Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negligible is when the strike is with the hand or arm.

That isnt the case with headbutts - they're always violent conduct no matter how soft they are.
This is off the FA website:
VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
It doesn't make any specific mention of a head butt being different so I guess it's a grey area but for me the same rules should be applied

This is off the FA website:
VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.
It doesn't make any specific mention of a head butt being different so I guess it's a grey area but for me the same rules should be applied

Yes mate.

They are given that power though. The rule actually says that striking a player is a red card unless the force is negligible. So it is open to the ref to look at it and decide.

Negligible only applies to strike or attempts to strike with the arm or hand, not head.

"

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible. "

Excessive force or brutality? What Richarlison actually did barely, if at all falls under those definitions, unless you believe that during a game of football where the aim is to kick a ball into a goal very lightly moving your head towards an opponents head classifies as excessive force, cause this is football not UFC.

And the FA appear to believe that any movement of the head towards another player counts as a headbutt, which counts as excessive force, whereas any movement of the hand or arm towards the face can be allowed if force is negligible, unlike with a headbutt.

The feller's just a 'kin divvy. I dont care how well he's played in a couple of games so far. King for a day this lad. He now has it all to prove again.

Brings back terrible memories of that big 'kin galoot ruining our chances in matches when he used to lose his head.

Negligible only applies to strike or attempts to strike with the arm or hand, not head.

"

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible. "

Excessive force or brutality? What Richarlison actually did barely, if at all falls under those definitions, unless you believe that during a game of football where the aim is to kick a ball into a goal very lightly moving your head towards an opponents head classifies as excessive force, cause this is football not UFC.

And the FA appear to believe that any movement of the head towards another player counts as a headbutt, which counts as excessive force, whereas any movement of the hand or arm towards the face can be allowed if force is negligible, unlike with a headbutt.
I am seriously curious what rules they actually apply to head butts because if that violent conduct definition isn't it nothing else on the FA website applies best I can tell

The feller's just a 'kin divvy. I dont care how well he's played in a couple of games so far. King for a day this lad. He now has it all to prove again.

Brings back terrible memories of that big 'kin galoot ruining our chances in matches when he used to lose his head.
It's been coming though, there were signs you could get to him in the game against Wolves, Silva needs to sit down and have a chat with him on Monday and make sure it never happens again.

I am seriously curious what rules they actually apply to head butts because if that violent conduct definition isn't it nothing else on the FA website applies best I can tell

You're correct, there is no specific mention of "headbutts" in the laws, but we can just go by how the laws have dealt with headbutts in the past, and that is pretty much always that any contact, or attempted contact with the head towards another players head is classed as violent conduct : it's classed as excessive force or brutality.

Doesn't count. He can play in that.

It's hard to find anything actually concrete but it appears that only accumulation of yellows results in a compeition specific ban, bans for red cards continue to apply to all first team matches.

To be fair Richarlison is still young, Ferguson didn't have that excuse.

You're correct, there is no specific mention of "headbutts" in the laws, but we can just go by how the laws have dealt with headbutts in the past, and that is pretty much always that any contact, or attempted contact with the head towards another players head is classed as violent conduct : it's classed as excessive force or brutality.

It's hard to find anything actually concrete but it appears that only accumulation of yellows results in a compeition specific ban, bans for red cards continue to apply to all first team matches.
Which is why I don't understand it. You're allowed to judge whether a slap is hard enough to warrant a red but not a headbutt? It isn't like either is part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back