Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were 11th last season and will probably end up worse than that this season with this great squad.
You move the goalposts all the time dude to back the clown.
I can imagine him taking us down and you saying its not a bad thing cos we need a new start.
He is so weak and clueless and you know it underneath pal
We can cut to the chase on all this pretty quickly: will Martinez be here next season?

No other answer than a resounding yes, for me.

He'll be here because he retains the support of the chairman who guides the owners (new as well as old...and we know Moshiri has spoken already to Martinez and wont be making kneejerk decisions anytime soon). The support base is Jekyll and Hyde after each win or loss.

A Martinez dismissal is as remote as it's ever been.

We can cut to the chase on all this pretty quickly: will Martinez be here next season?

He'll be here because he retains the support of the chairman who guides the owners (new as well as old...and we know Moshiri has spoken already to Martinez and wont be making kneejerk decisions anytime soon). The support base is Jekyll and Hyde after each win or loss.

The same chairman you despised/despise for retaining Moyes.

:coffee:

I agree with this. The league form is below par but I suppose I would like overwhelming evidence if we are to sack a manager.

I also think we have made improvements this season, even though that doesn't look very easy to see at the moment. IF we win our game in hand we are within touching distance of 8th. We could still finish 7th. Our attacking play this season has improved, and the performances of Barkley, Lukaku have really come on. This season we haven't been poor, we have just been hugely naive. That is some progress on last season when we were very poor. This is reflected in our improvements in the cup competitions.

We have thrown away 7 points from positions where we were winning by two goals going into the last 20 minutes of a match. This is both a startling lack of game management, stupidity, bad defending,some poor refereeing and tactical ineptitude. Martinez doesn't escape criticism but what it also shows is with a little more game knowledge (or some game knowledge) winning those 7 points would have us on 45 points. Within 7 of Arsenal with a game in hand. If you add in the two points against Norwich where we battered them and you begin to get an understanding of how we have balked up this season not as much through poor performances but by lacking game knowledge.

I don't think this was what was missing last season. We were dull, slow and uncreative for large parts. Those things have been rectified. If we end up finishing 10th for me Martinez deserves another season. He needs to show he can match some exceptional performances with winning football. This is the big blot on his resume. At times his sides can produce scintillating stuff but as yet he has never been able to make a side into a winning machine. Consistency within games is going to be critical. What he does in the transfer market is going to be critical. For me he gets another season (if we continue as we are) and gets another chance to show he can produce a team that is consistent.

I don't think we are a long way off. Or at least, we look further away from being a top team than we are. I've plucked a handful of matches that had we have done something basic like holding out we'd be in the top 6. We were miles away from the top 6 last season. I also think in most games we have been a little unlucky.

Yesterday we play with 10 men for most of the game and end up losing a game we'd win. West Brom they score with their only shot on target. Swansea Howard throws a howler. Stoke we are too hung ho and are on the end of a bad penalty decision. Leicester we lose to two penalties. Each game we've lost (apart from Manchester United) we've had one thing or another go against us. I agree though, love the course of a season it's not bad luck, but naive management.

The challenge next season is to eradicate luck and to "wise up". We are close under Martinez. In all honesty from our remaining fixtures in the league I can still see us winning 8. We are that close from being a very good team. We've got the worst possible draw in the cup, facing any of the other sides I'd have fancied us against. Lets hope we can get through it. Luck looks back to his best now anyway.
*Stands and applauds*

100% spot on. Warts'n'all you've captured this season right there.

You make a lot of confident predictions Dave that end up not happening. Stay out the bookies lad.

The same chairman you despised/despise for retaining Moyes.

:coffee:
The same manager I backed to the hilt for the first 7 seasons? Yes. I think that's called loyalty until the evidence wears pretty thin...a stage we are nowhere near at yet with Martinez.

"Thought last week was too good to last like but if Lukaku puts that penalty away then 99% of this fume doesn't happen."

Would of been 3 -3, again given a win away from a winning position with several minutes to go

You make a lot of confident predictions Dave that end up not happening. Stay out the bookies lad.
I don't go the bookies mate. A lot of people on here seem to be talking up the odds though, but when they're requested to back their fine and bold words up by actually betting cash it all goes quiet. I wonder why that is? Maybe they know their predictions are merely hot air and will amount to nothing...just like all the other times Martinez was 'going to be sacked'?

"Thought last week was too good to last like but if Lukaku puts that penalty away then 99% of this fume doesn't happen."

Would of been 3 -3, again given a win away from a winning position with several minutes to go

Eh? Drawing from a three goal advantage is less ire-inducing than losing from a two goal advantage? :Blink:

Sorry, what's your source on his retention of the chairmans support?

Or is it more guesswork and assumption?

Address the issue. The fans don't manage the team.

The team & management's schizophrenia has manifested itself into the fan's psyche. Don't blame the fans.
I don't blame the fans. Fans are fickle. It's like blaming a leopard for having spots.

All you can do is shrug at the 'he's gorra go lad' posts and recognise that lasts for a weekend and then we win next weekend and then everyone settles back down to accepting that a good manager is going to be with us for the duration.

Rinse and repeat.

I don't go the bookies mate. A lot of people on here seem to be talking up the odds though, but when they're requested to back their fine and bold words up by actually betting cash it all goes quiet. I wonder why that is? Maybe they know their predictions are merely hot air and will amount to nothing...just like all the other times Martinez was 'going to be sacked'?
Care to place a bet that he'll stay then?

I seem to remember a poster doing exactly that to you with one of your more "ambitious" claims. Asked you to put your money where your mouth was but your wallet got anemia. Come around to yerself lad.

The same manager I backed to the hilt for the first 7 seasons? Yes. I think that's called loyalty until the evidence wears pretty thin...a stage we are nowhere near at yet with Martinez.

You, dave, you.

Moyes deserved our support for that time. Martinez has, justifiably, lost the majority of the Evertonian support and faith. That's a difficult thing to do, Evertonians don't like turning on their own manager.

He's feeling the pressure, and so he should. He's under-performed for the majority of his Everton contract now. He's blaming anyone and everyone, it's embarrassing. He's unprompted, telling the world he can handle added pressure from Moshiri.

If Moshiri has genuine ambition for Everton to compete, he'll be considering the manager now. I agree with the pundits saying Martinez needs a strong finish to save his job... If we finish where we are now, 11th, the same as last season - he absolutely has to be sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back