Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't believe you mate. Not after hearing of the record breaking 72 point season, then us being the last English team to be knocked out of Europe, then the two semi finals!! That constant string of ludicrous achievement will blow their minds.

You've missed the Paul Merson and Danny Murphy "entertainers" award of your list

Think you should drop it mate - the point is we discourage posters from making comments, even generalised comments, about other posters. It's bad forum etiquette and reduces the quality of debate.
I appreciate that mate & there is nothing to drop as far as I'm concerned...I've said all I needed to say:)

Ok.

Lovely bloke. Great ambassador for Everton. Yep
Principled. Stubborn
Capable of great football, at times. Nowhere near consistently enough
Can attract decent players. That's not the really a pro IMO
Served up some of the best football in years. Not consistently enough, if you were marking football out of 10 I'd take a slightly lesser score to see it in a more consistent basis (if that makes sense)
The EL was hugely enjoyable. About 3 games
Not afraid to play against anybody. So he/we shouldn't be
Seemed to get us He did/does 100%
Work at FF apparently largely down to him, (though I aint 100% there). Unsure, unless it's reference to the sleeping accommodation which was his idea
When he goes, I will wish him well in his future work. Yep, but the championship is a tough league, one where he's already failed

Just my thoughts on his pro's For what it's worth.

Marsh was only their for (i think) 3 years though mate, and that was with a club icon at the helm - who rightly or wrongly still had a huge amount of credit in the bank and Johnson was the reason we are not regarded as one of the 'sky4,5,6 or whatever the number is now) and are regarded as making up the numbers in this league - woefully mismanaged us at the beggining of this 'new era' when at that time we where ne of the biggest clubs in every way in England, either of those did their job then Kenwright and the last 20+ years would have been so much different.

IF as i hope we do, we put into place a proper structure throughout the club and all employees have their targets and what is expected of them raised, then yes any new manager should have goals which don't include two 40 odd point seasons back to back and performing below where the spending says we should do for consecitve years.

End of the day mate, we both want the same thing, a succesful Everton, just right now we are coming at it from differing viewpoints, and not soundign patronixing i hope but i think you are just holding onto too much baggage in terms of Kenwright and what we became under him, don't let him define what you expect of Everton mate, let the likes of Catterick and Kendall and Moores be the one who show you what Everton should always aspire towards and demand from it's managers
Well yes, and that goes for Moshiri too by the way. I'm not impressed with him yet and why should I be? He's done nothing. If he pours cash in and gets results then he gets credit. That's the way it works. If he doesn't (or if he does and continues to accept failure on the pitch) then he should be chased back from whence he came.

I've got no hangover from Kenwright mate. I have higher standards than him and so did/does Martinez. Let's not conflate the two men and their outlooks. In my view Martinez demonstrated what he could do with a meagre number of quality players in that first season. Could he have transformed moshiris cash into a CL spot? We'll never know. But I respect the feller fully and have no time for anyone putting the boot into him....not that I'm saying you are.

Well yes, and that goes for Moshiri too by the way. I'm not impressed with him yet and why should I be? He's done nothing. If he pours cash in and gets results then he gets credit. That's the way it works. If he doesn't (or if he does and continues to accept failure on the pitch) then he should be chased back from whence he came.

I've got no hangover from Kenwright mate. I have higher standards than him and so did/does Martinez. Let's not conflate the two men and their outlooks. In my view Martinez demonstrated what he could do with a meagre number of quality players in that first season. Could he have transformed moshiris cash into a CL spot? We'll never know. But I respect the feller fully and have no time for anyone putting the boot into him....not that I'm saying you are.

You put the boot into Moyes - frequently - and he achieved more consistently than Martinez with a much lower net spend.

He's had investment and he's had time; he's a failure. That's not putting the boot in, that's just calling it as it is.

I think Roberto is a nice guy and also stubborn. That's where the problems are with him for me. Too nice to manage and the players know it. Too stubborn to admit the way he wants to play the game is not working.

If you want to talk about him and the 72 points season then you have to analyse his full tenure as a premiership manager. 4 seasons at Wigan and 3 here. The one thing that stands out in all that time is that he can't get it right defensively. The only season he got it right was his first here. And even his biggest fans here will have to admit that there was a Moyes factor in that. Playing with 2 defensive midfielders and shipping goals like we are is not a good sign and I cannot see it improving.

As for the cups the first time we met genuine top teams was in the semi finals of both domestic cups and we were knocked out. I don't count Chelsea as a top team as they are like us in a mess this year.

Can he turn it around if he gets another season. I highly doubt it. I think he is very single minded on how he wants to play the game. I think you only have to look at the RS to see how it will turn out if he is here next season. They should have chopped Rodgers last summer.

Who should replace him? Very debatable as there is flaws around all candidates. We need someone that can come in and attract big names. But will give youth who are ready the chance.

JdZbDDF.gif

This thread has become utterly toxic with gloating over their correct predictions...of Everton's failure.

He's not good enough, our defense has fallen to shambles in his time here, something that cannot be purely chalked up to age. We show serious naiveté regarding game management, and he's clearly lost the players.

That's a shame. It's too bad. It's kind of gross reading this thread though with the point scoring

Just my thoughts on his pro's For what it's worth.[/QU

Just making the not invalid point that he has plus points. I want him gone, but will not join the Spanish Inquisition and pretend every thing he has done has been an unmitigated disaster.

If it floats your boat, fine.

I have a long-standing view that football is all about short-termism and a project like the current manager had when he joined the Club can't be easily done in 3 seasons. You may quote Ranieri, and that's fine, but will he be as successful next season? I don't think so, so what will they do, sack him for regression?
I also think certain players have done the Club a huge disservice by playing for themselves, not holding their hands up when they've made schoolboy errors, spoken to the press when they should keep stuff in house and generally thinking they're much better than they are. All this crap about wanting to play in the CL is nonsense....it's about bigger salaries nothing more. If Everton offered Lukaku twice as much per month as a CL side I know where he'd be playing. And besides, most Clubs have zero chance of winning the CL and those that qualifying generally get 4-5 games before being dumped by the big guns.
I accept Martinez is on really thin ice, and that forum-wise getting rid is a popular choice. I was ridiculed a couple of weeks ago for saying the forum view wasn't neccesarily representative of the match day crowd view, and Saturdays protest confirmed that for me. Around 100 from a crowd of 36,000 to 37,000. I understand some want to protest, and it was done in the proper way, with the exception of idiots giving the manager grief in the car park. But the numbers were less than a single percentage point. I'm not into stats but that's hardly a sway of opinion.
In terms of when it's right for the manager to go I'd say 10-12 games into the new season when he knows what he has squad-wise and if we're not picking up points at home and sat below 6th or 7th.
Not a popular view on here but an honest one nonetheless. Be nice to have an opinion without the usual suspects attacking it.....it is what it is, I respect the 'out' vote if that's what you want, so let's see a little bit of reciprocation.
Everton as a Club have always stood shoulders above everyone else where class and dignity are concerned - Saturday's tribute to the families of the 96 epitomised it, and I think RM has that in bundles and has put together a really promising squad - so, I'd like to see him given some time.

I believe that you're genuine in your viewpoint Tony, and for that I respect it fully, despite not agreeing with you. I do agree however that managers need time, but 3 seasons is enough and the trend is only a downward one. A poor first season is fine, a sketchy second with promising signs is ok too, but it's got worse every year in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back