Referees v Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spurs v Burnley

Penalty to Spurs and VAR missed the obvious foul on Barnes that lead to him half falling over and leaving his arm dangling. And, had it been a Spurs or Man City player well.. it was a good halfway up his arm so the ref could have rejected the penalty.

Got to keep the whole show going - still 8 teams with something to play for..

1652687261360.png

So my boss can see when I’ve taken a 2L tub of beef dripping and a box of Kleenex to the gents but VAR can’t see Richarlison’s shirt pull, nah I’m not having that

I'm not sure if I don't fully understand what you are saying, but in the first paragraph you say you don't believe in the conspiracy that the refs are having the top clubs and it boils down to incompetence. The second paragraph you start off by saying they give the top teams things they don't give others, not because of conspiracy but that it is easier for them to act that way.
I am saying it is not a conspiracy, they haven't met as a group or indeed with other interested parties and formulated a plan to cheat on behalf of the six top teams. I do not believe there is a cabal in operation.
However I do believe the current group of referees are not good enough to enact the rules of the game as they are currently being interpreted. I would love for them to be allowed to use their discretion, I would like to see them stamping out diving, I am a firm believer in a player being made to stand up, the rules of the game don't say it is a penalty if you are touched.
I would like to see all the holding that goes on from corners or free kicks into the box stamped out but it would appear the referees have been told to allow minor shirt pulling to go on in the interests of keeping the game flowing. If they gave a few penalties or free kicks when it happens players would quickly catch on. When referees are told that minor holding can go on we get the situation with Richy yesterday, the referee not only has to see the holding he then has to make up his mind is to whether it is significant or minor, today's referees aren't good enough to get those decisions right. Time for the authorities to cut their cloth etc. we don't have the calibre of people refereeing games to allow them the level of discretion they are currently being asked to do, time to go back to the simple rule when a foul is a foul. It is the same for VAR, they say they need it to be a clear and obvious mistake by the referee before they can intervene, again they are asking for discretion from people who do not have the ability or the fortitude to make those decisions.
As for top teams, they are going to get fewer decisions awarded against them as they have better players and better systems so they don't get caught out so often and have to foul. But more meaningfully they get the most coverage, have the most clout, and have more of their ex players acting as pundits. It is more difficult for referees to give things against them. Referees will be vilified in the media, the bigger clubs will use their influence against a referee who goes against them. It takes a braver man to give a penalty against Liverpool than it does against Everton. Unfortunately we don't have those brave men refereeing, they are cowards.
No conspiracy just inability and cowardice.

Status
Not open for further replies.