but I really don't see why you can't just look at it as a football team trying to win things and doing it with a far more sustainable model than most other teams whilst actually not spending a lot of money.

Because it isn’t that at all. It’s a completely bent and corrupt organisation, they send Leipzig all the best players from Salzburg and New York RB for paltry sums because the company knows that their most lucrative income source in football is through Leipzig nowadays. That is “sustainable” because it doesn’t happen anywhere else, and creates a completely unfair playing field. No other club in the world has access to multiple feeder clubs who will just hand over players because the Red Bull CEO tells them they have to.

We need to be careful these lot don’t enter English football. I could see them buying someone like Salford, and it would kill our game.

Because it isn’t that at all. It’s a completely bent and corrupt organisation, they send Leipzig all the best players from Salzburg and New York RB for paltry sums because the company knows that their most lucrative income source in football is through Leipzig nowadays. That is “sustainable” because it doesn’t happen anywhere else, and creates a completely unfair playing field.

We need to be careful these lot don’t enter English football. I could see them buying someone like Salford, and it would kill our game.

Have any of Red Bull's team won a European competition? Are any of them abusing the linked teams to dominate the Champion's League? No.

RB Salzburg are dominating a minor European league and RB Leipzig are one of several decent (and some other "plastic" teams) currently trying to catch Bayern.

German fans hate Leipzig because they disrespected the 50+1 rule but it's an archaic rule, one the article I linked has been broken before & one that really just stops German clubs from ever becoming European heavyweights.

Have any of Red Bull's team won a European competition? Are any of them abusing the linked teams to dominate the Champion's League? No.

RB Salzburg are dominating a minor European league and RB Leipzig are one of several decent (and some other "plastic" teams) currently trying to catch Bayern.

German fans hate Leipzig because they disrespected the 50+1 rule but it's an archaic rule, one the article I linked has been broken before & one that really just stops German clubs from ever becoming European heavyweights.

The original aim of Red Bull was to invest in Salzburg to make them a force in the European game. When they realised that was never going to happen due to the limitations of the Austrian league, that’s when they sought out a German team. Salzburg now exist simply to be a feeder club for Leipzig and that’s it. Which makes it quite funny that they went further than them and beat them in the EL but that’s a story for another day (and a result that Red Bull themselves would have been fuming with).

I know about Hoffenheim, but there is a difference to me between investing in an existing club, and artificially creating a franchise for the sole purpose of growing your already gigantic corporate empire.

The original aim of Red Bull was to invest in Salzburg to make them a force in the European game. When they realised that was never going to happen due to the limitations of the Austrian league, that’s when they sought out a German team. Salzburg now exist simply to be a feeder club for Leipzig and that’s it. Which makes it quite funny that they went further than them and beat them in the EL but that’s a story for another day (and a result that Red Bull themselves would have been fuming with).

I know about Hoffenheim, but there is a difference to me between investing in an existing club, and artificially creating a franchise for the sole purpose of growing your already gigantic corporate empire.

Yes, again, your issue is with Red Bull as an organisation not with Red Bull Leipzig as a sporting club.

Pumping money into a lowly team to get them promoted is no different to what they did at Hoffenheim, what they do at Wolfsburg and what we have at Everton.

The overall goal of brand exposure is a different matter but personally couldn’t care less as it’s not about football.

Yes, again, your issue is with Red Bull as an organisation not with Red Bull Leipzig as a sporting club.

Pumping money into a lowly team to get them promoted is no different to what they did at Hoffenheim, what they do at Wolfsburg and what we have at Everton.

The overall goal of brand exposure is a different matter but personally couldn’t care less as it’s not about football.

Well unfortunately I cannot separate the two, because the Red Bull logo is all over everything they do, they’ve made the whole thing about the organisation and not about the football club from the very beginning. It’s just another giant advertising board for Red Bull to me, and it seems like that’s exactly what they want it to be.

Well unfortunately I cannot separate the two, because the Red Bull logo is all over everything they do, they’ve made the whole thing about the organisation and not about the football club from the very beginning. It’s just another giant advertising board for Red Bull to me, and it seems like that’s exactly what they want it to be.

Maybe so and maybe I’m just fortunate enough to be able to ignore Red Bull and solely enjoy the football, the way they’re run & the exciting times ahead for the team.

Maybe so and maybe I’m just fortunate enough to be able to ignore Red Bull and solely enjoy the football, the way they’re run & the exciting times ahead for the team.

That’s fair enough mate. I’m enjoying our polar opposite but both reasonable stances in this thread and I’m sure it will throw up some entertaining banter and debate throughout the season x

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back