Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anybody regularly use a bread maker like THIS?

I used one for a while about 10yrs ago when a room mate had one and remember it being as simple as add the ingredients as stated....pick the setting...and leave it go.

Ive tried 10 times now since i got this one and only had one passable pan. Comes out really dense.

An6 suggestions welcome, altho im wondering if its just not working well as it def was all quite simple and automatic last time around. (My memory could be failing me tho...)

Anybody regularly use a bread maker like THIS?

I used one for a while about 10yrs ago when a room mate had one and remember it being as simple as add the ingredients as stated....pick the setting...and leave it go.

Ive tried 10 times now since i got this one and only had one passable pan. Comes out really dense.

An6 suggestions welcome, altho im wondering if its just not working well as it def was all quite simple and automatic last time around. (My memory could be failing me tho...)
Got one from the mother in law as a gift years ago and used it a couple of times. As you say, it was almost like using a microwave in terms of simplicity - add the ingredients and let it go.

If your bread is coming out dense, that suggests it isn’t getting a good rise during proving. Either I’d check the heating element in the machine (they usually warm the dough up to blood temp or thereabouts to speed up proving - if it’s knackered then the dough won’t have risen enough come baking time) or the yeast you’re using. Is it in date, etc? Try mixing some of the yeast and sugar in blood temp water and leaving it for a few mins; if it is all bubbly you’re good, if not it’s knackered.

Got one from the mother in law as a gift years ago and used it a couple of times. As you say, it was almost like using a microwave in terms of simplicity - add the ingredients and let it go.

If your bread is coming out dense, that suggests it isn’t getting a good rise during proving. Either I’d check the heating element in the machine (they usually warm the dough up to blood temp or thereabouts to speed up proving - if it’s knackered then the dough won’t have risen enough come baking time) or the yeast you’re using. Is it in date, etc? Try mixing some of the yeast and sugar in blood temp water and leaving it for a few mins; if it is all bubbly you’re good, if not it’s knackered.

Thanks a lot.

Its a new machine i got for my bday back in August. Do you know how id be able to tell if it's the heating element?

Ill try the yeast tmro. Last couple time i used it in powder form and i think that should keep. Ive also used fresh yeast you get in those little cubes. Not had any luck with either.

Glad im not going mad tho, and am right that it should be more or less straightforward!

Thanks a lot.

Its a new machine i got for my bday back in August. Do you know how id be able to tell if it's the heating element?

Ill try the yeast tmro. Last couple time i used it in powder form and i think that should keep. Ive also used fresh yeast you get in those little cubes. Not had any luck with either.

Glad im not going mad tho, and am right that it should be more or less straightforward!
Only thing I can think of is to simply let it run its proving function, pausing the process and checking by feel. If it’s warm, the heating process has worked and if not it hasn’t!!

I absolutely love soups but fennel is not my favorite, although I’m always willing to give new food a try. Do you have the recipe?
30264346-22E2-4BBA-B99B-A160EA43E889.webp
Dice first four ingredients and sauté in the butter until soft. Add the wine and cook off for a few mins. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 mins, then blend.

To be honest there isn’t a strong fennel taste, so I think you’ll like it.

Rick Stein’s vegetarian pasta is worth a try, very tasty.

Ingredients
Load of cherry or baby plum tomatoes, cut in half and squeeze the middles out.
Handful of fresh chopped mint.
Handful of fresh chopped parsley.
2 large cloves of garlic
Handful of capers drained and chopped
Olive oil
Chilli flakes
Black pepper
Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
Dry spaghetti or linguine

Get the pasta on the go and cook until al dente.

Fry the crushed garlic cloves gently in the oil to flavour it, then remove them from the pan.
Add tomatoes cook for 2 mins then add chilli flakes stir in and cook for another 1 min add twist of Black pepper
Add capers cook for 1 min
Add handful of mint and parsley
Drain pasta off and add to the pan and toss.
Finish off with pecorino or Parmesan.

It’s delightful, quite a dry sauce but coat the pasta well, you should have a nice kick from the chilli and be able to taste the mint.

In emergencies ....

FJkxYbvXMAQBNWc

I absolutely love soups but fennel is not my favorite, although I’m always willing to give new food a try. Do you have the recipe?
I grow fennel and beetroot as they do well in containers on our terrace. This recipe for fennel and beetroot risotto with feta cheese is great. The fennel taste is not so strong as it is disguised by the other flavours.

IMG_20200526_141232_593.webphttps://www.naturalhealthmag.com.au/nourish/beetroot-fennel-risotto-recipe-crumbled-feta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back