Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does.

But that does not mean that the man should be dismissed as some sort of idiot.

He has a serious flaw, and he shows no sign of sorting that out.

He also has qualities that should be acknowledged.
I'm way past the point of caring about him or what he or his tenure is perceived as, I just want him out of Everton Football Club.

I can't wait in the sense that if it happened I'd give the medicine back to those baldly and brazenly refusing to give Martinez any credit.

Good luck to the new manager. They get my support for the first season. But they better achieve by season two or they are out.
I think the standard we should hold all mangers (including Martinez) to is that, unless they're completely awful, they get one bad season, and if they repeat that again then they need to be let go.

I'm a bit more of a realised I hope he has ambitions of relative success. I don't give two flying ostriches what he says in the press conference I don't care if he says we be doing well to stay in the prem as long as he finishes in top 3.

How can any one say Martinez had champions league ambitions just cause he says it. How can anyone says 'he gets Everton' just cause he tells us a few things we want to hear when we were flying. Moyes got flack for having no ambition cause of the things he said. His actions proved more ambitious than what he let on.

I going of on a tangent but I'm just saying ambition can only be measured by actions.

I don't care what he says in press conferences either. My point is, I want a manager who actually aims to win the league every season, to hammer that in to his players and make sure every one at Everton becomes to expect success, otherwise what is the point? If you aim for fourth and 'good cup runs', we'll stay at the same mediocre level we've been at since the late 80s. The aim should be to dominate, because that is the point of top level professional sport.

I certainly agree with you that the Moyes years eventually lowered expectations at our club and he was well past his "sell by date' when he left. It was a gradual dumbing down of expectations and fans like me (and presumably yourself too) felt that NSNO had been just binned and for younger fans perhaps we were glad to be in the top half of the prem with the possibility of a trophy along the way..in no small way contributed to by the ineptitude of our board. I can honestly say that I never wanted RM in the first place and the last 2 seasons have been absolutely awful in contrast to some great times at our club. As you say the bar has been raised, and rightly so but our new manager should be give at least the same amount of time that RM had to get us further than he has. I think both of us want the same for EFC - respect
He can't be given three seasons. No chance. Not if he's not getting success as measured by a trophy or top four.if he can't do that in two seasons they have to be shown the door. Would Arsenal or United or Chelsea or Spurs or Liverpool or other well funded clubs wear three seasons without that? No. And we'll be in that financial bracket shortly.

As said, the rules have changed.

Two things:

I don't want Kenwright at all. I want moshiris money and like it or not currently that comes with Kenwright attached.

Secondly, the 72 points issue is not a moot beating of breast on behalf of the current manager. That total is almost certainly going to have to be replicated or even surpassed in order to get a CL spot in seasons to come. That's why it's important to point out that if any new manager falls short of a much less well funded manger's total (which is what the situation will be) then there's only one outcome: they have to go.

Any new boss will have support from me for the first season in the sense that I'd never call for his head after 12 months unless they were an utter disaster. But at the end of that first season I'd see fit to make a comment on them as to whether they were shaping up as a manager who can bring success....and they BETTER be showing signs of achieving that success by the middle of season two or all bets are off and they'll face calls for their head on a plate. And rightly so given the experiences of Martinez who hasn't had the Moshiri millions. That's why he reached three season in the job...but that won't apply in the future.

In a nutshell: the "top manager" coming in has to show they can get a CL spot or very closely miss out in his first season or show convincing evidence that he can secure that CL spot in his second season or he can get out of the club.

THAT ^^^ is where we stand as a club now. Basically we need to now judge our well funded managers on the same timescale and basis as the other elite financially funded clubs.

Tbh, if our new manager achieves top half he has improved us, any manager that does that is good with me. If you join the club and leave it stronger then you have done well..
Sadly Martinez has not done that, nor does it look like he ever will. He has us bottom half.. again, fans becoming pleasantly surprised by getting a draw against some mid table team at Goodison.
We have fallen far under Martinez, despite some of our play earlier in the year being very sexy, that is becoming rarer, the defensive frailties however are still as persistent as ever.

If the new guy finishes top half.. its progress.. That's the actual reality of how far Martinez has taken us backwards.

I supported Moyes for 7 seasons. Please don't place me in the kneejerkers category.

He had a net spend that was very much competitive with those in the PL up until the fire sale of 2009 by the way, so let's not having any nonsense about Moyes having less than Martinez proportionate to the PL as a whole.

A failure? Great. Well that suits me fine that definition because it'll back me up when I use that same definition about our future manager if he fails to get a CL spot quickly and/or fails to get anywhere near 72 points.

I can't wait.
Dave, I think you're taking the abuse Bobby is getting as a little bit too personal. I'm pretty sure nobody on this forum knows him personally, it's not the man, I'm sure he's very nice, its just not worked and people are simply voicing their concerns.
On your last point, you seem to think you will be the only one attacking the new manager if he fails to bring us champions league football or success, but guess what, you will be joined by the vast majority of supporters (over 90% the last time I checked) who like you will say the new man is not good enough if he doesn't deliver the goods. It's really really not personal, everyone just wants what's best for Everton.

The defensive regressions evidenced the past two seasons suggest the first season's defence capability was very much a legacy, a residual, of Moyes' set-up. I think we can all agree on that.
Presently, we are an absolute shambles at the back and I await with anticipation the appointment of a manager capable of repairing the damage, (the 'wigertonisation'), inflicted on our club by the bloke who got his last club relegated.
Having said that, I expect the appointment to be of a calibre much higher than Moyes.
I remain confident it will be.
Good luck for the future Roberto; please shut the door on your way out.

I can't wait in the sense that if it happened I'd give the medicine back to those baldly and brazenly refusing to give Martinez any credit.

Good luck to the new manager. They get my support for the first season. But they better achieve by season two or they are out.
I know you've taken lots of stick about your stance on Martinez, I'm just not sure you're taking that stance (on the new manager) for the right reasons. You seem more concerned with getting your own back. As my old man would say, rise above it, your better than that.

Tbh, if our new manager achieves top half he has improved us, any manager that does that is good with me. If you join the club and leave it stronger then you have done well..
Sadly Martinez has not done that, nor does it look like he ever will. He has us bottom half.. again, fans becoming pleasantly surprised by getting a draw against some mid table team at Goodison.
We have fallen far under Martinez, despite some of our play earlier in the year being very sexy, that is becoming rarer, the defensive frailties however are still as persistent as ever.

If the new guy finishes top half.. its progress.. That's the actual reality of how far Martinez has taken us backwards.
The level of likely funding cuts right across that mate. Top half enough after spending the cash coming the new managers way? No chance. Not good enough and they can leave if they don't get success.

I wonder if Dave's lovely net spend theory will apply under the new manager when we sell Lukaku for £50m and Stones for £40m

image.webp

I don't get this. Martinez had done great in his first term but failed miserably for his second and third season. This is regression and you still back him.

It seems you won't give a longer time to the new manager under similar circumstances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back