Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please re-read accordingly.

Is there a better manager out there who'll realistically replace him, though? I don't think there is right now.
They won't sack him during the season.

If he is to get the boot it'll be after the dust has settled and his performance is reviewed in May.

We should be getting to QFs and SFs of cups every season. It should be the norm, not something go dancing down the street about. That should only happen if we actually win one.

If we get beat in the cup it's another poor season.

2 poor seasons on the bounce means heads roll in the PL these days.

Results are worth more to our club than pandering to his misguided philosophy on football that feeds his ego.

He inherited a very good team. He's had money to spend to improve it and taken it backwards by any metric that matters in football.

Getting to the cup SF is worthless. Ok, by the same token, getting 5th in the league is hopeless because there's no CL.

That sorts out the way we should have looked at most of our seasons in the sooper doper Barclays Premier League. No difference between 5th and 15th.

5th gets European football, in the 14/15 season on merit placement money the difference between 5th and 15th was 12.4m, 19.8m for 5th, 7.4m for 15th, each place is worth 1.23m pound, the season after finishing 5th you will recieve a hell of a lot more telivised dates and a hell of a lot more money from that than will the team finishing 15th, so lets call it roughly 3.5m that spurs recieved over the next season compared with the 15th place team Newcastle (who actually get televised a lot comapred to the teams that finish around them)

So Dave what your saying is their is no difference between 5th and 15th, no difference amounting to European football that we all want to see our team play and 16m pound.

A FA cup semi final gets you the square root of nothing

Taken this out the takeover thread.

I think we will beat Chelsea, but then I thought we would beat City, Wigan and other times we have been so close to Wembley I can taste it, im trying to keep defeat out of my head, but if we lose the next 3 games, I want him sacked, not saying he has to win all 3, but 3 defeats would certainly be my cut off point, thats where I currently am, ive revised my end of season deadline, hes currently on an almost game by game basis.

Im at my tipping point.

Hope we do beat them and go on to win the thing, but thats my heart speaking, my head knows we won't win it and we will keep doing the same old same old this season, wish i had the optimism i had as a kid still

What makes this worse is that first season i genuinely fell for him, and being someone who hated moyes now left to look back and having to admit that the first season was a utter fluke of cicumstance and Martinez got lucky following a coach who had instilled in the team everything he painfully lacks, now that has faded we are left with the real martinez for all to see, and that makes it all the more sad.

Some mates of the lad saying after the Chelsea game, they are going with the Martinez out banners,so the media will be getting the message,was only a matter of time.

Ok, now we've all had the weekend to digest what happened on Saturday, here is my humble opinion. Whilst I was a happy with his appointment, ecstatic after his first season, and prepared to give him another chance ever since, I have come to the conclusion that our Bobby simply isn't up to the task.
His defensive flaws are all too obvious, and at times his tactics too. Unfortunately he has a few too many flaws, I just think we could and should be doing better than Bobby.
I don't understand how some want to give him even more time, surely a manager at a premier league club should be more of a complete coach. I appreciate most managers need help in certain areas of the game but it seems he can't even get that right by employing it seems the wrong people.
I can't recall him ever taking responsibility for a poor performance or a defeat, I'm all for shielding and protecting your own players but he's become a master in deflecting blame from himself by contantly blaming other influences.
I was hoping he'd learn fast, I was hoping he'd stop being so stubborn, but he should have done much better with the talent he has at his disposal. At times we have played some pretty fine togger. But unfortunately it's been too rare and outnumbered by some absolute dross.
I don't know if he will be given more time by our new overlord, and I've no idea who would replace him if he wasn't, but I just can't see him improving himself or the team any further, he's not on work experience and he's not an apprentice learning his trade, he should be the finished article right now, but all I see is too many backward steps.

Some mates of the lad saying after the Chelsea game, they are going with the Martinez out banners,so the media will be getting the message,was only a matter of time.
I think the media are aware that there's a undercurrent of tension between the fans and Martinez; Radio 5Live were talking about it the other day.

It was also mentioned on MOTD Extra on Sunday afternoon, although the reporter expressed that he thought it was slightly unfair. Hmm...

Anyway, the problem is that in my opinion such overt criticism may be detrimental to the fortunes of the team and their success is paramount.

Personally, I do not want Martinez to fail as his failure is Everton's failure, even though this may hasten his departure which some would like.

If we create another hostile atmosphere for the players to face then how can we expect to beat Chelsea? In the end we're just spiting ourselves.

However is the status quo as it is now acceptable? No, as if we do not show our disgruntlement then maybe Martinez will not adapt his approach.

It's difficult... maybe I'm just in the ol' camp of being subtly disgruntled rather than the now common open booing and calls for his departure.

Offer Mourinho 100m to spend and see if he goes for it

Honestly, dont think Jose is realistic, we can offer him the wages, we can offer him a "warchest", but hes not the long project type, he wants teams that have a chance of winning stuff and I mean real stuff, the CL, the Title, sure he MIGHT be able to get us a CC or an FA Cup, but thats not enough for Jose.

We need somebody with staying power, somebody that enjoys the long project, somebody that values a youth set up, Jose is a winner and would without question be by far the best man for the job, if the job is to be Champion, we aint Champions, we aint even close to being also rans currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back