Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time to stop worrying about the negatives and start embracing the positives, because it's coming regardless.

For sure, dropping out of the top flight for first time in most of our lifetimes is embarrassing and disturbing, but we are Evertonians aren't we? Aren't we used to our club embarrassing us by now? If we are still here after the last 30 years then there must me something else keeping us here other than some long lost notion of greatness and that will still be there after relegation.

The club will be in real dire financial straights and it could seriously be threatened with administration, but wouldn't that also mean the end of Moshiri and his dirty money too? And of course finally seeing the back of Blue Bill.

We most probably won't be coming straight back up, and might even drop further down the league's, but who isn't fed up with the bullshit that is Premier League football anyway? No more VAR, no more being last on MOTD, no more Saturday 1230 and 5.30 kick offs, Sunday and Monday night football, no more so called experts talking incessantly about our opponents when we are playing one of the Sky Six.

Getting rid of a whole host of losers and wasters from the squad who are taking huge wages whilst offering nothing. Replacing them with honest professionals who are looking for the chance to shine at this level. No more players out on international duty only to have their heads turned by agents from other clubs or have them slag us off to the national press of their home nation.

No more circling 12 games a season as ones we will be happy to take a point from, going into every match as one we can try and win and most of all no more Merseyside derby, having to spend 90 minutes sharing a platform with those cretins, knowing that no matter how well we play, they will always get away with something that sends us home fuming.

Above all else, just a chance to re-engage with football again as a hobby to be enjoyed rather than a chore to be endured. I am convinced a good proportion of the stuff we all hate about going the match these days is down to the Premier League and all the crap that goes with it. I, like many follow a second team at a much lower level and I still really look forward to their games far more than I do Everton's.

No one is saying it's going to be easy street and not hard to take, but it isn't all doom and gloom either, it's a chance to reset our relationship with Everton and start enjoying them again.

there ain’t ONE positive thin
when they sack Lampard on Saturday night, who would you bring in?

they won’t

I don't know really know what to say. There's so much I want to rant against, Moshiri's ineptitude and disgraceful non-compliance of rules, Kenwright's pathetic luvy-duvy attitude that has infested every single level of our structure, the most pitiful level of player I've ever seen at Everton despite being the mostly highly paid we've ever had. I just can't really find the right words.

All I can is that nearly everyone at the club deserve this. Moshiri's name must forever be in the same sentence as the Venky's, Peter Risdale, Vincent Tan and whoever else are considered the worst of the worst in football ownership. Kenwright needs to feel the fury of the fanbase, who for years and with so much goodwill, told him to let go of his trainset for the good of the club. But no, he just couldn't bring himself to do it. The players deserve this, and if life is fair they will all receive 30% of pay for the rest of their careers and none of them will ever be able to shake the shame of being the first players in nearly 70 years to take Everton down.

The fans don't deserve this though. How the match goers, particularly the away crowd, do it week after week I'll never know. So much respect to you all, the absolute rats who I've listed above don't deserve you at all.

Maybe relegation is a blessing in disguise! Time to start over, to completely realign. Building a new team, regaining the lost identity.

Very hard to think about it. Sitting here in germany at work and can´t get my head right. Very very disturbing situation.

I think it's time to stop worrying about the negatives and start embracing the positives, because it's coming regardless.

For sure, dropping out of the top flight for first time in most of our lifetimes is embarrassing and disturbing, but we are Evertonians aren't we? Aren't we used to our club embarrassing us by now? If we are still here after the last 30 years then there must me something else keeping us here other than some long lost notion of greatness and that will still be there after relegation.

The club will be in real dire financial straights and it could seriously be threatened with administration, but wouldn't that also mean the end of Moshiri and his dirty money too? And of course finally seeing the back of Blue Bill.

We most probably won't be coming straight back up, and might even drop further down the league's, but who isn't fed up with the bullshit that is Premier League football anyway? No more VAR, no more being last on MOTD, no more Saturday 1230 and 5.30 kick offs, Sunday and Monday night football, no more so called experts talking incessantly about our opponents when we are playing one of the Sky Six.

Getting rid of a whole host of losers and wasters from the squad who are taking huge wages whilst offering nothing. Replacing them with honest professionals who are looking for the chance to shine at this level. No more players out on international duty only to have their heads turned by agents from other clubs or have them slag us off to the national press of their home nation.

No more circling 12 games a season as ones we will be happy to take a point from, going into every match as one we can try and win and most of all no more Merseyside derby, having to spend 90 minutes sharing a platform with those cretins, knowing that no matter how well we play, they will always get away with something that sends us home fuming.

Above all else, just a chance to re-engage with football again as a hobby to be enjoyed rather than a chore to be endured. I am convinced a good proportion of the stuff we all hate about going the match these days is down to the Premier League and all the crap that goes with it. I, like many follow a second team at a much lower level and I still really look forward to their games far more than I do Everton's.

No one is saying it's going to be easy street and not hard to take, but it isn't all doom and gloom either, it's a chance to reset our relationship with Everton and start enjoying them again.
There aren't any positives to take really. I understand trying to make sense of it though and preparing psychologically.

In one sense, we were relegated years ago. We exist to make up the numbers.

We tried desperately to cling to the coat-tails of the Big Four / Big Six and have been left in their wake, eating the dust around us.

I'd have gladly accepted where Spurs and Arsenal are in the grand scheme of things - they are not elite and no chance of winning Titles / Champions League but have European football regularly and a realistic shot at a domestic cup / Europa league once in a while. They are "thereabouts" enough to make it interesting, and big enough to have been considered eligible for the Super League.

We had a bit of that, but under Moyes we always knew we would choke whenever the pressure was ramped up even a little. Thus, to compensate 5th place finishes became laudable and had the reverse effect of reducing our ambition and expectations even more. Our "best" manager in a generation given a raucous send-off at Goodison, to take over at a club we once considered as our peer. Moyes was mockingly referred to as "Everton" at Man United, to signify his backwardness and conservatism.

We have been reactive for 30 years, and never kept pace. I'm truly shocked to think that things have come to this pass, but we can't say it has not been coming. It absolutely has.

The worst thing is we have no guarantee of improvement and recovery. The next few seasons may be an absolute nightmare. I'd accept relegation if it meant we could be assured that we would reset and get our house in order. But that may not be the case at all, and certainly won't be unless we really actually do start from scratch.

There aren't any positives to take really. I understand trying to make sense of it though and preparing psychologically.

In one sense, we were relegated years ago. We exist to make up the numbers.

We tried desperately to cling to the coat-tails of the Big Four / Big Six and have been left in their wake, eating the dust around us.

I'd have gladly accepted where Spurs and Arsenal are in the grand scheme of things - they are not elite and no chance of winning Titles / Champions League but have European football regularly and a realistic shot at a domestic cup / Europa league once in a while. They are "thereabouts" enough to make it interesting, and big enough to have been considered eligible for the Super League.

We had a bit of that, but under Moyes we always knew we would choke whenever the pressure was ramped up even a little. Thus, to compensate 5th place finishes became laudable and had the reverse effect of reducing our ambition and expectations even more. Our "best" manager in a generation given a raucous send-off at Goodison, to take over at a club we once considered as our peer. Moyes was mockingly referred to as "Everton" at Man United, to signify his backwardness and conservatism.

We have been reactive for 30 years, and never kept pace. I'm truly shocked to think that things have come to this pass, but we can't say it has not been coming. It absolutely has.

The worst thing is we have no guarantee of improvement and recovery. The next few seasons may be an absolute nightmare. I'd accept relegation if it meant we could be assured that we would reset and get our house in order. But that may not be the case at all, and certainly won't be unless we really actually do start from scratch.
I think there will be a reset, but we all probably have to let go of this notion of reset being one that eventually re-establishes us as a big club. You hinted that those those days have definitely gone for good early in your post and you were spot on.

A reset for us is one where the club can rebuild itself in an image of something the fans can all be comfortable with, so that the club can at least give us the hope of occasionally achieving those ambitions and keeping us happy as a result.

It's the only way forward now, let go of 'nil satis' for good, find something else we are proud to measure ourselves by and enjoy being it.

For years we've battered them lot with the notion of glory hunters, of only being in it for the trophies and the glory of being at the top table, yet we only measure ourselves by the same yardstick even though we've been rubbish at achieving it for decades. It's time to embrace what makes us good, rather than be embarrassed at what makes us crap.

Maybe relegation is a blessing in disguise! Time to start over, to completely realign. Building a new team, regaining the lost identity.

Very hard to think about it. Sitting here in germany at work and can´t get my head right. Very very disturbing situation.

I’m sick of people saying things like this. Relegation would not be any sort of positive whatsoever. The very close call (if we do survive, which I doubt) should be enough to shake things up from top to bottom.

Honestly mate, it won't be a blessing.

We are not shedding the majority of players when we get relegated, why? because they have juicy contracts no-one else will offer them... but why would we continue to pay them that when we get relegated, because as a club we chose not to put relegation clauses in the contracts of 95% of our players.

Its not like we haven't been trying to get rid of a lot of these players, they don't wanna go and clubs aren't interested because they can't afford their contract. So we will be in the situation for most of the players (some will admittedly leave), that they are still playing for the club until their contracts expire, on nice juicy wages.

This has been our problem with finances, offering out stupid contracts for players and not being able to shift them for money, hence it looking like we just continually make losses.

My main concern for relegation is the finances if you want me to be honest - we look to have scrimped through by the hair on our backside with the PL in regards to money, the Championship will eat us alive for our losses and wage bill.

Wonder if Marco Silva has a wry smile right now.
Wonder what Marcel Brands is thinking.
Benitez.
Koeman.
Big Sam.
Martinez.

Last night was a blow in the hope of survival. It's not a killer blow.

As I've said on here previously home form in the remaining games will be key. Just need to find 6 or 7 points from the remaining home games. Add in a draw or 2, or even a win, away and safety will be guaranteed. 34 points will almost certainly be enough to stay up. 32 points may even be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.