Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't bring finances into it, they're irrelevant. Leicester have just won the league without spending inordinate sums of money.

Their points total won them the league this year - in other seasons it wouldn't have done.

Are they arsed about how many points it took? I seriously doubt it. What matters is their final position.

Finances are not irrelevant, any statement to contrary is not realistic. That is precisely why LCFC is such an amazing accomplishment that has never happened since the PL was founded. And ohh by the way. LCFC is owned by a billionaire starting in 2010 and you think Mahrez doesn't get sold without new EPL money and a billionaire owner.

Your living in a fantasy world if you think finances are irrelevant.

Completely agree, but if we ignore the tone of his post I think there is a valid point there.

Personally, if I have to miss a match for whatever reason, the joy/frustration come and go a lot quicker compared to when I'm there. Also, when you're at the match you pick up on a lot more little things that go on. It could mean that some blues who cannot go as often are more inclined to be patient.

Anyway I'm not sure it makes a big difference in the grand scheme of things, especially when over 93% voted out. But it is an interesting thought.

I sort of get what you mean and don't think the original post was trying to be derogatory in any way to the more distant supporters - but If I do miss anything by not being there I think I get those joy and frustration fixes in overdose type quantities simply by logging into here.

In terms of the patience thing, I think that is probably more a personal/character type trait as opposed to location. I’ve fully supported Martinez throughout his tenure and started sliding off the fence in the weeks leading up to the derby - the derby was the catalyst. I think that is in line with many regular match goers and makes us no different.

just read the echo article claiming that Martinez is being bullied. What a load of old ****!
I notice there is no blame at the board for leaving Martinez in this position when there have been clear signs of fan unrest.
As charming a chap as he may be he is an awful manager and he is getting abuse now because the club failed to act when they should have but it's fine... he's a human being after all!

Once again because you still don't get it and didn't read my full post - what I said was 4th IS better than 5th and would always take 4th place over 5th if you are looking at the same year. But that the fifth place season COULD be considered a better accomplishment than the fourth because the team performed better by almost every metric in relation to Everton in the fourth place year. The league in the fourth place year was not as balanced or difficult because of the influx of money had not really started yet. For example man city in the fourth place year was not oil money man city (2008). Hence one less big spending team to complete against than in the 5th place season. You're right. I am clueless about football, the makeup of the premier league finances, how that can impact competition, and the ability to make a logical argument.

English teams knocked out the Spanish, German & Italian champions that year In the Champions league and we finished above the very team that won it. The year after England had a team in the final, the year after England 3/4 semi finalists & again the year after that which led to an all English final.

To say it's harder now to get into the top 4 than back then is a bit of a stretch. The other 16 might have more quality now but the top 4 back then were consistently some of the best sides in Europe. It took a monumental achievement to break that up.

Finances are not irrelevant, any statement to contrary is not realistic. That is precisely why LCFC is such an amazing accomplishment that has never happened since the PL was founded. And ohh by the way. LCFC is owned by a billionaire starting in 2010 and you think Mahrez doesn't get sold without new EPL money and a billionaire owner.

Your living in a fantasy world if you think finances are irrelevant.

Finances are irrelevant. The level of competition is the key relevance.

Leicester have just proved that you don't need to spend big to compete. Mahrez cost how much? In fact, how much did Leicester's whole squad cost?

As I said, but will say again as you obviously have difficulty in comprehending... Leicester have won the league with a fairly low total (77 as of now) if they lose their next two games and remain on 77, then that wouldn't have won them the league on more occasions than it would.

Even if they win their last two matches, 83pts might not have won them the league in many seasons ffs.

So, how does 77pts and first place somehow become worse than a club that has scored more points but finished runners-up (or lower) in a different season?

Final league placing trumps points accumulated. Every. Single. Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back