Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberto had a dream, to sink a football team,
He had some money so he spent it all on Niasse
We're sh1t at the back,
We cannot attack
The School of Science
...is back on it's ass.

I thank you.

I think that's a massive error from the club here.

I think they're trying to do the right thing by him and leaving his exit until a "mutual decision" end of the season parting of the ways.

Unfortunately I think they've under estimated the strength of feeling against this bloke and Goodison could be very ugly at the weekend, and as much as I don't want the bloke to stay, I equally don't want to see him get the level of dogs abuse he's likely going to get this week. Banners, planes et al.

For what it's worth having been involved in many press conferences and having hosted them too, I think the assembled media were politely (and off the record) requested not to go for the jugular given the club have advised that a board meeting will be taking place ahead of Saturdays' game to discuss the managers performance and position.

The club would appear to be still in the throes of talking to candidates and actually, if this is indeed the case, they are doing a quite remarkable job in keeping the names of those candidates very closely guarded.

My feeling is that should the team lose tomorrow, then the dismissal of RM would follow on Monday if not before, and an interim internal replacement given first team duties for the remaining three games.

A draw or a win and he will remain in situ on a game-by-game basis until such time as the deal to appoint Jose, er... a new manager has been concluded.

It's Friday tomorrow mate

Think im done with everton for the rest of the season now.

I'm personally not going to care about the results we have left, if he is going come the end of the season. the final results of a manager on his last weeks in a job. I expect it to be poor and the results are meaningless.

anyone but roberto i would have cared, just its not even enjoyable to see the same terrible football for the last few times if i have a choice in the matter.

Fully agree with everything there, .. I too wouldn't mind seeing sheedy and unworth in charge for last few games, all I'm trying to get across is its not the end of the world if he is left in charge until the end of the season, in my opinion it's not going to make a blind bit of difference either way. Having the right man in place with plenty of time to prepare properly for next season is what's most important.... you'd swear it was the end of the world the way some lads are going on,, also I don't agree with any of the personal attacks and insults aimed at martinez, he's not good enough to manage everton, criticise his football and tactics, but leave the personal stuff out, ... I always thought evertonians were better than that

Spud I think we are largely on the same song sheet mate and fully agree that the personal stuff has no place. It is not nice to see a baying crowd take any man apart regardless of his chosen profession.
Keep in mind though that when we don our keyboard warrior persona’s on the likes of GOT that it is nigh on impossible to convey emotion in the way an individual might of meant it - unless you are blessed with Shakespearean skills. All too easy for us to misinterpret or get the wrong end of the stick on here.

I think where we differ is that you don’t think it is important for Roberto to go as soon as possible.

You have agreed he is not good enough to manage Everton.

The personal attacks from some are a simple by-product of the fact that he has outstayed his welcome. They are likely to get worse as this drags on. They will get worse if he says anything else perceived as inappropriate or stupid, such has his 10 years of mediocrity piece, perceived as a Moyes dig. Those personal attacks are also likely to spread further to the likes of Moshiri’s new regime. The longer he stays the more this sort of behaviour is perpetuated.

The increasing calls for different types of protest will either see you fully supporting them and being called a kopite for doing so, not getting involved because it’s not the Everton way and getting called a kopite for doing so, or sat somewhere in the middle and being told you accept mediocrity and then getting called a kopite for accepting it. Once again regardless of where you sit - a divided fan base where the longer he stays the longer the various calls for action appear and the longer we are divided.

It is widely accepted that his leadership and coaching has had adverse effects on some of our young stars, this has clearly affected their individual game, is clearly taking its toll on their individual confidence and is fundamentally undermining Team Cohesion. The longer he stays the more these affects are exacerbated.

I’m approaching the twilight years of a very successful career where the concept of good Leadership is absolutely critical to what I do and I’ve worked directly for some of the best and worst types and styles that there are. Like I’ve previously stated and with no personal slant on the man himself, Roberto’s Leadership of our team has turned toxic – that spreads quicker than woodworm and is probably more damaging – it is effecting/damaging individuals (players and fans), it is undermining team cohesion (ask Bainsey) – the sad fact is that he is now offering absolutely nothing positive to the future of Everton FC but continues to damage it from a myriad of different angles every minute longer he is in charge.

If he goes now it does not affect the search for a new manager – it could even make it a bit easier because it becomes more transparent to the masses.

If he goes now the rot stops and we can start the rebuild process.

If he had stood up 24hrs after the semi-final and said sorry lads I got this wrong, it isn’t good enough so I’m going to take the cash and take Mrs Bob off to Magaluf for a few months for some Netflix and Chill – he could have walked away with head held high, dignity intact and remembered as someone who tried, was a nice lad, but it just didn’t work out. Each day he is around simply plays into the hands of the gathering crowds which have the potential to turn nasty or get out of hand in some way.

You have agreed that he is not good enough to manage Everton – and absolutley none of this is the end of the world - but what reason could there be to keep him at the club a single minute longer?

Sometimes I think that he lives in an alternate universe. I can´t believe the journalists though, didn´t we just lose 4-0 in the derby last week? And we did lose that semi didn´t we? I feel like a North Korean.

Why, what should they be doing?

Got a hotel and extra match tickets booked for Saturday as I planned to bring my two young lads up with me for their first ever home game, if I had my way I'd sack it all off right now, but they're too excited for me to do that.

It's going to be an awful atmosphere and I reckon I'll just spend the whole day having to explain to them what all the booing is for and why everyone is swearing and looking like they're about to have an aneurism.

Not the experience I wanted for their first Goodison visit. Would have been so different if the board just grew a pair and got rid of him now. Getting beyond a joke now and I'm starting to actively dislike the man rather than just think he's a not very good manager

For what it's worth having been involved in many press conferences and having hosted them too, I think the assembled media were politely (and off the record) requested not to go for the jugular given the club have advised that a board meeting will be taking place ahead of Saturdays' game to discuss the managers performance and position.

The club would appear to be still in the throes of talking to candidates and actually, if this is indeed the case, they are doing a quite remarkable job in keeping the names of those candidates very closely guarded.

My feeling is that should the team lose tomorrow, then the dismissal of RM would follow on Monday if not before, and an interim internal replacement given first team duties for the remaining three games.

A draw or a win and he will remain in situ on a game-by-game basis until such time as the deal to appoint Jose, er... a new manager has been concluded.

I think if we were gonna sack him and put an interim manager in place then we'd have done it already, I think he'll be here until the end of the season no matter what happens and hopefully that gives the club time to sort a new manager and make an almost immediate announcement on Robertos replacement when he goes.

I could of course have applied far too much logic there and we'll actually stumble through the first half of next season with Kenwright as manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back