Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Roberto's mess"?????

Hold on, he's under fire because he's " underperforming" with the best squad since the 80s.

No chance mate. Whoever comes in gets judged straight away first season. The material is here and he'll have a massive transfer war chest. There is no easing in season. If he doesn't get CL first season then he's under the cosh. If the second season he's off the pace then he goes by Christmas. That's the new yardstick.

You don't get rid of a manager in the fashion we see now without giving their successor a tougher assignment than the one just sacked.

...Dave, didn't you agree some time ago that he should be offed if things continued in the same way?

He will by you, he won't by most reasonable Evertonians

You stamping your feet and moaning about the terrible treatment little Bobby is getting isn't going to change anything
You think so? I thought that after RMs first season, but it took barely 6 months to elapse from Bobby brown Shoes to Catalan Clown.

Do not kid yourself. If the next feller is getting more cash then he'll be expected to get results far more quickly than even Martinez was expected to.

Oh, God he's claiming replacing Big Vic was a significant challenge to be overcome in a guardian interview. Spare me.

"Martínez argued he has the potential to transform and not by reinventing traditional top-eight finishers as lower-half teams. “I arrived in 2013 in a very important moment because we lost probably the most important goalscoring threat in the team with [Marouane] Fellaini and [Victor] Anichebe,” he said"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/01/everton-roberto-martinez-bournemouth-premier-league

Oh, God he's claiming replacing Big Vic was a significant challenge to be overcome in a guardian interview. Spare me.

"Martínez argued he has the potential to transform and not by reinventing traditional top-eight finishers as lower-half teams. “I arrived in 2013 in a very important moment because we lost probably the most important goalscoring threat in the team with [Marouane] Fellaini and [Victor] Anichebe,” he said"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/01/everton-roberto-martinez-bournemouth-premier-league

...mate, you're surprised he's said this?

May I remind you...

'TITUS BRAMBLE for ENGLAND'

Moyes had our worst points total full stop. He got 11 seasons.

No consistency.

Moyes had a small net spent throughout his regime. He turned this club to a top 6 PL club. Look at our league positions. This is fact. And that's consistency in the league.

You think so? I thought that after RMs first season, but it took barely 6 months to elapse from Bobby brown Shoes to Catalan Clown.

Do not kid yourself. If the next feller is getting more cash then he'll be expected to get results far more quickly than even Martinez was expected to.

I do think so Dave - Unfortunately I think Martinez has lowered expectations to the point where any form of progression would be deemed a success

We also have zero idea whether or not Moshiri will splash the cash in any meaningful way this summer - It's just another assumption made by the masses, the same as Martinez being a 'dead man walking' - We just don't know what's happening

This season?! Your having a laugh mate. We played better in the first half of this season than I've seen from any everton team since the 80s.

It's nonsense to say we didn't.

It's all about opinions Dave, and up until 6 weeks ago I would have defended Martinez, but the man has lost the plot, or is just too stubborn, for him to continue saying that the way we play tactically is the right way to continue playing 'because it's working' is ridiculous, when it's as clear as the nose on Martinez's face that it's failing miserably.

Also, for him to say that putting too much emphasis on the defensive side of our game in training is a waste of time, is just plain daft, considering we're a shambles at the back.

Fitness has also become an issue for me, I mentioned it earlier, but do we actually do any fitness training? I've never seen a team of players look so unfit, Barkley looks like he's put about 3 stone on, should never have been allowed to happen.

I won't get into a tit for tat with you Dave because I've got total respect for you as blue, and up until not so long ago agreed with nearly everything you said, but at the end of the day though I want the best for Everton, and IMO, and it's actually sad to say it because I would have loved for it to have worked under Martinez, but for the best of the club, he has to go.

No, he is not better than Moyes. Moyes got us 4th. 72 points trophy got 5th. It is still 5th.

Martinez is on course on getting two bottom half finish in a row. He is out of his depth. He just needs to go.

Mate I can't believe you think the past two seasons have happened, they obviously haven't. 72 points two years ago and then no football has been played since. Well except in the cups, obviously. Sorry

I do think so Dave - Unfortunately I think Martinez has lowered expectations to the point where any form of progression would be deemed a success

We also have zero idea whether or not Moshiri will splash the cash in any meaningful way this summer - It's just another assumption made by the masses, the same as Martinez being a 'dead man walking' - We just don't know what's happening
I disagree. The floodgates have opened now. There's no way anything but real success is going to be tolerated with cash spent. That means any new manager has to get a CL in their first two seasons or win a cup.

Things have changed. People might say after one season in the top half again that it's ok, but from that season on any everton manager is on borrowed time.

Mate I can't believe you think the past two seasons have happened, they obviously haven't. 72 points two years ago and then no football has been played since. Well except in the cups, obviously. Sorry

It looks as if the 72 points trophy was like winning the league for the pro posters. They use that as a shield to cover up the dreadful records of Martinez since Aug 2014.

Got our best ever PL points total - a total only consistently surpassed in the PL by greats such as Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho.

I'd call that being very much "fit" to manage Everton. And I tell you what, if / when Martinez is replaced - money or not - they will struggle badly to get 21 wins in one season and 72 points.

They'll be judged on that for me. And if they fall short I'll be deeming them "unfit" to be Everton manager.

By the same logic we should judge RM on Moyes best finish which is 4th with a vastly inferior first 11 and squad.

Next season or the season after at the latest.

No CL spot and they have failed utterly.

Sorry, the bar just got raised to those levels and I for one won't take a man coming in and spending a billionaires money and failing to secure CL football.

Top four or get out. Simple as that.
If that is the bar you've set, do you agree Martinez should go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back