Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You start accepting 12th place then it won't be long until you start finishing 15th and creeping towards the relegation zone.

There's a world of difference in how a team is perceived through league placing. If the season was to finish tomorrow then everyone would say we've had a shocker.
Quite correct sir and its not on.
We need a team competing at the top again and to be fair we have the players and a new owner

I invite you to drop your agenda and take a more reasonable approach towards our unfortunate current scenario sir.

I was clinging to that fence only by my fingernails until last Saturday when Roberto stamped on them and pushed me over the edge. So I will respectfully decline your invitation sir.

Oh great, the EL place. Prepare to open the trophy cabinet for the 5th place trophy.

Let's be consistent shall we? If the cup SFs are 'nothing' neither is 5th.

Give it a rest. We can get to the semi by beating 3 lower league sides and one decent side. Getting fifth requires about 20 victories in the EPL. Future signing also look at league position when considering who to join, not whether we had a good cup run. Laughable argument.

Oh great, the EL place. Prepare to open the trophy cabinet for the 5th place trophy.

Let's be consistent shall we? If the cup SFs are 'nothing' neither is 5th.
5th is knocking on the door of the CL and ignoring the additional revenue per place, also makes the club more likely to be able to attract a better quality of player and also stand a better chance of retaining the ones we already have!

To try and make out that there's no tangible difference between finishing 12th and 5th is beyond what is even half sensible. You've therefore got to be on the wind up imo.

Fair enough, I would say there is some contradiction, but I'd be nitpicking

Haha

I can't remember exactly the first bit of what I said but it was something which basically meant "You're either just trying to wind me up by totally ignoring my point or you're stupid" and I don't think you're stupid dave, far from it, you're a damned sight brighter than I am, but then again, that's not saying much. I actually thought it was a fairly obvious way of saying stop being a WUM ffs, so maybe I was too subtle, but it's nice to see you nibble on a bit of popcorn !

I know @The Esk has asked folk not to get personal, but, as I said in another thread, I believe your views are sincere, both in here and on the new shareholder thread but you've spent the best part of 18 months subtly popcorning / winding Evertonians up on all things Martinez. I don't really have a problem with that, it's quite amusing watching you work, but, ironically, the downside for you is that people don't take your views as seriously as you'd like, which, for the most part, is a situation you've created for yourself, so, in that respect, I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.
I stopped taking him seriously a fair while ago...he is a WUM who is the only GOTer on my ignore list

*clicks reply.

*types attack at The Esk.

*hovers over Post Reply button but bottles it and deletes.

*posts process using asterisks, remembers he needs to be on topic.

A good point made earlier about it probably not being the best time to sack him now and rather the summer, just for player stability. But I would sack him before he gets Moshiri's warchest, so basically a week after the season ends would be the right time in my view.

Getting to the cup SF is worthless. Ok, by the same token, getting 5th in the league is hopeless because there's no CL.

That sorts out the way we should have looked at most of our seasons in the sooper doper Barclays Premier League. No difference between 5th and 15th.

As a thinking person and a 'fan' you cannot mean that...

As a thinking person and a 'fan' you cannot mean that...

As a human with a brain he can't think that, as it's objectively not true as a statement.

Not an attack by the way, it's just it was either phrased wrong or bad wumming. As 5th and 15th are not the same, there is a difference between the two. It's like saying there's no difference between blue and yellow.

I think Martinez has had enough time to prove that we're never going to be defensively sound enough to reach the top four.

An Arsenal fan told me that we have "a sickening amount of attacking talent but behind Martinez is letting that go to waste".

Is there a better manager out there who'll realistically replace him, though? I don't think there is right now.

I think Martinez has had enough time to prove that we're never going to be defensively sound enough to reach the top four.

An Arsenal fan told me that we have "a sickening amount of attacking talent but behind Martinez is letting that go to waste".

Is there a better manager out there who'll realistically replace him, though? I don't think there is right now.

As in right this minute? Loads probably. All they'd have to know is what the phrase "see the game out" means to be an improvement.

But in terms of a manager of the right stature given our wealth - no, probably not. If we sacked him now, it'd be an interim appointment from the back room until the summer, when there'd be loads of managers available who would be an improvement on Martinez right now.

So there is nobody in Europe who we could get that could do better with this squad than Martinez?

Getting to the cup SF is worthless. Ok, by the same token, getting 5th in the league is hopeless because there's no CL.

That sorts out the way we should have looked at most of our seasons in the sooper doper Barclays Premier League. No difference between 5th and 15th.

Only Europe, our pride, potential targets (i.e. Yarmolenko) viewing us as Champions League potential instead of relegation canditates and ~£15,000,000.

No difference, really.

The same can't be said of a semi final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back