Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks we are no longer in danger is deluding themselves.
However a few more performances like that and we'll be fine and able to look positively towards next season.

Norwich have 14 games to overturn effectively a six point deficit over us with goal difference taken into account. They’ve won 4 in 24 games and were absolutely gash in the last two games.

I think there’s only been one or two occasions in the past decade where a side 16th or higher at this stage of the season have been relegated. That was Middlesbrough and Norwich.

We’ll be fine and it’s not ‘deluded’ to think so. It’s evidence based.

I think watford have gone. They needed to come out blazing and hope for the best with a brave manager. Hodgson will be the complete opposite and try and win every game 1-0.
If we hadnt rolled over at norwich under b*****z then it may have been done and dusted. Them having city and liverpool has done us a favour. Had to win yest to get that gap. Huge huge win yest.

Norwich have 14 games to overturn effectively a six point deficit over us with goal difference taken into account. They’ve won 4 in 24 games and were absolutely gash in the last two games.

I think there’s only been one or two occasions in the past decade where a side 16th or higher at this stage of the season have been relegated. That was Middlesbrough and Norwich.

We’ll be fine and it’s not ‘deluded’ to think so. It’s evidence based.

But there are other teams in the battle and not just Norwich, and there are 3 relegations spots not just 1. It definitely is deluded and complacent to think we’re safe with 22 points and over a third of the season still to play. I think we’re looking at a point at best from our next 3 games before Wolves at home. Our season will be defined by 3 fixtures, Burnley, Newcastle and Watford. I am remaining cautious and still fully awake to the situation we’re in.

But there are other teams in the battle and not just Norwich, and there are 3 relegations spots not just 1. It definitely is deluded and complacent to think we’re safe with 22 points and over a third of the season still to play. I think we’re looking at a point at best from our next 3 games before Wolves at home. Our season will be defined by 3 fixtures, Burnley, Newcastle and Watford. I am remaining cautious and still fully awake to the situation we’re in.

The other teams are doing even worse than Norwich in the case of Watford, and even further away in terms of points in Burnley.

It’s not deluded to think we’re safe from relegation when all of the long term trends suggest we are.

Saying for an absolute fact we are safe is a different thing, nobody is saying that from what I can see. Nobody is putting their life savings on it.

The other teams are doing even worse than Norwich in the case of Watford, and even further away in terms of points in Burnley.

It’s not deluded to think we’re safe from relegation when all of the long term trends suggest we are.

Saying for an absolute fact we are safe is a different thing, nobody is saying that from what I can see. Nobody is putting their life savings on it.

Long term trends? We’ve just ended a run of 1 win in 16 games. That’s worse form than any of the other teams.

Long trends trends? We’ve just ended a run of 1 win in 16 games. That’s worse form than any of the other teams.

Long term league trends around which teams get relegated.

It’s the same reason people always go on about 40 points equalling safety, even though technically it’s not the case.

16 games is not a long term trend, regardless we’ve just won two of three against PL opposition and scored in all three.

‘Long term trends’ would still have us bottom of the table since the start of October.
I hope our players aren’t as complacent as this.

The trouble for me has been the fact we went 15 (not exactly sure what it was 1 win in 15?) or so game losing streak. It shows we are capable of disastrous form over a long period. If we did that again we would go down. Definitely good signs the last two home games though.

Let's, also not forget our injury list could lengthen (but so could our rivals) and if we hit a bad run of form suspensions could also come into play. All ifs and buts though.

It's just a shame we didn't bin off FSW earlier than we did. Or best of all, not had employed him.

No team will play so open against us as leeds did today, or maybe Citeh in 2 weeks but I always said we need at least 3 wins to stay up and today was number one. Lets see what we can do next week. On todays display, we look to be ready for anyone. Well done Frank Lampard, well done lads!

3 wins? Do you really think 28 points would be enough to stay up? I think 38 would be the minimum and even then we would be in the bottom 6. There are always a couple of teams that dragged into the relegation fight and 1 or 2 that go on a run of good results. I think we would be down with 28 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back