Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 152839
Dice first four ingredients and sauté in the butter until soft. Add the wine and cook off for a few mins. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 mins, then blend.

To be honest there isn’t a strong fennel taste, so I think you’ll like it.
Sounds delicious, even with the fennel. My mom loves chestnuts so I’m going to make it for her next time she visits and let you know how it went.

I grow fennel and beetroot as they do well in containers on our terrace. This recipe for fennel and beetroot risotto with feta cheese is great. The fennel taste is not so strong as it is disguised by the other flavours.

View attachment 152849https://www.naturalhealthmag.com.au/nourish/beetroot-fennel-risotto-recipe-crumbled-feta
Thanks for sharing this recipe, it sounds tasty even with the fennel. Beetroots are one of my favorite veggies but I always have mixed results growing them on my garden beds. I didn’t realize they would do well in containers. Where do you live? And what season do you begin growing your beetroots on your terrace.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, it sounds tasty even with the fennel. Beetroots are one of my favorite veggies but I always have mixed results growing them on my garden beds. I didn’t realize they would do well in containers. Where do you live? And what season do you begin growing your beetroots on your terrace.
This is one for @Joey66 ´s gardening thread...

I'm in Barcelona so I start them off in March which is a bit earlier than you would in colder areas. When I was in England I used to start them in mid April. They are really easy as you just sow the seeds outdoors, directly into the pot, 3 inches apart and they grow very quickly. You need quite deep pots or window boxes (10 inches) to give the roots room. I was surprised that they did well here as they are supposed to not like high temperatures. The leaves are nice too as a colourful alternative to spinach - cooked or in salads.

This is one for @Joey66 ´s gardening thread...

I'm in Barcelona so I start them off in March which is a bit earlier than you would in colder areas. When I was in England I used to start them in mid April. They are really easy as you just sow the seeds outdoors, directly into the pot, 3 inches apart and they grow very quickly. You need quite deep pots or window boxes (10 inches) to give the roots room. I was surprised that they did well here as they are supposed to not like high temperatures. The leaves are nice too as a colourful alternative to spinach - cooked or in salads.
I usually start mine around the same time indoors but then transplant them outdoors to my rise bed. There years that I’m successful and get good crops, there other years that I don’t. I may experiment this year with growing a few in containers and see if they do better.

I bought a load of dirt cheap button mushrooms today. Anybody got any child- proof easy recipes to use them up before they go off ?
A bit late, but Hungarian Mushroom Soup is incredible.

Cant remember the exact ingredient amounts off the top of my head, but it's supposed to be fairly rustic anyway :p

Fry onions, a little bit of garlic and LOTS of mushrooms in butter until tender.
Add a few teaspoons of sweet or smoked paprika (what ever your taste) and cook off for a minute or so
Add enough veg stock to cover the mushrooms.
The add equal parts heavy cream and sour cream.
Season to taste with salt/pepper pepper.
Garnish with chopped chives or fresh parsley.

A proper warming, but not to heavy winter soup!

A bit late, but Hungarian Mushroom Soup is incredible.

Cant remember the exact ingredient amounts off the top of my head, but it's supposed to be fairly rustic anyway :p

Fry onions, a little bit of garlic and LOTS of mushrooms in butter until tender.
Add a few teaspoons of sweet or smoked paprika (what ever your taste) and cook off for a minute or so
Add enough veg stock to cover the mushrooms.
The add equal parts heavy cream and sour cream.
Season to taste with salt/pepper pepper.
Garnish with chopped chives or fresh parsley.

A proper warming, but not to heavy winter soup!
Sounds yummy. May google to see if I find a recipe because I have a lot of mushrooms that need to be used soon and I love soups.

@Sassy Colombian meals for someone with type 2 diabetes.

View attachment 153048
I did the keto diet as a weight loss thing a few years back. It was originally a diet created for diabetics I believe.
Most of the recipes are high in healthy fats and VERY low in sugars and carbs.

If this is what you are looking for, let me know and I'll dig out my old notebook. (Thinking of getting back in it myself to shift some weight for a trip to Gran Canarias in a few months myself! lol )

I did the keto diet as a weight loss thing a few years back. It was originally a diet created for diabetics I believe.
Most of the recipes are high in healthy fats and VERY low in sugars and carbs.

If this is what you are looking for,lol let me know and I'll dig out my old notebook. (Thinking of getting back in it myself to shift some weight for a trip to Gran Canarias in a few months myself! )

Cheers mate. I know what you mean about shifting the weight for the hols, shift a few calories so the thong fits! lol

Cheers mate. I know what you mean about shifting the weight for the hols, shift a few calories so the thong fits! lol
I'm just about to head off to bed, but I'll give you all my fave keto salad, which has very little carbs, only trace amounts of sugar, is incredibly filling and can be thrown together with little skill into one bowl!

Tuna, cucumber & avocado salad.

x1 tin of tuna (145/150grams) drained - same amount of tinned red or pink salmon works great for this as well if you're feeling fancy! ?
1/2 of a small red onion finely diced.
1/2 cup of cucumber diced into small fork sized pieces (You can add more if you like)
1 whole avocado diced into similar sized pieces.
1 big handful of finely chopped coriander leaves.
Juice of 1/2 lemon.
2 or 3 big glugs of decent olive oil.
big pinch of salt and plenty of cracked black pepper.
Mix together and enjoy.

It wont look like a huge portion, but you've got some decent healthy fat content in the oily fish, avocado & olive oil, so the dish is really filling and that coming from a greedy git like me ?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back