Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weve got a decent team but not a decent squad.

Pickford
Patterson
Mina
Godfrey
Branthwaite
Mykolenko
Van De Beek
Allan
Doucoure
Gordon
Richarlison
Dele
Gray
DCL

14 players that we really need to get fit and stay fit.

The issue is that almost all of the others are so cowardly and pathetic that they drag the team down to their level.
Love that you include Patterson in that even though he’s yet to get a look ahead of Coleman and Kenny…

Weve got a decent team but not a decent squad.

Pickford
Patterson
Mina
Godfrey
Branthwaite
Mykolenko
Van De Beek
Allan
Doucoure
Gordon
Richarlison
Dele
Gray
DCL

14 players that we really need to get fit and stay fit.

The issue is that almost all of the others are so cowardly and pathetic that they drag the team down to their level.
I dont even think a decent team anymore, honestly these frauds this season have just taken everything we give them and just throw it back at us with performances like that. I just want this season over and us to be safe and the back of alot of this squad

I dont even think a decent team anymore, honestly these frauds this season have just taken everything we give them and just throw it back at us with performances like that. I just want this season over and us to be safe and the back of alot of this squad
I feel like we've been saying this since Martinez left.

Do we employ a sports psychologist? If not, why? If so, time to look elsewhere; these guys are a wreck and I can't see it being related to anything other than their mentals. Consistency is off the charts bad; there seems to be no middle ground which, IMHO, points to upstairs...not their feet. Mosh needs to have a session or two himself...his general volitivity isn't helping much either and it's just a cycle that appears to be feeding itself.

I can’t get to sleep. I absolutely hate that I allow this football club to worry me sick.

Liam, I don’t know what age you are but if you are under about 25 I have bad news for you.

If we continue to sink then a day will come when when we play the fixture which makes or breaks us.

And if it comes to that then you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

The build up to Wimbledon Day was the worst week of my life.

Couldn’t sleep, couldn’t eat (much), was a total grouch to everyone including my sainted mother and my not so sainted wife and I could not face going into work by the time Friday came.

The only thing I could do was….. :pint2:

Then I sat in the Bullens in floods of tears when they went two goals up :(

To all you young Blues out there…..I hope to God you don’t have to experience a week like that.

The odd thing is we had another last day escape versus Cov a few years later but it never affected me in the same way.

What sucks about relegation, if it happens, is all the [Poor language removed] that will pile on. So many gleeful haters, who just want a dig in and see you suffer. Poor [Poor language removed] bastards and their hateful little lives. So don't respond.
Whatever happens bring it on i say.

Every spiteful and hurtful comment by a sad bitter and twisted rs, just makes me love this club even more.

As the old saying goes the stones that they have thrown have been collected. I hope to live long enough to see the day, when i get to throw them back with vengeance.

Just need to stop losing games first. Getting desperate for 0.0s
BFS doesn't seem such a bad choice now, eh?

Ok he bought Tosun, and Walcott was a bit patchy, but... 8th.

I think relegation is 60/40 likely now, for simple reasons.

Teams around us have managers who've survived in this league ( Norwich, Newcastle, Leeds, Watford ). But also like us that haven't, too, e.g. Brentford and possibly palace.

Successful survivors like Brighton, Burnley, Leicester, seemingly Villa and going back a bit west ham have built the classic tight squads, difficult to beat, tough mentality. They're now where we were.

I don't see that in us. The manager merry go round always emphasizing Europe has swayed us into a squad with ' ability ', but not the grit this time around. I think it's unfortunate that lampard has gone for midfielders who are not dominant ball winners, and perhaps over estimated our defense.

Ultimately, we have 17 games, and the others need wins, too.

COYB.

Until there's more than 1-2 windows of buying players for a manager before firing them, nothing will change. This club needs 3-4 years of one manager and to clear out past mistakes. This is patchwork of Allardyce, Rafael, Koeman, Silva, Ancelotti (best players obviously) and there is no consistency in what system they were built for/recruited for.

Those Conte comments also more than apply to Everton's haphazard crap in the transfer market.

this is the first time the possibility has really hit me. all the other teams in the zone, have a bit of fight in them. i hope i'm wrong, but our players just don't look equipped to handle a relegation battle. the new manager bounce has already dissipated. anything other than a win against leeds will mean we're well and truly up slack alley.

Liam, I don’t know what age you are but if you are under about 25 I have bad news for you.

If we continue to sink then a day will come when when we play the fixture which makes or breaks us.

And if it comes to that then you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

The build up to Wimbledon Day was the worst week of my life.

Couldn’t sleep, couldn’t eat (much), was a total grouch to everyone including my sainted mother and my not so sainted wife and I could not face going into work by the time Friday came.

The only thing I could do was….. :pint2:

Then I sat in the Bullens in floods of tears when they went two goals up :(

To all you young Blues out there…..I hope to God you don’t have to experience a week like that.

The odd thing is we had another last day escape versus Cov a few years later but it never affected me in the same way.
beauty

When people were saying this squad was too good to go down in November I questioned that. And I remember someone saying that this squad was too good to get beaten by Norwich. Then Benitez sold our only good player to Villa.

It was always going to be an almost impossible job to keep this squad in the Premier League. Lampard deserves huge credit for taking this job on.

I’ve accepted our fate now.
Sadly I’m beginning to agree. It breaks my heart to say it but I can’t see how we stay up at this point. I know we did the impossible 28 years ago at Goodison against Wimbledon, but those were different times with different fans.

Our squad was a desperately poor one before Benitez came in, but the sales of James Rodriguez and Lucas Digne have left us with literally no quality players.

And the mad thing is it’s not the players’ fault. I actually see a lot of effort from then right now. We’re the 8th best in the league in terms of the number of miles run. The quality simply isn’t there - that’s the bottom line.

Well it could be worse, were it not for covid postponements Benitez would have managed a few more games.

Last night was a cup final that Newcastle took weeks to prepare for. They came flying out the traps but we were still in it until the injuries. Can see what Frank is trying to do with them, it's a massive change in philosophy to the prehistoric approach that Benitez deployed, he probably had his tactics chiseled into stone. They've only had a week to coach the team. No doubt they realise the extent of the task ahead.

Surely we need to get another body into midfield, maybe time to start picking the players to suit the system rather than the system to accommodate the players they want to play.

Once we had our wind knocked out by the injuries the game plan went out the window and the team reverted to their instincts / prior coaching. The more we sat back and let them impose themselves on the game the more we started to look like the shower that got to such a lowly league position, hiding from the ball, getting rid of the ball like it was a bomb, zero composure, no leadership etc. Lots of shouts for DCL, aside from the two injuries using subs the guy has been injured pretty much the whole season. The way Newcastle were playing (dirty) he would have been at risk on that pitch. Lots of people also saying having digne wouldn't have made a difference last night. He might not have but Newcastle showed the merit of having two competent full backs in the those positions last night.

Let's hope we can beat the drop and then get a long overdue cull to clear out some of the detritus in our squad. Going to be tough to replace the whole defence in one window but looks like it needs doing.

COYB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back