Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only tiny bits of reasons to be at all optimistic are…
-VDB looked composed on the ball and means we should be able to set up 433 from Saturday onwards, him with Alan and Delle until Doucoure returns. This will hopefully give us more grip on games and cover for the inadequate back 4.
-DCL and Richarlison will hopefully to finally be able to start a game together on Saturday, with Gordon likely to be the other starter. Leeds work hard but they are vulnerable defensively (like us!)
-yesterday was spineless but I have more confidence that Lampard is trying to impart some sort of cohesive plan and system compared to Benitez who seemed to be training them to kick the ball as far as they could.

So for those who aren’t burying their heads in the sand and shave accepted relegation, who out of the current squad do you think will stay once relegated?

Unfortunately we still wouldn’t be able to shift a lot of them. We’d carry players like Keane and Gomes with us into the Championship on £80k+ a week. If we didn’t immediately come back up at the first time of asking we would become Derby County.

I thought we were in trouble before the start of the season, given the squad and lack of money spent. I said to my lad, if we're not top 6 after the first 6 or 8 games we could go down, due to the ridiculously easy start to the season we had. I'm hopeful that if we stay up we can push on, but I do think it's a bit of a coin toss. Theoretically we have a decent squad in terms of ability. However, injury and mentality mean we are by no means guaranteed to stay up. It will be frustrating if we get relegated as I can see a brighter future with Lampard. With Pereira in charge I'm not sure it would have mattered.

Newcastle have spent £100million in this transfer window and they’ve spent it wisely, but they are still poor. Desperate times.
They didn't play their main signing and Trippier was the best player on the pitch.
They were always likely to buy themselves out of the relegation zone.
I'm a bit more worried about Weghorst at Burnley. He was brilliant last night. I wouldn't be surprised to see them picking up points.

I can’t stand some of these absolute cowards. The mentality on display last night was nothing short of pathetic. Second to everything, lost every header. If we go down it’s because we deserve to. Keane, Holgate and Gomes would never play for us again in an ideal world. Coleman is washed up. The list could easily go on. The terrifying thing is we’ve got nobody to replace our centre backs with Godfrey and now likely Mina out for weeks.

Leeds is the biggest game for this club in recent years. 3 points is a must. I just hope goodison is up for it. If not we are as much to blame. The club needs to fight now from all angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back