Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect though to those who are judging him with heightened expectations, the question remains: what have we done to justify 4th and above? People keep suggesting "Everton, aren't we" but we have been THAT Everton since the late 80s.

Does seem like people are pretending we are City before a penny has even been spent.
You know and I know this isn't about 4th. It's about dull mundane football and back to back bottom half finishes with the most talented squad in a generation. You're too smart to not see that, so why play dumb or use the classic GOT technique of exaggerating a point you're apposed to to make it seem unreasonable. If we're 4 places higher, this conversation isn't happening. You know it, I know it.

Everyone barks on about how this is the best squad we've had in yonks. In terms of talent, I'd agree. that talent however is predominantly made up of relative novices.
There is no blend of quality, experienced winners to supplement them. We don't have the salary structure to compensate them for their services. That changes this summer.

Throw in some quality and this will be a fantastic squad.

Until then it's raw, inexperienced, enigmatic potential. Nothing more.

As Graeme Sharp said on Saturday "be careful what you wish for". I reckon he knows it'll be Eddie Howe or similar.
I despise that saying "be careful what you wish for" with a passion. A relatively recent phrase that has popped in the media to keep us plebs in our place. How dare we dream of bigger and better things, Everton should know it's place, and it's not amongst the big boys.
I'm pretty sure Graeme sharp knows about as much at what is going on as anyone on this forum, but I'm certain of one thing, he doesn't want to rock the boat. All the more surprising after reading his book, and listening to comments by Southall, Gray etc, that sharp was one of the ones who you'd want with you in the trenches. A breed who with their manager, never accepted defeat and would walk through walls for the fans.
Fortunately, the vast majority of fans still dream of big things and won't accept mediocrity.

Give him Moshiri level funding and if we're not near his first season form and points total or haven't won a cup get rid.

The thing is that this manager is being vilified as hopeless - and he has our best PL season record and had us in two cup semis???in three seasons. You and I both know that if it was still the old board Martinez would be safe. But he's being judged on the Moshiri millions waiting in the wings and the impatience of many blues who are under the impression that Jose is on his way! It's nuts
Kenwright, who revealed he went to last month's FA Cup final to assess Martinez, was instantly impressed by the Spaniard.

"I'm not going to say to you it was like David Moyes, who got me in 30 seconds, he took at least 45 seconds," he added.

"He showed me how he beat Manchester City at Wembley. I'd gone there to look at Roberto.

"He understands the game and he understands Everton. When you know, you know.

"We did discuss at the first meeting we didn't want the standards and position David had achieved to slip: we wanted to build from that and that is the only statement we made."

Not sure he would be "safe" actually Dave. They told Martinez that the standards and position Moyes had left needed to be maintained and built upon.

He hasn't kept his side of the bargain it's a simple as that.

This is a man thats signed Arouna Kone twice.

Hes a terrible judge of player.
You know what, for months I've been guilty of throwing Martinez the Preverbial 'bone' on this issue, but I'm now gonna take it back. Outside of Barry, Deulofeu and Lukaku, they're average at best and many are much worse.

He is.

Question: would he be under serious threat now if Moshiri wasn't in the wings?

His record in three seasons in no way shape or form constitutes a sacking. It wouldn't previously for him or other everton managers and the only thing that's changed is the new share owner coming in
Wrong again.

Kenwright, who revealed he went to last month's FA Cup final to assess Martinez, was instantly impressed by the Spaniard.

"I'm not going to say to you it was like David Moyes, who got me in 30 seconds, he took at least 45 seconds," he added.

"He showed me how he beat Manchester City at Wembley. I'd gone there to look at Roberto.

"He understands the game and he understands Everton. When you know, you know.

"We did discuss at the first meeting we didn't want the standards and position David had achieved to slip: we wanted to build from that and that is the only statement we made.

He Paid 15 million for someone that can't play football.

That's all that needs to be said about Martinez's transfer record

He built that squad up out of nothing. Do you think squads just materialise out of the ether?

Yeah he's failed has he? I tell you what, I hope the next manager fails as badly as him and we might get beyond 60 odd points in a season again.

Martinez's record points tally will not be beaten for a decade. You can bank on that. No matter how much cash is thrown at the new flavour of the month manager they get in.[/QUOTE
He built that squad up out of nothing. Do you think squads just materialise out of the ether?

Yeah he's failed has he? I tell you what, I hope the next manager fails as badly as him and we might get beyond 60 odd points in a season again.

Martinez's record points tally will not be beaten for a decade. You can bank on that. No matter how much cash is thrown at the new flavour of the month manager they get in.

He built the squad from nothing? Oh you mean the squad that was regularly finishing in the top 7 along with cash for new players including a £28 million striker? Nice try Dave but nah.

I find Baines' actions in particular appalling. Beyond a shadow of a doubt for me he spun a line in the media deadset against the way this manager operated and I'd guess it was all to do with his penalties being taken off him. Instead of standing up for himself and requesting he continue taking them he just sulked and developed a grudge. And for all his talk in the press about match management he never once took responsibility as a senior player to get some organisation together and resistance to defensive frailties in games.

I'll never forgive him and I want him out of Everton ASAP.
I'm calling you out for a wind up merchant, you can't or won't defend Martinez, the derby or the semi final, just this nirvana like 72 points. You're just resorting to insults now, sad to see.

With respect though to those who are judging him with heightened expectations, the question remains: what have we done to justify 4th and above? People keep suggesting "Everton, aren't we" but we have been THAT Everton since the late 80s.

Does seem like people are pretending we are City before a penny has even been spent.
But most have wanted him out since before the takeover, me included. My issue is he took over a top 6 squad, decided to totally change the playing style of the club and after 3 seasons has taken us backwards. His statement about not changing it as it will all come good in the end just made me want him gone even more.

I would want to see steady progress, not steady regression.

I certainly wouldnt lob a random points total or league position in to it. Although I accept others will. I judged Martinez on his body of work. I will do the same with any replacement.
Body of work is three seasons mate. And you know he was being judged from the middle of season two by the vast majority. That's the environment we're in. You cant say in one breath that Martinez has proven to you he can't progress the club in the time he has had here then not accept that when a new man comes in - spending multiple times more cash than RM - that you'll judge him on some ill defined length of time.

A new wind is blowing through this organisation. Bed sheet protests and plane protests to get shut of a manager midtable and with two good cup runs will not miraculously be avoided by any new well funded manager not getting success in a shorter time period than Martinez.

The genie doesn't go back in the bottle. If Martinez is treated with this level of opprobrium and brutality then so too will his successor if they can't do better....MUCH BETTER.

Martinez's record points tally will not be beaten for a decade. You can bank on that. No matter how much cash is thrown at the new flavour of the month manager they get in.
Serious question Dave.

Why did we get rid of Kendall TWICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back