Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brentford can have as much momentum as they wish, they are not in the bottom 3, they are irrelevant.
As for your point, its because we are horrendously bad that I don't want 3rd bottom side picking any point up

Youre throwing all your eggs in the fact Burnley won’t pick up any more points.

The reality is, our job becomes a lot easier if there are more teams we have a chance of overtaking in case Burnley overtake us.

The way I see it is the last spot is down to us, Brentford, Leeds and Burnley, and wishing one of those rivals to get 3 points, in case we end up in the relegation zone for 23 hours isn’t something I’m happy with.

If we do our bit, it’s all irrelevant, but if we rely on others, then You don’t any rivals to get 3 points.

You can’t expect Burnley, regular relegation fodder to lie down, don’t forget they too have 2 games in hand on Brentford.

We need the relegation teams to draw against each other and lose against the rest.

We need

Brentford vs Burnley DRAW
Leeds vs Norwich DRAW
Southampton vs Watford HOME WIN

Then if we win, were 1pt above leeds and 3 off brentford but have 3 games in hand on them both.

Youre throwing all your eggs in the fact Burnley won’t pick up any more points.

The reality is, our job becomes a lot easier if there are more teams we have a chance of overtaking in case Burnley overtake us.

The way I see it is the last spot is down to us, Brentford, Leeds and Burnley, and wishing one of those rivals to get 3 points, in case we end up in the relegation zone for 23 hours isn’t something I’m happy with.

If we do our bit, it’s all irrelevant, but if we rely on others, then You don’t any rivals to get 3 points.

You can’t expect Burnley, regular relegation fodder to lie down, don’t forget they too have 2 games in hand on Brentford.

Get beat at Brentford they have city, west ham and Norwich. That's at least 4 may be 5 games we have to put distance between us and the current 3rd bottom side. It honestly doesn't matter as long as we do better than Burnley

It’s mid March and we still have 3 unscheduled fixtures. We still haven’t played Leicester once yet.
Its 4, and we will play 11 games in the last 7 weeks, with the 1st of those 11 to be played April 3rd at West Ham at the earliest - with the season ending may 22nd - The prem league could easily have sorted all this out, the Burnley game for one was 10 weeks ago and no doubt the prem league will squeeze them in - in late April for us instead of spreading them out

Get beat at Brentford they have city, west ham and Norwich. That's at least 4 may be 5 games we have to put distance between us and the current 3rd bottom side. It honestly doesn't matter as long as we do better than Burnley

All that matters is we finish about 3 teams.
But you don’t want to isolate one team to focus on in case it goes wrong.

Let’s say Brentford win on Saturday, and then Burnley win both their games in hand (including against us), you’d find us 8 behind Brentford and 5 behind Burnley.

You look at Brentford as a big target due to the fact they’ve played significantly more games than us.

If hypothetically Everton and Burnley won all their games in hand (it can’t happen cause one is against each other) we’d both be above Brentford as it stands.

Just don’t understand anyone wanting a rival to win at this end of the table so close to the end of the season.

This. Sight of the big picture is needed.
whether burnley draws or loses to brentford, or worse beats brentford - it should be all in our hands if our players do their job. which they haven't since October.

I watched the games tonight of the other relegation battlers with great interest and engagement - strange feelings. it was like a perverse reverse-champions league fever dream. not what us fans have been wishing for, but nail biting and exciting too.

I can't sleep. Relegation is painfully real and close now. and whatever happens, I console myself with the thought that cheering the team in the championship as it battles for the playoff places or maybe the auto promotion spots will be just as exciting as champions league...

We need the relegation teams to draw against each other and lose against the rest.

We need

Brentford vs Burnley DRAW
Leeds vs Norwich DRAW
Southampton vs Watford HOME WIN

Then if we win, were 1pt above leeds and 3 off brentford but have 3 games in hand on them both.
I would rather Norwich win, it's not going to help them in the long term stay up and it can help take Leeds down.

Aside from that I've been away today and just come home and seen last nights scores, and it made me feel much better about the situation seeing Watford, Leeds and Norwich getting futher into trouble

I

I agree. Being 7th regularly was really not that bad, because the top 6 were hard to reach, and to play for them either volatile at times or hard to nail down a place in their team. We were at least on the up, a little innovative, good character team with the potential to break into the top 6 with some investment and luck. Outside the top 6, or even in spite of the top 6, we were definitely an attractive team to come and play for. Now, after this, i'm concerned that if it doesnt work now, managers and good players might swerve the opportunity to come and play for us because of the apparent mismanagement and instability behind the scenes as well. Outside the top 6, if up and coming players want to play in the premier league, they're probably thinking Villa, Leicester or West Ham now...its a shame, and we need to turn it around somehow!
I'm sure to be corrected if I'm wrong but that season we were 13 points ahead of Stoke who finished eighth. We were definitely the best of the rest that year. All downhill since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back