Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one better than the trash we have upfront.

Ha Ha Ha.

...in the whole of world football.

Ha Ha ha.

So we should go out and buy someone slightly better than what we have? Who , in your own words are “trash” so we should have bought an ok striker? Or even a bad one that’s still better than trash? R9 is an ok prem striker, he’s a very good LM tho , just as gomes is a very good , quality CM, as digne is a very good LB as Mina is a very good CB ... you see where I’m going with this? We need to attract a very good CF or striker, and they are the most sought after players on the planet, I would rather he waited and got a very good one, than signing ones that aren’t going to just get in the team because they’re better than niasse and DRKSL , I want them to be good enough to score the goals that push us into the top 4-6.

There's zero evidence he hasn't got that in his locker though?

We got £15m for Klaassen. I liked Davy, but after the disastrous season last year could we expect more? We have got loan fees for other players, one of which (Besic) would have been a permanent transfer for more than we paid for him initially if not for image rights?

We got £10m for Funes Mori.

Other than that we haven't had any players to sell/that we've needed to sell?

So you must be getting your theory from his days at PSV, well let's see. All prices are Euros.

In his first season, 2010-11 PSV sold two players who were in the last year of their contracts. That was Carlos Salcido (aged 30, a defender) for 1.6m to Fulham and Ibrahim Afellay (24) for 2m to Barcelona (Afellay had 6 months left on his deal at the time).

2011/12, they signed Strootman and Mertens for a combined fee of 13m, and Wijnaldum for 5m. Those purchases were offset by the 15m sale of Balasz Dzsudzsak and 3m sale of Francisco Rodriguez.

2012/13 a lot of free transfers both in and out.

In 2013/14, there was a big squad turnaround. A combined 11m was spent on six players, including Adam Maher (a prestigious young talent), Bruma (who has been a stalwart there IIRC), Zoet (current no.1 and Netherlands international) and Santiago Arias (now at Atletico Madrid).

They sold Mertens for 9.5m, having signed him for approx 6m in the deal with Strootman, who in turn went for 19m (6m more than the COMBINED fee paid for him and Mertens). So, 28.5m compared to 13m layout - I'd say that's good value.

They also got 4m for Erik Pieters, 3.5m for Ola Toivonen, and 10m for Jeremain Lens.

Memphis Depay was the next big sale, 30m to Manchester United in 2014. Not good value? They also sold Andreas Pereira to United, while bringing in Luuk de Jong (6m), and Andres Guardado (loan).

2015/16 - Wijnaldum sold for 17m having signed for 5m.

2016/17 - Sold Narsingh for 6m, having initially signed on a free.

2017/18 - Sold Guardado after he had helped them move back to the top in Netherlands, supposed fee of 2.5m for a 32-yr-old. Jetro Willems went for 7m. Locadia went to Brighton for 16m. Davy Propper went for 6m. Hector Moreno went for 8m.
giphy.gif

There's zero evidence he hasn't got that in his locker though?

We got £15m for Klaassen. I liked Davy, but after the disastrous season last year could we expect more? We have got loan fees for other players, one of which (Besic) would have been a permanent transfer for more than we paid for him initially if not for image rights?

We got £10m for Funes Mori.

Other than that we haven't had any players to sell/that we've needed to sell?

So you must be getting your theory from his days at PSV, well let's see. All prices are Euros.

In his first season, 2010-11 PSV sold two players who were in the last year of their contracts. That was Carlos Salcido (aged 30, a defender) for 1.6m to Fulham and Ibrahim Afellay (24) for 2m to Barcelona (Afellay had 6 months left on his deal at the time).

2011/12, they signed Strootman and Mertens for a combined fee of 13m, and Wijnaldum for 5m. Those purchases were offset by the 15m sale of Balasz Dzsudzsak and 3m sale of Francisco Rodriguez.

2012/13 a lot of free transfers both in and out.

In 2013/14, there was a big squad turnaround. A combined 11m was spent on six players, including Adam Maher (a prestigious young talent), Bruma (who has been a stalwart there IIRC), Zoet (current no.1 and Netherlands international) and Santiago Arias (now at Atletico Madrid).

They sold Mertens for 9.5m, having signed him for approx 6m in the deal with Strootman, who in turn went for 19m (6m more than the COMBINED fee paid for him and Mertens). So, 28.5m compared to 13m layout - I'd say that's good value.

They also got 4m for Erik Pieters, 3.5m for Ola Toivonen, and 10m for Jeremain Lens.

Memphis Depay was the next big sale, 30m to Manchester United in 2014. Not good value? They also sold Andreas Pereira to United, while bringing in Luuk de Jong (6m), and Andres Guardado (loan).

2015/16 - Wijnaldum sold for 17m having signed for 5m.

2016/17 - Sold Narsingh for 6m, having initially signed on a free.

2017/18 - Sold Guardado after he had helped them move back to the top in Netherlands, supposed fee of 2.5m for a 32-yr-old. Jetro Willems went for 7m. Locadia went to Brighton for 16m. Davy Propper went for 6m. Hector Moreno went for 8m.
£15M back for a £25M player of 12 months standing; £10M for an Argentinian international who;s oin his early 20s and who cost about that when we bought him?

Great value for money on those two?

Please.

The incoming fees for PSV are not the issue; incomings is not my argument.

£15M back for a £25M player of 12 months standing; £10M for an Argentinian international who;s oin his early 20s and who cost about that when we bought him?

Please.

Funes Mori is 28 in March and Klaasen was unbelievably awful. To get £25 mil for them 2 is a steal.

Failed? Is the team stronger? Massive yes! Did he get his first choice targets? Yes I reckon , did he get good value for money on his signings? Massive yes! He got rid of a lot of players , you really think he’s going to oversea about 20 transfers in a single window? Also Morgan was in the team at the start as gomes wasn’t ready, he addressed your most hated player in baines and signed a cheap , quality replacement. He managed to get bolasies wages off the books , and all the players you mentioned... how can you sell them if they won’t take a wage drop , nobody wants to pay their wages, and nobody actually bids? Literally every single incoming player has been good in terms of quality and price , he also got players that we wouldn’t have had a hope in hell of attracting normally. This tells me he is a very good negotiator and using that assumption I can conclude that if loaning bolasie , not managing to sell mirallas , Morgan etc happened... it’s because it wasn’t possible . He’s been excellent since his arrival imo and you have been having pops at him since the beggining, saying he talks to much etc our defence needed completely changing and he signed 3 players to do that, he got us balance on the wings allowing us to okay our record signing in his correct position and assessed the Cm by loaning gomes. He’s worked a minor miracle so far imo.
That's just excuses for not getting them sold.

Funes Mori is 28 in March and Klaasen was unbelievably awful. To get £25 mil for them 2 is a steal.
Ok, fair enough on Mori;s age, but it was still a terrible undervaluation for a player like him.

Once upon a time we used to drive a tough bargain on outgoings. The evidence from Brand's first summer suggests it isn't a priority with him.

Please.

I didn't say we got great value. I said what more could we expect?

Klassen was dreadful ultimately. We got £15m back to recoup some money. Funes had just come off a bad injury lay off and - guess what - is also crap. He went for £10m, so about what you'd expect.

For whatever reason, you've decided Brands is the bad guy this season. You're complaining about outgoings and getting value, but we tried to ship as many out as we could and in January we'll be doing exactly the same with the deadwood. Christ.

Ok, fair enough on Mori;s age, but it was still a terrible undervaluation for a player like him.

Once upon a time we used to drive a tough bargain on outgoings. The evidence from Brand's first summer suggests it isn't a priority with him.
I think its more of getting rid of the rubbish asap and getting wages off the books. I guarantee if Funes Mori was around he would be nowhere near starting and he wouldn't be happy about it. Which is fair enough, a professional footballer wants to be playing. I think thats the case for Klaasen too. He knows it didn't work out and he needs to leave to rebuild his career.

I didn't say we got great value. I said what more could we expect?

Klassen was dreadful ultimately. We got £15m back to recoup some money. Funes had just come off a bad injury lay off and - guess what - is also crap. He went for £10m, so about what you'd expect.

For whatever reason, you've decided Brands is the bad guy this season. You're complaining about outgoings and getting value, but we tried to ship as many out as we could and in January we'll be doing exactly the same with the deadwood. Christ.
No. What I'm doing is merely stating that there is DEBATE to be had on his performance. And the failure to get good fees, or any fees at all, for a load of players out the door permanently/on loan last summer is valid criticism.

Of course, you could continue to caricature my position and not have that debate....

I think its more of getting rid of the rubbish asap and getting wages off the books. I guarantee if Funes Mori was around he would be nowhere near starting and he wouldn't be happy about it. Which is fair enough, a professional footballer wants to be playing. I think thats the case for Klaasen too. He knows it didn't work out and he needs to leave to rebuild his career.
That's what I said. It's the far easier option and a virtual piece of piss.

Excuses? Tell me how it’s possible to sell players that other clubs won’t pay their wages and they won’t take a pay cut? Also please tell me how to accept a bid that doesn’t exist
We got rid of Anichebe and Jelavic for profits in the past. Let that sink in....

Dave, Anichebe came through the academy I think and Jelavic was bought for a low fee due to them buying Michael Ball years before and not giving us all the fee.
They were still two players who most thought we wouldn't get a good fee for but did. We need to get back to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back