Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't get is if he is leaving at the end of the season then why don't they come out and say to stop the protests and abuse he is going to keep receiving till then. Or sack him now as it's not like we have anything to play for. They can't be liking the fact he is getting all this in the public domain. Makes me think they might give him another season. I hope not though!

Maybe something in his contract where it would be less expensive for the club to sack him at the end of the season,or as has been previously suggested they may not intend to sack him at all.

Maybe something in his contract where it would be less expensive for the club to sack him at the end of the season,or as has been previously suggested they may not intend to sack him at all.

If I was an ITK, I would suggest that he's already been notified that he is leaving after Norwich vis his comment:

"It's a privilege and an honour to manage Everton"

All that is missing is switching "is" for "was"

Echo reporting he's basically gone. That would have came straight from the club.

He's gone. Don't stress

The echo has essentially devalued itself in recent times, it is like those glossy weekly women's magazine where the substance of the story doesn't necessarily match the headline,it's cheap journalism to sucker you in,I will be delighted if he does go but I've just got a feeling we will be stuck with him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...y-fantastic-foxes-premier-league-elite-lesson

Part of the article brings up Everton....

"while Everton’s position in the bottom half of the table is so chronic nobody should be too surprised if it brings down the guillotine on Roberto Martínez’s time as manager.

Everton are 32 points behind Leicester and if the charge against Martínez is that he is too wedded to one way of thinking, too lax when it comes to defensive structure and too damn stubborn to do anything about it, it is certainly not eased by a story I heard in the last few days about his time managing Wigan Athletic.

You might remember their 9-1 defeat against Tottenham at White Hart Lane in November 2009, a record defeat for Wigan, a few months after Martínez was put in charge. What is not so widely known is that in the dressing room afterwards Martínez told his players – whose mood, it is fair to say, was collective bewilderment – to continue playing exactly the same way. Wigan duly conceded 79, 61, 62 and 73 goals in his four seasons while Everton are far too vulnerable in the same way. Martínez undoubtedly has qualities but, equally, it is a damning indictment that Leicester’s seven clean sheets from their past nine league games is as many as Everton have managed since September.

Martínez is singled out because of the widespread belief this is Everton’s finest squad for many years but, in fairness, they are far from the only club who could learn a thing or two from the way Ranieri has set up his team."

The bit about Wigan's 9-1 hammering, wow, just wow.

on-topic: Martinez won't be remembered too incredibly in the grand old scheme of things.

Over Mike Walker, over Walter...below Harvey and Moyes.

I think there will always be that additional slight niggle around what could have been, after the initial promise raised our expectations and the general feeling about the quality in the squad he has had underachieving all compounded further if/when Leicester win the league.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...y-fantastic-foxes-premier-league-elite-lesson

"while Everton’s position in the bottom half of the table is so chronic nobody should be too surprised if it brings down the guillotine on Roberto Martínez’s time as manager.

Everton are 32 points behind Leicester and if the charge against Martínez is that he is too wedded to one way of thinking, too lax when it comes to defensive structure and too damn stubborn to do anything about it, it is certainly not eased by a story I heard in the last few days about his time managing Wigan Athletic.

You might remember their 9-1 defeat against Tottenham at White Hart Lane in November 2009, a record defeat for Wigan, a few months after Martínez was put in charge. What is not so widely known is that in the dressing room afterwards Martínez told his players – whose mood, it is fair to say, was collective bewilderment – to continue playing exactly the same way. Wigan duly conceded 79, 61, 62 and 73 goals in his four seasons while Everton are far too vulnerable in the same way. Martínez undoubtedly has qualities but, equally, it is a damning indictment that Leicester’s seven clean sheets from their past nine league games is as many as Everton have managed since September.

Martínez is singled out because of the widespread belief this is Everton’s finest squad for many years but, in fairness, they are far from the only club who could learn a thing or two from the way Ranieri has set up his team."

Time to go, Bobby...this isn't 5-a-side with yer mates.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Incredible that Kenwright thinks this kind of attitude and thinking is anywhere near professional enough for a manager of Everton.

Have a look at the goals from that game on youtube its like groundhog day

cant be arsed finding it, but im 100% certain he has said "tomorrow the news will be released" no point in arguing about that. Still, got nothing against the esk and i appreciate his posts. But in this case i think he knows as much as the average evertonian. All of us can say" he will get fired, i just dont know when". Chances are big he will. I think he just tries to give us hope.

Just so you know mate, if it's my opinion I say it's my opinion. If it's information received from any of a number of sources then I pass on what I can.

I have said consistently since last Saturday I have no definitive idea of the timing of Martinez' departure. Yesterday at the match I was told it was definitely end of season, then 5 minutes later it could be Monday.

I've got to the point where it is actually not worth asking, it will happen when it happens. The main piece of news is that we will be recruiting a very high profile and quality manager way beyond the expectations of what the media think we can attract, and that person will have very significant sums to deal in the summer months.

Forget this season, it's been a complete write off. Just look forward to a very different future at Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back