Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/defiant-roberto-martinez-warns-fed-7788641

Defiant Roberto Martinez warns fed-up Evertonians he won't change his philosophy because it WILL work
"I’ve had many more signs from fans who see what we are trying to do, and can see where we are going — they know it is going to end up successfully"

Getty
Watford-v-Everton.jpg

Demolition derby: The 'Martinez Out' calls will get louder if Everton lose at Anfield on Wednesday
Roberto Martinez is adamant he will not be deflected by ferocious criticism from angry Everton fans.

And the Goodison boss claims that far from being hurt by stinging recent attacks from furious individuals – with one confronting him in the stand at an U21s gameand another running onto the pitch during the draw with Southampton at the weekend to vent his frustration – he is inspired by the support coming from the vast majority of Blues.

And he suggested that the silent majority of supporters understand that he is following the tough path of trying to introduce a footballing philosophy that will finally lift the ceiling which in the past prevented Everton from joining the Premier League elite.

Martinez is under pressure as he enters a week that will define the club’s season ... and perhaps his own future.

Watch — Roberto Martinez speaks before Wednesday's Merseyside derby:

"I’ve had many more signs from fans who see what we are trying to do, and can see where we are going — they know it is going to end up successfully"

But he was relaxed, despite having a major defensive crisis, ahead of Wednesday night’s Merseyside derby and an FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United at Wembley on Saturday.

He told his Tuesday press conference: “I am not stupid.

"I bring a different style of football. If we win the games, everything will be fine, if we lose, everything will be my fault.

“It is about the style of football, not how good you are with that style. I will always promote a style of football that will allow us to compete with any team – and not have a roof of the top seven.

In pictures — Angry fan's pitch invasion protest at Everton vs Southampton:

VIEW GALLERY
An-Everton-fan-runs-on-to-the-pitch-and-confronts-Leon-Osman.jpg

“We need to be a team that can compete with anyone and not have an excuse or a reason not to do that.”

And after yet more abuse from fans he was asked whether he was hurt by the reaction and said: “The honest answer is, from a manager’s point of view, you don’t feel hurt because you need to accept the results are not right. They are not what we expect or what we promote. You are going to get that sort of reaction.

"From a human point of view, we are all aware of what is going on and that can hurt you. But in the same way I’ve had many more signs from fans who see what we are trying to do, and can see where we are going.

"From a human point of view again, it gives you a real drive and satisfaction.

“I’ve had letters and met some fans at the ground who were very supportive. At the U21s game, people showed they care about the football club.

“They have seen flashes of what we are about. Even seeing the team losing, they say they can see a team that has showed so much bravery, and so much attacking play, and so many signs from the players and good young players that they haven’t see before.

"They know it is going to end up successfully.”

That is a bold claim with his team sitting 11th with their lowest EVER home points total four games from the end of the season, but he said: “It gives you the satisfaction that certain fans can see the results of what we are trying to achieve.

Flashback — Everton and Liverpool draw 1-1 in October's reverse fixture:

Everton star Romelu Lukaku's transfer saga takes new twist

Martinez has problems with his defence for the visit to Liverpool.

With Phil Jagielka and Seamus Coleman out, and doubts about Leighton Baines, Aaron Lennon and Tom Cleverley, and he could be forced to play youngster Callum Connolly at Anfield.

PROBABLE TEAMS
Liverpool Mignolet; Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno; Allen, Milner; Coutinho, Origi, Lallana; Firmino.

Everton Joel; Connolly, Stones, Funes Mori, Oviedo; McCarthy, Besic, Barry; Deulofeu, Barkley; Lukaku.

There Are None So Blind as Those Who Will Not See.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/defiant-roberto-martinez-warns-fed-7788641

Defiant Roberto Martinez warns fed-up Evertonians he won't change his philosophy because it WILL work

Getty
Watford-v-Everton.jpg

Demolition derby: The 'Martinez Out' calls will get louder if Everton lose at Anfield on Wednesday
Roberto Martinez is adamant he will not be deflected by ferocious criticism from angry Everton fans.

And the Goodison boss claims that far from being hurt by stinging recent attacks from furious individuals – with one confronting him in the stand at an U21s gameand another running onto the pitch during the draw with Southampton at the weekend to vent his frustration – he is inspired by the support coming from the vast majority of Blues.

And he suggested that the silent majority of supporters understand that he is following the tough path of trying to introduce a footballing philosophy that will finally lift the ceiling which in the past prevented Everton from joining the Premier League elite.

Martinez is under pressure as he enters a week that will define the club’s season ... and perhaps his own future.

Watch — Roberto Martinez speaks before Wednesday's Merseyside derby:

But he was relaxed, despite having a major defensive crisis, ahead of Wednesday night’s Merseyside derby and an FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United at Wembley on Saturday.

He told his Tuesday press conference: “I am not stupid.

"I bring a different style of football. If we win the games, everything will be fine, if we lose, everything will be my fault.

“It is about the style of football, not how good you are with that style. I will always promote a style of football that will allow us to compete with any team – and not have a roof of the top seven.

In pictures — Angry fan's pitch invasion protest at Everton vs Southampton:

VIEW GALLERY
An-Everton-fan-runs-on-to-the-pitch-and-confronts-Leon-Osman.jpg

“We need to be a team that can compete with anyone and not have an excuse or a reason not to do that.”

And after yet more abuse from fans he was asked whether he was hurt by the reaction and said: “The honest answer is, from a manager’s point of view, you don’t feel hurt because you need to accept the results are not right. They are not what we expect or what we promote. You are going to get that sort of reaction.

"From a human point of view, we are all aware of what is going on and that can hurt you. But in the same way I’ve had many more signs from fans who see what we are trying to do, and can see where we are going.

"From a human point of view again, it gives you a real drive and satisfaction.

“I’ve had letters and met some fans at the ground who were very supportive. At the U21s game, people showed they care about the football club.

“They have seen flashes of what we are about. Even seeing the team losing, they say they can see a team that has showed so much bravery, and so much attacking play, and so many signs from the players and good young players that they haven’t see before.

That is a bold claim with his team sitting 11th with their lowest EVER home points total four games from the end of the season, but he said: “It gives you the satisfaction that certain fans can see the results of what we are trying to achieve.

Flashback — Everton and Liverpool draw 1-1 in October's reverse fixture:

Everton star Romelu Lukaku's transfer saga takes new twist

Martinez has problems with his defence for the visit to Liverpool.

With Phil Jagielka and Seamus Coleman out, and doubts about Leighton Baines, Aaron Lennon and Tom Cleverley, and he could be forced to play youngster Callum Connolly at Anfield.

PROBABLE TEAMS
Liverpool Mignolet; Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno; Allen, Milner; Coutinho, Origi, Lallana; Firmino.

Everton Joel; Connolly, Stones, Funes Mori, Oviedo; McCarthy, Besic, Barry; Deulofeu, Barkley; Lukaku.
He's lost the plot! He thinks he's building a team that can compete with anyone and yet we only seem to be able to win against the bottom 3. Our best league wins this season are against Southampton and Stoke.

If he's still in charge in the summer then I give up.

Fantastic.

We are struggling to compete with mid table teams like but nice to know the intention is there to aim higher.

I'm not even mad anymore, it's just turned into a what will he say next routine now. It's clear he isn't good enough and by all rights be out of a job in May so keep believing Roberto, hopefully that gets you a new job sooner rather than later

Reactions: JLW
Martinez is demonstrating that however hard you try and apply pseudo-psychology, spin or old fashioned bs, soon or later if results prove different, you'll be found out. Rodgers being a prime example. The next three days are his reckoning. If he pulls it off and he won't have any excuses if he doesn't, because the supporters for sure will be behind him for both games. Then fair play to him, he'll deserve the plaudits. Fail, and the so-called silent majority, he'll find soon enough will be after his blood. Rightly so.

I'd like to think he'll be replaced either way. I'd like to think we've finally turned a corner, new chapter and all that. That 40 points and a good cup run, regardless of winning it, won't take priority over our historic ambitions. I'd like to think that our new owner matches those ambitions and not only wish to emulate what's gone before but improve on it. I'd like to think that Bill Kenwright could be thanked for all he's done and then moved aside. Now wouldn't that be grand.

We'll all find out soon enough. We didn't capitalize at the start of the so called Premier League era. It's my belief that a new one is upon us now. Let's hope we have the people at the club this time around. The manager, the board, the players, backroom staff they all have to live up to the famous motto and as supporters we have to demand it from them. Joseph De Maistre once said, "Every nation gets the government it deserves". It's perhaps a wee bit harsh. I'd like to think we haven't had the club we deserve for a long time. Maybe it's time we did.

If (as I expect) we fail to win the next 2 games, surely the wider fanbase, usually so apathetic at the games, will turn vicious? What do people think will happen - will there be an outbreak of serious tutting, or will there be chants, more banners maybe?

HANKIES mate...the HANKIES will be out in a manner not seen since...Hmmm....well, since....ermmm...

There'll be HANKIES anyway.

Even seeing the team losing, they say they can see a team that has showed so much bravery, and so much attacking play, and so many signs from the players and good young players that they haven’t see before.

His understanding of what is going on on the pitch, and in the stands, just grows weaker and weaker with every statement he makes.

It's extremely sad that having witnessed his, actually our, team unravel at an alarming rate, he himself now appears to be doing so.

With comments such as these it justifies further the decision to change managers.

His understanding of what is going on on the pitch, and in the stands, just grows weaker and weaker with every statement he makes.

It's extremely sad that having witnessed his, actually our, team unravel at an alarming rate, he himself now appears to be doing so.

With comments such as these it justifies further the decision to change managers.

...it's now actually becoming a bit uncomfortable.

This might seem a little bit over the top and is in no way whatsoever meant to be or taken as being funny because it could be genuinely serious, but given some of his statements, comments and answers to questions in just the last couple of weeks, is Roberto Martinez so far in denial as to be edging close to some sort of breakdown?

He seems to have lost all sense of reality - surely he cannot seriously believe that what thousands of Evertonians, lots of the media and probably most of his fellow managers and coaches can see is that his methodology/philosophy/whatever you want to call it is patently not working.

He surely cannot fail to realise that his job and potentially his career in football management - certainly at this level - is in severe danger of ending much, much sooner than later, maybe as early as Monday ?

As you say Esk, it's extremely sad.

I am now past being angry at him, I'm beginning to feel that he is so lost that he is in danger of some sort of mental collapse.

For all the spouting we do here on this and other forums, I respectfully suggest nobody on here can claim to know what it's like to be in such a high profile and high pressure job, and for that I hope we can get a result tonight and beat Manu on Saturday - even if only to give him a slightly easier few more days/weeks as Everton manager as a change is surely coming.

This might seem a little bit over the top and is in no way whatsoever meant to be or taken as being funny because it could be genuinely serious, but given some of his statements, comments and answers to questions in just the last couple of weeks, is Roberto Martinez so far in denial as to be edging close to some sort of breakdown?

He seems to have lost all sense of reality - surely he cannot seriously believe that what thousands of Evertonians, lots of the media and probably most of his fellow managers and coaches can see is that his methodology/philosophy/whatever you want to call it is patently not working.

He surely cannot fail to realise that his job and potentially his career in football management - certainly at this level - is in severe danger of ending much, much sooner than later, maybe as early as Monday ?

As you say Esk, it's extremely sad.

I am now past being angry at him, I'm beginning to feel that he is so lost that he is in danger of some sort of mental collapse.

For all the spouting we do here on this and other forums, I respectfully suggest nobody on here can claim to know what it's like to be in such a high profile and high pressure job, and for that I hope we can get a result tonight and beat Manu on Saturday - even if only to give him a slightly easier few more days/weeks as Everton manager as a change is surely coming.

I wouldn't worry too much tbh. Yes, he's under pressure, but his verbal presentation is pretty much the same as it always has been. At worst he is a psychopath that constantly makes use of superficial charm. At best he uses 'charm offensive' as a PR tool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superficial_charm

Psychopathic charm[edit]
It has become widely accepted that the sociopath/psychopath was characterised by superficial charm and a disregard for other people's feelings.[6] According to Hare, "Psychopathic charm is not in the least shy, self-conscious, or afraid to say anything."[7]

Charm offensive[edit]
See also: Public relations and Spin (public relations)
A "charm offensive" is a related concept meaning a publicity campaign, usually by politicians, that attempts to attract supporters by emphasizing their charisma or trustworthiness. The first recorded use of the expression is in the California newspaper The Fresno Bee Republican in October 1956.[22]

Oh bobby, everyday you're sounding more and more like you've lost your marbles. Surely you must be aware that successful managers accept when things are not working and adapt and change. Tut tut tut, more and more obvious that the size and pressure of this job as totally consumed and overwhelmed you. It's like watching mike walker crumble all over again

*sighs*

Reactions: JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back