Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting to the cup SF is worthless. Ok, by the same token, getting 5th in the league is hopeless because there's no CL.

That sorts out the way we should have looked at most of our seasons in the sooper doper Barclays Premier League. No difference between 5th and 15th.

The difference in prize money between finishing 5th and 15th is absolutely massive, especially if you take into consideration the additional income you would receive from playing in Europe the following season. There would also be an absolutely massive difference in the quality of your Saturday afternoons if you were finishing 5th rather than 15th. A 5th placed finish may make your season ticket value for money, whereas paying £500+ to watch us finish 15th isn't value for money at all. There is quite simply a massive difference between finishing 5th or 15th.

What worries me is where would we be in the table with a weakened squad with Roberto as manager? 15 or 16th? Talk of relegation? That frightens me because it is not far off. This guy has red flags all over his project. Ultimately I think the fans will decide his fate, not the board.

We've also battered quite a few teams this season and not got what we've deserved.

Fifth gets European football. Which may not be important to you, but it is to the players. 12th 'and a good cup run' gets..what?
Oh great, the EL place. Prepare to open the trophy cabinet for the 5th place trophy.

Let's be consistent shall we? If the cup SFs are 'nothing' neither is 5th.

Getting to the cup SF is worthless. Ok, by the same token, getting 5th in the league is hopeless because there's no CL.

That sorts out the way we should have looked at most of our seasons in the sooper doper Barclays Premier League. No difference between 5th and 15th.

5th gets you an Europa place. And what is the difference on the prize money between 5th and 15th? £12-£15m. So yeah getting 5th makes a hell of a difference.

The difference in prize money between finishing 5th and 15th is absolutely massive, especially if you take into consideration the additional income you would receive from playing in Europe the following season. There would also be an absolutely massive difference in the quality of your Saturday afternoons if you were finishing 5th rather than 15th. A 5th placed finish may make your season ticket value for money, whereas paying £500+ to watch us finish 15th isn't value for money at all. There is quite simply a massive difference between finishing 5th or 15th.
7th to midtable is the differential. What's that - £6M. In the context of the tv deal it's nothing. Also, you can factor in the cup run cash. Not much difference after all that's added up.

Cup run cash?!

LC = £100k winners

FAC = £2m winners

League places are worth how much, again?

http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/more/prize-fund

Both cups are financially pretty much worthless. It's just the "prestige" of winning the tin pot.

As I've argued 10x over on here, I'd take a 4th place finish ahead of winning either cup five times personally, as 4th gives you the potential to completely overhaul the level the club competes at for years, whereas the FA Cup in the modern era does precisely nothing long term. See Wigan for details.

He sticks to his belief and is too stubborn to admit his failings. If I am Bobby, I would tell the team to waste time and park the bus, making sure Everton win.

.....I have a view on the Kone role but to be fair it has worked a treat on a couple of occasions this season. Perhaps he's trying to be too clever at times, perhaps he is stubborn but ultimately he'll be judged on results and if he finds a way to win matches we'll all be chuffed.

Funny thing for me is that he has mastered the hardest part of managing a successful/entertaining side. We play great attacking football score at will, home, away and Europe and receive plaudits from the nations written and tv press. The big problem is he can't get it into his head that you can't give international quality players Space and time when they are in possession. Our back four is not slow, there is no need to defend right on top of our keeper, push the back four up 20yds engage the oppo higher up the field and installl some kind of pressing system on the man on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back