Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does.

But that does not mean that the man should be dismissed as some sort of idiot.

He has a serious flaw, and he shows no sign of sorting that out.

He also has qualities that should be acknowledged.

I really like a lot about the man but the longer he stays here the more I almost hate him and it will get worse longer he stays.

If he goes soon and with good grace my memories of him won't be too bad. He was a man who loved everton and tried his best. He's just unfortunately out of his depth in his profession and is bluffing the fans.

He gave me my favourite footballing moment ever when I got to watch the sheer apoplectic rage on the faces of my manc housemates when we won at OT. But the longer he's stayed these memories have just got tarnished and the realisation that it was all just a big false dawn has set it.

Moyes had zero to do with his first season here. He had that defence playing in a different way than they ever had before and they set defensive records for the season. End of story on that one.

Whatever happened in seasons two or three were as much to do with failing form of defenders and a GK well past his best as much as any problem RM brought to the situation.
OK, lets say you're right about that, is it not up to Martinez to drop his out of form keeper and sign defenders of a higher quality than the likes of Alcaraz? And if you think the defensive display in his first season was all down to Martinez, it's even more spectacular that he could let it all unravel so badly.

What is a county road ninja??
ninja-surprise.gif

Not a particularly positive outlook is it? You seem intent on having a pop at a new manager and looking forward to it because of the criticism you've received over your views on Martinez.
No, we're in a new era mate. Everyone now, given the investment to come, needs to prove themselves both more effectively in terms of results and more quickly. If that isn't the case then what's the point in getting a new owner and a new manager?

Just a few positives for Bobby,
he's brought along Stones Barkley Robles Lukaku Galloway Delofeu Funes Mori and a few others but he also got lumbered with Howard Osman Hibbert and Gibson on long term contracts, whoever comes in won't have to deal with those players.

Two things:

I don't want Kenwright at all. I want moshiris money and like it or not currently that comes with Kenwright attached.

Secondly, the 72 points issue is not a moot beating of breast on behalf of the current manager. That total is almost certainly going to have to be replicated or even surpassed in order to get a CL spot in seasons to come. That's why it's important to point out that if any new manager falls short of a much less well funded manger's total (which is what the situation will be) then there's only one outcome: they have to go.

Any new boss will have support from me for the first season in the sense that I'd never call for his head after 12 months unless they were an utter disaster. But at the end of that first season I'd see fit to make a comment on them as to whether they were shaping up as a manager who can bring success....and they BETTER be showing signs of achieving that success by the middle of season two or all bets are off and they'll face calls for their head on a plate. And rightly so given the experiences of Martinez who hasn't had the Moshiri millions. That's why he reached three season in the job...but that won't apply in the future.

In a nutshell: the "top manager" coming in has to show they can get a CL spot or very closely miss out in his first season or show convincing evidence that he can secure that CL spot in his second season or he can get out of the club.

THAT ^^^ is where we stand as a club now. Basically we need to now judge our well funded managers on the same timescale and basis as the other elite financially funded clubs.
A good well reasoned post Dave, fully agree with you there.

I supported Moyes for 7 seasons. Please don't place me in the kneejerkers category.

He had a net spend that was very much competitive with those in the PL up until the fire sale of 2009 by the way, so let's not having any nonsense about Moyes having less than Martinez proportionate to the PL as a whole.

A failure? Great. Well that suits me fine that definition because it'll back me up when I use that same definition about our future manager if he fails to get a CL spot quickly and/or fails to get anywhere near 72 points.

I can't wait.
I certainly agree with you that the Moyes years eventually lowered expectations at our club and he was well past his "sell by date' when he left. It was a gradual dumbing down of expectations and fans like me (and presumably yourself too) felt that NSNO had been just binned and for younger fans perhaps we were glad to be in the top half of the prem with the possibility of a trophy along the way..in no small way contributed to by the ineptitude of our board. I can honestly say that I never wanted RM in the first place and the last 2 seasons have been absolutely awful in contrast to some great times at our club. As you say the bar has been raised, and rightly so but our new manager should be give at least the same amount of time that RM had to get us further than he has. I think both of us want the same for EFC - respect

And then he'll unleash his nice billions on an excellent, likely London based PR firm to help drum up that support in the media for him.

I'm predicting a well-drafted media brief with words like "visionary", "decisive" and "no tolerance for the failures of El Fraudo"
Perhaps, but he won't have the same sort of cache amongst the support as a local man.

As said, he makes mistakes and antagonises the fan base he'll pay for it. It's not just a manager he employs who'll be under scrutiny, he will be too.

OK, lets say you're right about that, is it not up to Martinez to drop his out of form keeper and sign defenders of a higher quality than the likes of Alcaraz? And if you think the defensive display in his first season was all down to Martinez, it's even more spectacular that he could let it all unravel so badly.
Of course he made mistakes. I said myself at the beginning of this season he'll end up losing his job if he doesn't bin Howard.

You can admit that though and still defend his record in his first season without recourse to some notion Moyes achieved it.

I supported Moyes for 7 seasons. Please don't place me in the kneejerkers category.

He had a net spend that was very much competitive with those in the PL up until the fire sale of 2009 by the way, so let's not having any nonsense about Moyes having less than Martinez proportionate to the PL as a whole.

A failure? Great. Well that suits me fine that definition because it'll back me up when I use that same definition about our future manager if he fails to get a CL spot quickly and/or fails to get anywhere near 72 points.

I can't wait.
Hi Dave, what's your opinion on the sale of Everton with regards to the ruthless businessman Philip Green and his dealings!? Coincidence or conspiracy.

@bizzaro

No, we're in a new era mate. Everyone now, given the investment to come, needs to prove themselves both more effectively in terms of results and more quickly. If that isn't the case then what's the point in getting a new owner and a new manager?
That's not how it comes across, I mean "I can't wait", sounds like you're going to be relishing it. Think you've let yourself down with that comment.

That's not how it comes across, I mean "I can't wait", sounds like you're going to be relishing it. Think you've let yourself down with that comment.
I can't wait in the sense that if it happened I'd give the medicine back to those baldly and brazenly refusing to give Martinez any credit.

Good luck to the new manager. They get my support for the first season. But they better achieve by season two or they are out.

I can't wait in the sense that if it happened I'd give the medicine back to those baldly and brazenly refusing to give Martinez any credit.

Good luck to the new manager. They get my support for the first season. But they better achieve by season two or they are out.

What if the new manager makes us gradually better instead of gradually worse mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back