Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/more/prize-fund

Both cups are financially pretty much worthless. It's just the "prestige" of winning the tin pot.

As I've argued 10x over on here, I'd take a 4th place finish ahead of winning either cup five times personally, as 4th gives you the potential to completely overhaul the level the club competes at for years, whereas the FA Cup in the modern era does precisely nothing long term. See Wigan for details.

......I dare say there are commercial benefits that come with a cup win (merchandise, increased sponsorship etc) but it's not a question of either/or, we should be striving for cup success and top4.

http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/more/prize-fund

Both cups are financially pretty much worthless. It's just the "prestige" of winning the tin pot.

As I've argued 10x over on here, I'd take a 4th place finish ahead of winning either cup five times personally, as 4th gives you the potential to completely overhaul the level the club competes at for years, whereas the FA Cup in the modern era does precisely nothing long term. See Wigan for details.

Same goes for the europa imo.

When we had the run that ended against florence, we were complaining about the massive imbalance of prize monies between that and CL because we only made a gain of £440k.

Leicester, if they finish top 3 (And there's nowt to suggest they won't at the minute) and/or they qualify for the group stages of CL and there's a guaranteed £25m or more for them to build for another pop in the league, plus the attention they'll get from the rest of Europe's players aiming to play in the PL...

But @davek doesnt even think they will....they're nothing, leicester, see?

Nothing - with a chance of earning the big bucks....

Same goes for the europa imo.

When we had the run that ended against florence, we were complaining about the massive imbalance of prize monies between that and CL because we only made a gain of £440k.

Leicester, if they finish top 3 (And there's nowt to suggest they won't at the minute) and/or they qualify for the group stages of CL and there's a guaranteed £25m or more for them to build for another pop in the league, plus the attention they'll get from the rest of Europe's players aiming to play in the PL...

But @davek doesnt even think they will....they're nothing, leicester, see?

Nothing - with a chance of earning the big bucks....
Leicester will win the league and how they deserve it.

How do you feel about that?
By the way we will beat chelsea i reckon

Taken this out the takeover thread.

I think we will beat Chelsea, but then I thought we would beat City, Wigan and other times we have been so close to Wembley I can taste it, im trying to keep defeat out of my head, but if we lose the next 3 games, I want him sacked, not saying he has to win all 3, but 3 defeats would certainly be my cut off point, thats where I currently am, ive revised my end of season deadline, hes currently on an almost game by game basis.

Im at my tipping point.

Taken this out the takeover thread.

I think we will beat Chelsea, but then I thought we would beat City, Wigan and other times we have been so close to Wembley I can taste it, im trying to keep defeat out of my head, but if we lose the next 3 games, I want him sacked, not saying he has to win all 3, but 3 defeats would certainly be my cut off point, thats where I currently am, ive revised my end of season deadline, hes currently on an almost game by game basis.

Im at my tipping point.
Cheers for answering its sad being an everton fan but with a new owner we could be whatever we want next season but need the right man in charge

... he needs additional support brought in in order to strengthen his weakness as a man manager and as a tactician.

Probably true, but based on :-

1. What someone I know who was fairly close to the coaching setup at Wigan and
  2. The impression I've got from his time here
He's a very stubborn man and is unlikely to accept that sort of help, which may turn out be a problem.

ah well its only another season written off, living in hope that he will prove me wrong and realise the importance of closing
a game down, he really is a `flawed genius`

There's no contradiction in all that. Martinez being consulted on summer spending in his meetings with Moshiri isn't the same as addressing fans regarding that matter is it? As stated, we shouldn't expect anything in detail, but the general direction we can expect to be heading in under his stewardship would be appropriate.

Fair enough, I would say there is some contradiction, but I'd be nitpicking

Despite you suggesting that I'm stupid yesterday, I can assure you I'm not.

Haha

I can't remember exactly the first bit of what I said but it was something which basically meant "You're either just trying to wind me up by totally ignoring my point or you're stupid" and I don't think you're stupid dave, far from it, you're a damned sight brighter than I am, but then again, that's not saying much. I actually thought it was a fairly obvious way of saying stop being a WUM ffs, so maybe I was too subtle, but it's nice to see you nibble on a bit of popcorn !

I know @The Esk has asked folk not to get personal, but, as I said in another thread, I believe your views are sincere, both in here and on the new shareholder thread but you've spent the best part of 18 months subtly popcorning / winding Evertonians up on all things Martinez. I don't really have a problem with that, it's quite amusing watching you work, but, ironically, the downside for you is that people don't take your views as seriously as you'd like, which, for the most part, is a situation you've created for yourself, so, in that respect, I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.

I like the guy, but would still sack him. He has helped assemble a very good side but can't get the best out of them.

People go on about our attacking play, but come on, Stevie Wonder could get our side to play attacking football as it's a quality side.

The biggest.issue is that in his first season he was open to change, half time subs etc. . But now his stubbornness is ridiculous. Also don't get me started on his press conferences.

And a better chance of keeping the players you have

You start accepting 12th place then it won't be long until you start finishing 15th and creeping towards the relegation zone.

There's a world of difference in how a team is perceived through league placing. If the season was to finish tomorrow then everyone would say we've had a shocker.

Fair enough, I would say there is some contradiction, but I'd be nitpicking

Haha

I can't remember exactly the first bit of what I said but it was something which basically meant "You're either just trying to wind me up by totally ignoring my point or you're stupid" and I don't think you're stupid dave, far from it, you're a damned sight brighter than I am, but then again, that's not saying much. I actually thought it was a fairly obvious way of saying stop being a WUM ffs, so maybe I was too subtle, but it's nice to see you nibble on a bit of popcorn !

I know @The Esk has asked folk not to get personal, but, as I said in another thread, I believe your views are sincere, both in here and on the new shareholder thread but you've spent the best part of 18 months subtly popcorning / winding Evertonians up on all things Martinez. I don't really have a problem with that, it's quite amusing watching you work, but, ironically, the downside for you is that people don't take your views as seriously as you'd like, which, for the most part, is a situation you've created for yourself, so, in that respect, I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.

Strike one to Wooly !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back