Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know more about football than your reading comprehension level and ability to make a logical comparison.

Yeah, it shows. :coffee:

Of course, fourth place isn't ever as good as fifth - even if you score less points.

First isn't anywhere near as good as second - even if you score the same amount.

Maybe we should ask the rest of the league to make sure they draw all their games against each other and lose to us - y'know, so that there's never any difference? o_O

Michael Ball: Everton fan protests should be club's cue to get closer to support - and tell them Martinez's fate

The fans conducted themselves well throughout the game and supported the team inside Goodison during the game, and then unfurled banners afterwards to make their feelings known.

I've said before this sort of thing isn't my cup of tea and I'm not a massive fan but the fans are obviously frustrated. With the age of social media, and the Premier League being so big now, people have a vehicle to let their opinions known. Things like the media and Match of the Day mean the fan frustrations are obvious.

The club can't ignore this and they need to learn to get closer to the fans, letting them in more, and being more open with them. You can learn from the fans, they are the lifeblood of this club. Give them they the answer they are seeking.

If the club are going to back Martinez, say it. Let the fans come to terms with it – or not, as the case may be – and then we can all sing from the same hymn sheet, and get behind the team. The rumour mill is in full swing, just sort it one way or another – Bill Kenwright or Farhad Moshiri need to come out and let them know their plan of action.

The fans will always turn up, happy or not. But Everton should use these protests as a sign they need to get closer to the fans.

Last edited:
Michael Ball: Everton fan protests should be club's cue to get closer to support - and tell them Martinez's fate

The fans conducted themselves well throughout the game and supported the team inside Goodison during the game, and then unfurled banners afterwards to make their feelings known.

I've said before this sort of thing isn't my cup of tea and I'm not a massive fan but the fans are obviously frustrated. With the age of social media, and the Premier League being so big now, people have a vehicle to let their opinions known. Things like the media and Match of the Day mean the fan frustrations are obvious.

The club can't ignore this and they need to learn to get closer to the fans, letting them in more, and being more open with them. You can learn from the fans, they are the lifeblood of this club. Give them they the answer they are seeking.

If the club are going to back Martinez, say it. Let the fans come to terms with it – or not, as the case may be – and then we can all sing from the same hymn sheet, and get behind the team. The rumour mill is in full swing, just sort it one way or another – Bill Kenwright or Farhad Moshiri need to come out and let them know their plan of action.

The fans will always turn up, happy or not. But Everton should use these protests as a sign they need to get closer to the fans.
what a poorly written article

Those who still back him surely haven't sat through the humiliation served up over and over again at Goodison this season?

It's a lot easier to be forgiving when you're sitting behind your free laptop stream for an hour and a half than when you've shelled out for your match ticket and sacrificed a major part of your weekend just to be hugely frustrated.

Mate, not every blue can get to games for many reasons, doesn't make them lesser blues or have less valid opinions.

Mate, not every blue can get to games for many reasons, doesn't make them less blues or have less valid opinions.
Very much this. If I was to get my way over to Goodison, that would be at the cost of 5-6 season tickets not including accommodation, food and additional travel costs e.t.c . That's currently unaffordable for a student with no financial income beyond the odd job stopping my debt becoming overwhelming. It's not that I don't want to visit Goodison, and see the Blues play there. It's that for me to do so is currently unachievable.

As things stand currently, to watch Everton I get up at 2/3/4 in the morning to watch us play.

We're all blues here, none better than the others.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a response to speculation.

It would be a response to sizable protests and an effort to ease some pressure on the manager.

Exceptional (for a club like Everton) protests is another. When is the last time we've had fans stay behind after a game?

The club know now whether Martinez is here this season, or next. If he was still here, I suspect we'd have heard something.
I was trying to think of a post match protest like Saturdays at Goodison happening before on that scale ?

Any ideas folks ?

Very much this. If I was to get my way over to Goodison, that would be at the cost of 4-5 season tickets not including accommodation, food and additional travel costs e.t.c . That's currently unaffordable for a student with no financial income beyond the odd job stopping my debt becoming overwhelming. It's not that I don't want to visit Goodison, and see the Blues play there. It's that for me to do so is currently unachievable.

As things stand currently, to watch Everton I get up at 2/3/4 in the morning to watch us play.

We're all blues here, none better than the others.
I'm a better supporter than everyone else here.

Yeah, it shows. :coffee:

Of course, fourth place isn't ever as good as fifth - even if you score less points.

First isn't anywhere near as good as second - even if you score the same amount.

Maybe we should ask the rest of the league to make sure they draw all their games against each other and lose to us - y'know, so that there's never any difference? o_O

Once again because you still don't get it and didn't read my full post - what I said was 4th IS better than 5th and would always take 4th place over 5th if you are looking at the same year. But that the fifth place season COULD be considered a better accomplishment than the fourth because the team performed better by almost every metric in relation to Everton in the fourth place year. The league in the fourth place year was not as balanced or difficult because of the influx of money had not really started yet. For example man city in the fourth place year was not oil money man city (2008). Hence one less big spending team to complete against than in the 5th place season. You're right. I am clueless about football, the makeup of the premier league finances, how that can impact competition, and the ability to make a logical argument.

I think we’ve passed the point were Martinez’s position as Everton manager is even open to debate as I feel his position is now untenable. I speak as someone who championed his appointment and supported his performance until fairly recently. I don’t think the last three years deserve to be completely trashed as we’ve played some nice football, reduced the squad age and got close to actually winning things.

However, the appear to be huge gapping holes in his methods and philosophy that he has simply failed to address. It hard not to come to the conclusion that a team that looks exhausted in the final ten minutes of matches, concedes and rarely scores from from set-pieces and repeatedly snatches defeat from the very jaws of victory isn’t poorly coached at Finch Farm or set up and managed on match day.

I think he still might have turned in around in mid-season but enough is enough now and with a new principle shareholder and new money it is time for a fresh start. We can’t start next season under a cloud with a unpopular manager under intense media and fan scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back