Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus. Do you know the meaning of the word 'unremarkable'?

I'll spell it out. Unremarkable = not remarkable. Not out of the ordinary. A serious title challenge or winning the title would be remarkable, not finishing 5th FFS!

You're the one that said 'poor', not me.

Finishing 5th is unremarkable for an established Premier League club with our history, and a recent history of finishing between 4th and 7th.

Martinez finishing 5th in his first season was reasonably impressive, nothing more. Your instance that 72 points is some incredible feat is embarrassing.
4th and 7th isn't 5th though is it. How many times have we finished 4th and 5th is the measure of what is or isn't remarkable. How many times has that happened since we won the league in 87? Three or four times in 30 years. Yes I'd say us getting 5th three seasons ago was REMARKABLE.

Hilarious. It won't be too funny though when the next manager gets nowhere near 70 points having been backed tens of millions though will it?

Over to the new manager. Get near Mariinez's total and a CL spot or theres the door.

Good luck to him. He'll need it.

Dead funny that even Martinez can't get near Martinez's magic 72 anymore isn't it mate

Hi Davek,

I'm sure you've probably answered this question before but what would it take in your eyes for Martinez to be deservingly let go?
if martinez was hit by a bus he wouldnt
Whatever the season 72 points is blistering for us.

I sincerely doubt well get near it again anytime soon. But that will be the new managers task and he'll stand and fall on how close he can get near to it.
have you been asleep for two years??? 72points was two years ago nearly 76 league games ago. Seriously look at the league tables the decline is there for all to see.

4th and 7th isn't 5th though is it. How many times have we finished 4th and 5th is the measure of what is or isn't remarkable. How many times has that happened since we won the league in 87? Three or four times in 30 years. Yes I'd say us getting 5th three seasons ago was REMARKABLE.

Well that just demonstrates your low standards. No one else in the Premier League will look at the 2013/14 table, see Everton in 5th and say "Wow, Everton in 5th! Remarkable!"

But you say that finishing 5th is the same as finishing 15th? So then us being 11th last year is remarkable as well?

Unlike some of the young hothead posters herein,( those demanding of any new manager, an immediate CL spot), I take a more considered , level-headed approach. If I can see significant improvement, year on year, then I'm willing to be patient.
I wish some of our younger members, who appear to exist vicariously through their FB and Twitter feeds, possessed similar patient fortitude...but such is life.

Hilarious. It won't be too funny though when the next manager gets nowhere near 70 points having been backed tens of millions though will it?

Over to the new manager. Get near Mariinez's total and a CL spot or theres the door.

Good luck to him. He'll need it.

Dave, with this squad of players (whether you think Martinez has had no money to spend or not) should not be sitting in 11th place (in all reality we could finish even lower) in the table on 44 pts, a whole 15 pts behind West Ham, and 13 pts behind Southampton.

What happened to the adage 'you are only as good as your last game'? Or your last two seasons in Martinez's case? 72 points was a great haul that year, but since then we have regressed badly. I was willing to allow RM more time if he showed and demonstrated change this season, but he prizes his philosophy of football over winning and results and defending. That makes him dangerously delusional, I would worry about us if he remains in charge next season. You can back your man all you like but it will only be at the expense of the club, and you may say how can I predict the future? Well its been proven two seasons of abject failure are proof enough.

Things I learned today on here: 72 points is a piece of piss.

Good to know. That means we can demand 80 points out of a new manager funded ten times more than Martinez has been.

That's the title or at least CL spot sorted out then. The benchmark for the future is in excess of the hopeless 72 points achieved by Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back