Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely they know that the atmosphere is gonna be toxic on Saturday, announcing it now would give everyone a lift and make the end of the season a bit less meh

On the team’s current form…

“I always encourage huge expectations and I think, as a football club, we need to drive ourselves to get into the top four positions.

“Over the last three years, we’ve put together and developed a team that can perform against anyone.

From the press conference. This is just complete bullshit again from Roberto, we are languishing in the bottom half of the table and potentially slip down lower after the weekend. Where does he think we are driving ourselves towards the Top 4 positions ? and we havent won for 7 games how does that show we can perform against anyone, we clearly cant. If this was a performance hearing at work I would be on my arse.

He can bullshit for Europe this guy, he doesn't answer any questions rather he spins out a load of dross that contradict reality again. If I was a journo why even bother showing up if he does not even address your question directly.

He looked quite smug and comfortable up there which is alarming seeing I was hoping he would have got the boot today

Depressing

Dear Mosh

You're doing the right thing. Give Roberto your cheque book.

Regards.

GOT.

maxresdefault.webp

I agree with this but....(there's always a but isn't there)....we should remember that MARTINEZ has, numerous times, 'encouraged' young players to make mistakes (I'll dig out the ints). He has said it in relation to ROSS and I'm POSITIVE he's said it RE STONES. And this is an issue for me...it somehow takes the 'learning from mistakes' ethic a tad to far as instead of learning they seem to have been encouraged to continue doing the same (sound familiar?). And I think it's backfired quite dramatically in that we now see a kid zapped of confidence because he's played to instruction so often. In short- a defender who's lost the knack of plain old defending...

During his WIGAN tenure RM made varying comments RE that he didn't feel 'young' players are ready 'til they're 22-23, that they have to earn their place and learn their craft. He suggested this should only differ in exceptional cases. So, if he applies that here - and he tends NOT to stray too far from type - then he'll have instilled in them the belief that they ARE exceptional. He's a believable guy and this is a good thing, within reason. So now we have a player who's hugely naturally gifted yet, at this moment, doesn't quite seem sure as to what sort of player he actually is. He was a staunch, confident, dependable defender....now he's so prone to mistake and conditioned to faffing that, frankly, he's a liability...

He's an odd one, the BOB is.

I agree with you 100% mate and you make a fantastic point. I like the fact Martinez encourages players to try things and not fear making mistakes. And we can't have our cake and eat it, Barkley and Stones have developed as a result of this as opposed to the more stringent Moyes response. That is why I haven't criticised him for Barkley's mistakes, as I do think these things happen.

However I do think there is a difference between a mistake and what I would define as d*cking around which is what Stones was doing. If you are trying to play the right way and it doesn't come off that's ok. However several Cruyff turns in your own box doesn't fall into that category for me, it is gross ineptitude. When you factor in his body language at that point, it was of a lad who was going to do whatever he wanted. It isn't the mistake that needed corrected but for me the attitude displayed by Stones that he would do whatever he wanted irrespective of the team. (And that wasn't actually a "mistake" as he got away with it).

If I was managing him I'd have said to him, that we are massively struggling for form, conceded 4 & 3 goals in our previous home games, plummeting down the table against a very good team who are outplaying us, we do not need that level of risk being taken. Defend like you did the previous two seasons and when we start keeping clean sheets worry about taking the ball out.

As for the other examples I give I don't think any of them fit into the "mistake" category. Lukaku technically made lots of "mistakes" last Saturday. I wouldn't criticise him at all. He was at it in that game, bullied the centre halves and looked the real deal. he did everything right but it just didn't quite happen for him. My criticism is the games in the weeks before he has looked like he couldn't care less. Anyone can miss a penalty, but choosing not to give anything close to your best for games before is not acceptable.

Barkley and Deulofeu make mistakes too. This isn't a problem. My issue with both is their lack of fitness. This again isn't about mistakes. Mirallas should have been punted months ago. As for the "at their best aged 22/23" I agree in principle but in reality aside from Barry our senior players are letting him down too. Howard in particular.

I suppose the point is, there is a difference between a split second mistake and poor choices.

It's clear behind the scenes that he's been given another year.
Let's get behind him.
COYB
Clear as mud mate. Only thing that is any way clear is that a large majority of fans don't want him, and the board has been silent as to his future at the club despite his underperformance over the last two years.

I can see no spence in this course of action. Or should I say inaction. Even if we judge Martinez on the guff he talks he should he sacked.
Judge him on three years ; for two of those years we have been very poor, we have won nothing, we are going backwards and our next backwards step relegates us. So judged over three years he deserves sacking.
Judge him on our results against top teams, O was being less hard on him, judge him on any results and he should be sacked. Look at the squad, Lukaku wants away, Baines and Coleman have gone backwards, he won't play Mirellas or Del. We depend on a 38 year old. And unless he hasn't noticed our squad can't defend.
So on his own criteria he should be sacked. If he was honest he would sack himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back