Recipes, kitchen tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Sunday, @LouReedwalkonthewildside Here are some of the recipes that I had shared before with my father in-law who is diabetic and with my dad who is prediabetic. Some of these recipes still have some carbs. Most adults with diabetes can aim for 45-60 grams of carbs per meal and 15-20 grams per snack. That number may go up or down, depending on how active you are and the medicines you take so you may want to check with your doctor when you meet next time about how many grams they recommend. But taking carbs completely out of your diet is not something realistic, while carbs do affect blood sugar levels, which is why you’ll need to keep up with how many you eat each day. Some carbs have vitamins, minerals, and fiber so they are also an important part of a well balanced diet. So choose those carbs that have whole grains, fruits, and vegetables and eat them in moderation and you should be fine. While I have listed several recipes here. I would recommend visiting the Eating Well website for additional recipes, they have many.

Hearty Chicken and Spinach Stew

Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Salad

Skillet lemon chicken and potatoes with kale

Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad

Sweet Potato Black bean Burgers

Red Lentil and Cauliflower Curry

Slow Cooker Braised Beef with Carrots and Turnips

Garlic Roasted Salmon and Brussel Sprouts

Apple Bacon and Sweet Potato Mini Casserole

Since I read that you have a sweet tooth here is the link for several diabetes friendly desserts

Flourless Banana Chocolate Mini Muffins

I'm trying to reduce my meat consumption somewhat this year, so thought I'd try a laksa with flat rice noodles and tofu, topped with bok choy and runner beans (fried in sesame oil and mirin), coriander, lime, and beansprouts.

View attachment 153392

Here's the recipe in case anybody fancies giving it a go: https://www.lazycatkitchen.com/vegan-laksa/
Me too! Looks yummy and I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing it.

Maybe even some of my other vegetarian friends here would be interested too so I’m tagging @jazzy and @Gwladysover in case they want to check out this recipe too.

Happy Sunday, @LouReedwalkonthewildside Here are some of the recipes that I had shared before with my father in-law who is diabetic and with my dad who is prediabetic. Some of these recipes still have some carbs. Most adults with diabetes can aim for 45-60 grams of carbs per meal and 15-20 grams per snack. That number may go up or down, depending on how active you are and the medicines you take so you may want to check with your doctor when you meet next time about how many grams they recommend. But taking carbs completely out of your diet is not something realistic, while carbs do affect blood sugar levels, which is why you’ll need to keep up with how many you eat each day. Some carbs have vitamins, minerals, and fiber so they are also an important part of a well balanced diet. So choose those carbs that have whole grains, fruits, and vegetables and eat them in moderation and you should be fine. While I have listed several recipes here. I would recommend visiting the Eating Well website for additional recipes, they have many.

Hearty Chicken and Spinach Stew

Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Salad

Skillet lemon chicken and potatoes with kale

Mediterranean Tuna Antipasto Salad

Sweet Potato Black bean Burgers

Red Lentil and Cauliflower Curry

Slow Cooker Braised Beef with Carrots and Turnips

Garlic Roasted Salmon and Brussel Sprouts

Apple Bacon and Sweet Potato Mini Casserole

Since I read that you have a sweet tooth here is the link for several diabetes friendly desserts

Flourless Banana Chocolate Mini Muffins

Wow, thanks for that Sassy, much appreciated. X

Nice, I hope it comes out well.

How come you are flying back to the UK? Are you having to go to the doctor?
I’ve got an mri scan on Monday and an ultrasound on Tuesday … active surveillance means they take positive measures of my tumours and make sure none are kicking off … at the moment I have several small but high grade tumours … hence the constant checking

I’ve got an mri scan on Monday and an ultrasound on Tuesday … active surveillance means they take positive measures of my tumours and make sure none are kicking off … at the moment I have several small but high grade tumours … hence the constant checking
Okay but it is just checking. At this moment they haven’t found anything we should be concerned about, right?

Okay but it is just checking. At this moment they haven’t found anything we should be concerned about, right?
It’s cancer I try not to think about it too much and right now nothing to be concerned about other than to take my treatment and appointments seriously … I am lucky to be on the system with good support … especially since daughter who must be obeyed reminded the local urology department that her dad deserves better than he got for a few months last year !!!!

It’s cancer I try not to think about it too much and right now nothing to be concerned about other than to take my treatment and appointments seriously … I am lucky to be on the system with good support … especially since daughter who must be obeyed reminded the local urology department that her dad deserves better than he got for a few months last year !!!!
I remembered reading about it on the good thread that you posted encouraging lads to get their prostate checked. Hopefully it doesn't create too many issues for you and your treatment continues keeping you healthy ?? Thankfully you have a daughter that really cares about your health and will straighten anyone who doesn't take care of her dad right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back