Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Moyes was coming back he would be in the job by now.
Talking to a mate this morning about the situation and he says there are only 2 reasons he can see why Martinez is still there. Compo being one and the other being a media speculation frenzy with a vaccum. He says that if you have a number 1 target and you have not agreed a deal before you sack Martinez then it could give other clubs a chance to snatch him off you. He thinks that Pelligrini is a shoe in for the job and that they may be waiting until after the Champions League semi to confirm.

If Barkley has one more pre season under Roberto Martinez he'll end up with type 2 diabetes.

I stole this joke.

Pre-Season Weigh-In...

fat-kid_ardsfs.webp

On the team’s current form…

“I always encourage huge expectations and I think, as a football club, we need to drive ourselves to get into the top four positions.

“Over the last three years, we’ve put together and developed a team that can perform against anyone.

From the press conference. This is just complete bullshit again from Roberto, we are languishing in the bottom half of the table and potentially slip down lower after the weekend. Where does he think we are driving ourselves towards the Top 4 positions ? and we havent won for 7 games how does that show we can perform against anyone, we clearly cant. If this was a performance hearing at work I would be on my arse.

No the table doesnt lie and we currently lie in midtable. Not at the top, not down the bottom. He has recorded or lowest home points total (well he hasnt yet, the season aint over..) but you dont win something for having good home form alone.

I have no idea what he says in half his statements to be honest. All footballers talk rubbish though.

I keep sounding like I am a Martinez backer and to be honest I'm not. I am just trying to be fair to him when I see some stuff said that is a bit OTT.
2 points covers 11-16th place. We could easily finish 16th, fifth from bottom. If Martinez stays for the last 4 games I'm sure we won't be 11th at end of season. We're currently suffering a 43% points drop since his first season.

Clubs announcing managers departing at end of season, but yet nothing from us and people get snappy because I am a little concerned that it wont actually happen, great stuff

the most logical answer is stability. Only 3 weeks left of the season in which we have nothing to really play for. Plans should (and according to esk) are being made for the future so although it is just incredibly bad form for the club to put him in the firing line, whether martinez is here now is just a formality to see the season out.
This is what I don't get. If the Goodison crowd turns on Martinez on sight and keep it up for the rest of the season, what sort of
environment is that going to create when there are football matches to won.

We're trying to attract top managers who probably already have a job, and how much harder is that going to be if we lose them all?

Then there's the money to be earned by finishing higher up the table, 1.5 million per spot, I believe.

If any one or all of Royle, Unsworth or Sheedy took over for a few weeks it would ease the tension and we could all relax, the players and the crowd.

That first bit doesnt make sense though because the squad WAS broken. He got another year out of them and pushed on somewhat with some new additions. Beyond that though the squad was creaking as a fair few of them passed their point of usefulness.

Barkley has improved under Martinez, I dont see how that is debatable really. He has gone rubbish the second half of this season but so has everyone.

Naismith was never quite good enough. He would have been made not to take the money on offer for him. Is Niasse a turkey? Well who knows? We aint seen him play much.

No the table doesnt lie and we currently lie in midtable. Not at the top, not down the bottom. He has recorded or lowest home points total (well he hasnt yet, the season aint over..) but you dont win something for having good home form alone.

I have no idea what he says in half his statements to be honest. All footballers talk rubbish though.

I keep sounding like I am a Martinez backer and to be honest I'm not. I am just trying to be fair to him when I see some stuff said that is a bit OTT.
Join us.
#Cult4Eva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back