Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, sorry if I upset anyone.
I stand by my original goal comparisons but genuinely apologise if I then skewed what I or others said.

Hopefully our new darling will prove me wrong against Cardiff and Murray is taken off at half time after a stinker.

Love

Bol

* guaranteed this will get sparked off again later today by some one else taking umbridge to me saying ricco is OK
The brazilian manager thinks he's ok

The thing is mate, Origi scored hadn't scored as many (league) goals in his entire first season as what Richarlinson has scored in November. In all honesty most of our fans are too cautious in what Richarlinson has achieved thus far.
Didn’t he get a hat trick in his second/third game?
Once again, the point is lost, we constantly berate them for overvrating players after a few good games yet here we are doing the same.
Totally ignoring his last 30 games btw

Didn’t he get a hat trick in his second/third game?
Once again, the point is lost, we constantly berate them for overvrating players after a few good games yet here we are doing the same.
Totally ignoring his last 30 games btw

I don't ever remember Origi scoring a domestic brace never mind a domestic hatrick.
Last seasons poor form coincides with Silva leaving and playing for a poor team. Under Silva his record is very good. That's just being honest mate.

I agree with all of that, all I would say is I would put Lukaku in the bracket too, especially as a younger player. We always struggled to put quality around Lukaku though, whereas what is exciting now is there is an infrastructure around Richarlinson. None of our players around him are over 30. You have Walcott and Sigurdsson is their late 20's, Bernard & Gomes who are just approaching their mid 20's and lads like Calvert Lewin and Lookman at a similar age. You also have Tosun who's a reliable player to partner him at different moments or take the burden off him if he needs a blow.

I can't get my head around the shouts of get another striker in though (especially a young one). The lad is arguably the brightest young striker in Europe currently, why would you jeopardise his game time? As Martinez did with Lukaku this lad has to be the first name on the team sheet, almost irrespective of form, as he will play his way out of it.

Agreed, which is why the priority by a mile for me should be to bring in one or even two wide forward/wingers.

If we go with the idea that Richarlison is now a striker first and foremost. That's pretty much a huge opening created for a wider player as basically he would have played pretty much every minute of every game in the left.

Leaves us with the front three behind the striker of Bernard left, Sigurdsson centre, Walcott right, and Lookman as backup.

Anytime Siggy is out then Bernard is the natural replacement which leaves us with nothing o the bench, assuming Lookman come in, Walcott has a bad injury record so chances are high at some point he goes down for at least a spell injurred.

It's also debateable if Lookman is ready yet, as is if Walcott us actually good enough.

Given that the competition for places is what will push this side on, I'd say we need two players coming in amongst that front four who can provide genuine competition at worst and a direct improvement ideally, forcing the likes of Walcott into a squad/impact sub role.

Lozano imo provides the latter, and Zivkovic the first. Bring both in then we'd have fantastic depth right across those forward positions and it'd be a mile better than just throwing money at a striker.

Imagine a forward lineup of the following.

Richarlison
Bernard - Sigurdsson - Lozano
With Lookman, Zivkovic, Walcott all pushing to get into the starting 11

Agreed, which is why the priority by a mile for me should be to bring in one or even two wide forward/wingers.

If we go with the idea that Richarlison is now a striker first and foremost. That's pretty much a huge opening created for a wider player as basically he would have played pretty much every minute of every game in the left.

Leaves us with the front three behind the striker of Bernard left, Sigurdsson centre, Walcott right, and Lookman as backup.

Anytime Siggy is out then Bernard is the natural replacement which leaves us with nothing o the bench, assuming Lookman come in, Walcott has a bad injury record so chances are high at some point he goes down for at least a spell injurred.

It's also debateable if Lookman is ready yet, as is if Walcott us actually good enough.

Given that the competition for places is what will push this side on, I'd say we need two players coming in amongst that front four who can provide genuine competition at worst and a direct improvement ideally, forcing the likes of Walcott into a squad/impact sub role.

Lozano imo provides the latter, and Zivkovic the first. Bring both in then we'd have fantastic depth right across those forward positions and it'd be a mile better than just throwing money at a striker.

Imagine a forward lineup of the following.

Richarlison
Bernard - Sigurdsson - Lozano
With Lookman, Zivkovic, Walcott all pushing to get into the starting 11

We are in a really good position as a squad now, that most positions are well filled and that there is good back up in terms of young players. The name of the game is now really about adding quality. We clearly have a "type" we are going for in terms of age profile and type of player. It looks like they want players who've made big moves early in their career, probably because it shows a degree of bravery that is indicative of building an ambitious side that can win. Both of the above lads fit that profile. I'd be delighted to see one or both of them come in.

The squad is close. It needs time to grow and gel together and a sensible number of signings over the next 2-3 windows. Not wholesale changes, but just adding bits of quality on bit by bit not to disrupt the squad too much. I think Silva and Brands know that too. I'd love Lozano here, he fits what Silva wants perfectly and he could have a Richarlinson level impact in my view.

Personally I think we will move for a player on the left, and I always think that was the plan. Silva likely viewed Richarlinson as a number 9, yes one who is quite raw but someone who could play down the middle. He has shown he can do it much earlier than even Silva may have hoped for. I thought it was interesting that even after a couple of quiter games he didn't pluck for Tosun back in. Also after the Fulham game, where Tosun made an impact as a sub and Richarlinson played well from the left he didn't stick with that.

To me it's clear he sees Richarlinson as the number 9, he will play there every week and will only get better. I'm not going to make big predictions about him being better than Lukaku, there's a long way before that (and Lukaku was very very good for us) but I would say there are a couple of key differences which I would suggest make Richarlinson an even brighter prospect than an equivalently aged Lukaku. Firstly he is more of a team player and adaptable. Lukaku you really had to centre a team around, whereas this lad can fulfil different roles, press from the front, contribute when he's to scoring etc. I also believe his mentality looks better in big games. His performance ever doesn't diminish as Lukaku's did and I think he will relish the big stage.

When you add in, we can now build a team behind and around him to help him it is a very exciting prospect. As I said above I like Rashford and I'd sign him all day (particularly on loan) and I even like Jesus but to me they are well behind Richarlinson. Thats the biggest compliment I can pay him.

LOL, I love him, was chuffed we signed him. I just need to see more of him to be convinced he is as good as people are saying. Like I said, the levels of hype about him on here are just weird. He has scored as many as Murray ( that is where this started) yet he is world class apparently.

I actually rate him higher than people think but I have my feet on the ground here.

How many has Glenn Murray scored for Brazil?
Thought not.
And Rivaldo...did you hear him waxing lyrical about Glenn Murray’s potential, or did you hear Neymar talking about him?
I can’t imagine anyone will be offering silly money for Glenn Murray anytime soon either...and he hasn’t got much hair.

Thought not.
And Rivaldo...did you hear him waxing lyrical about Glenn Murray’s potential, or did you hear Neymar talking about him?
I can’t imagine anyone will be offering silly money for Glenn Murray anytime soon either...and he hasn’t got much hair.
And Glenn Murray is not an exotic enough name.

I don't ever remember Origi scoring a domestic brace never mind a domestic hatrick.
Last seasons poor form coincides with Silva leaving and playing for a poor team. Under Silva his record is very good. That's just being honest mate.
Got 3 against saints
His poor form does coincide with silva leaving, he was still a footballer. Other players played on under the manager.

Thought not.
He’s English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back