Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Villa, I was looking with some predictions for the *brilliant* target of 42 points...

Villa (H) - 3 pts / RESULT 0 POINTS
Arsenal (A) - 0 / RESULT 0 POINTS
Forest (A) - 3 / RESULT 1 POINT
Brentford (H) - 1 / RESULT 3 POINTS
Chelsea (A) - 0 / RESULT 1 POINT
Spurs (H) - 1 / RESULT 1 POINT
Man U (A) - 0 / RESULT 0
Fulham (H) - 1 / RESULT 0
Palace (A) - 3 / revised to a more hopeful realistic 1 point / RESULT 1
Newcastle (H) - 1 / revised 0 / RESULT 0

UPDATE: 7 points out of my target of 13 points by this point. Now it looks like even 35 points might save us, so if we need 7 points from the next 5 games, we need 2 away wins in 5, and we have only had 1 win in the last 10. (I'm trying not to 'depend' on a final day win.

Leicester (A) - 3 / RESULT 1
Brighton (A) - 1 / 3
Man City (H) - 0 / 0
Wolves (A) - 3 / 1
Bournemouth (H) - ????

Our final total is only likely to be 36 maximum and if we get away with it on that it is amazingly lucky
Has anyone got this weird, irrational feeling : if we survive relegation, it will be seen as good news by the board, and so they will just keep the status quo in the boardroom, Liver building, and Finch Farm, but relegation might be what they 'need'. I'm very positive, i want only to survive, i want us to be in the top 4 and win stuff, but i can't help veering between hope and despair every few hours. It's horrible.
Luckily this site is working like therapy for me.

My team for Sunday

Pickford
Godfrey (if fit), Mina, Tark, Mykolenko
Garner, Gueye
Doucoure
Iwobi, McNeil
Simms

My prediction is Leicester will go 1-0 up within five minutes. Everybody will **** the proverbial bed.

We will huff and puff to get a goal and fail. West Ham will do us a massive favour and get an equaliser and we will stay up almost by 'default'. A truly pathetic end to a truly pathetic season that will be heralded a 'success' before the pattern repeats itself yet again in 23/24.

I also agree that this is true. We are so lucky to have had that one game with DCL fit and everything clicking at Brighton, and the earlier win at Brentford. 2 wins in 14 games is good? That;s our standard now?? :(

After this u will get points deduction…

If we do, at 3 points or similar, I'd take it.
A. They cant apply it this season, as if noting else we will simply appeal until next season starts.
B, it would stop people going on a bout it and,
C, they would have to treat City the same at 3 points per charge, rolling over through seasons..

Best case scenario.
We score early. This will affect the mood at Leicester and Leeds

Worst Case
Leeds or Leicester score early. Goodison will go flat.

Heart attack scenario:
Stop Oil guy stops the game for 15 minutes in the second half. Everton goes into 18 minutes of extra time tied 1-1. 8 minutes into extra time, Leeds wraps up a 3-0 win over Tottenham, and Leicester comfortably wins, putting Everton in a 3-way tie for 17th, but in 19th place because of tiebreakers. Everton has 10 minutes to find a goal, win the game, and lift themselves to 17th place.

Good post in general but there is some straw clutching here?

"Won a few cups. Great, but so what" Isn't that the precise point of football? He's also a legend at the club and it's paved the way for the man's managerial career. Rooney went on to win everything and become the top scorer at one of the biggest clubs in the world, and his national team too. He didn't hit the heights of EURO 2004 because he went into most tournaments carrying at injury.

Lukaku has also been far better off leaving us regardless of whether it's been what he hoped for or not.

Like it or not, we are mediocrity personified and even Richarlison, as awful as his season has been, HAD to take the gamble because we are going nowhere fast.
I'm not saying those players shouldn't have moved. They were absolutely right to - in all cases.

But let's not pretend they all went on to scale heights far in excess of how they played with us - proving that it was only us holding them back. Winning FA Cups at Arsenal was a poor substitute for not winning the leagues they used to win under Wenger. Arteta might have won the Cup with us first in 2009 had he not missed the final through injury. My point? His playing career didn't exactly take off like a rocket post-Goodison. He traded respectable Everton for declining Wenger-era Arsenal. A step up? Yup. But he wasn't joining the elite.

Rooney most certainly was. He made a huge success of his career. But he was the best teenager in the world. It was no surprise he became the player he did (though plenty would argue he was never quite as thrilling at United as he was when he broke through for us).

Richarlison is, whisper it, not really top level. Some of us said it when he was here, and this season has proven the point neatly. He's far better than what we currently have - but you could say that about almost every other club's strikeforce right now.

Barkley? He crashed and burned post-Goodison.

Were they right to move? Undoubtedly. Bill Kenwight was never building a platform here for the truly ambitious. Thing is, in football, ambition usually exceeds talent. In the cases of Everton players, that is almost always the case. Why? Because, in most cases, we buy or develop players who are not too good for us. That's actually a huge failure in our recruitment and youth development processes.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back