Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That first bit doesnt make sense though because the squad WAS broken. He got another year out of them and pushed on somewhat with some new additions. Beyond that though the squad was creaking as a fair few of them passed their point of usefulness.

Barkley has improved under Martinez, I dont see how that is debatable really. He has gone rubbish the second half of this season but so has everyone.

Naismith was never quite good enough. He would have been made not to take the money on offer for him. Is Niasse a turkey? Well who knows? We aint seen him play much.

No the table doesnt lie and we currently lie in midtable. Not at the top, not down the bottom. He has recorded or lowest home points total (well he hasnt yet, the season aint over..) but you dont win something for having good home form alone.

I have no idea what he says in half his statements to be honest. All footballers talk rubbish though.

I keep sounding like I am a Martinez backer and to be honest I'm not. I am just trying to be fair to him when I see some stuff said that is a bit OTT.

He's improved because of the huge amount of game time he's had, which is to Martinez' credit. But the complete lack of defensive coaching really shows in my opinion. Fantastic on the ball. Atrocious off it. I think he will flourish under a better manager.

What was the season is which we had no manager and no club sponsor by July? I might be getting muddled in middle age but I remember listening to BBC R5L at home and they were doing a live interview with Paul Gregg outside GP and he was annoyed to say the least. I'm not posting this as a justification of his tenure on the board, no way, but what I can clearly remember from that day is a comment he made in the same interview. Roughly, it was "we have to set targets at Everton and hold people accountable to them".

What I'm getting now is drift, indecisiveness, and above all, a lack of leadership. It is this scenario where on the one hand Martinez is all but sacked and still the drama plays out. Why do have have to take an age to do everything? From a sacking to signing players. There always seems to be a hitch, a difficulty of some sort.

What I've seen on the pitch this season is a disgrace. @catcherintherye you make an excellent point about Stones, there has been a complete lack of discipline and maintenance of standards at the club overseen by Martinez. The performances let alone the results reek of a group of sulky teenagers rebelling against an out-of-touch, head-in-the clouds manager.

He's improved because of the huge amount of game time he's had, which is to Martinez' credit. But the complete lack of defensive coaching really shows in my opinion. Fantastic on the ball. Atrocious off it. I think he will flourish under a better manager.

Honestly i think its just his way. I get he may not be asked to track back as much as he should be he wont put a tackle in when the ball is 2 yards away.

Cheer up lids, we can all watch in awe tonight as the neighbours march on to the EL final and qualify for the CL if they win it, all because they had the balls and savvy to bin the other flannel laden imposter they had in charge.

Or maybe its because their fans are always behind their team?

To cultish levels but still... there is a reason why they keep scraping results out in epic encounters with last minute goals and why we always seem to falter at the final hurdle. There is a winning culture at Liverpool. There hasnt been a winning culture at Everton for years.

Honestly i think its just his way. I get he may not be asked to track back as much as he should be he wont put a tackle in when the ball is 2 yards away.

I don't think it is his way, remember Norwich away when he got his first goal? He was flying into tackles everywhere.

But even if it his way, a good manager should demand that effort from him. Ours doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back