Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I don't support Kenwright I support this managers record on a budget that his successor would never be able to do anything with, least of all get a record making season.

Mark my words, whoever follows Martinez will spend a kings ransom and still not get near the performance and results of his first season here. You can almost guarantee that. And if that comes to pass well see how many are still left calling out this manager as hopeless.
But I thought Moyes was the only manager since 1992 we've had who actually finished in the top 4, in a season where we should've been fighting relegation?

And also LOL, Martinez could have unlimited money and still achieve sweet f.a. with his stubborn "my way is better, style over results" philosophy. Sadly you're the only person in the world to not see that.

Nope. I don't support Kenwright I support this managers record on a budget that his successor would never be able to do anything with, least of all get a record making season.

Mark my words, whoever follows Martinez will spend a kings ransom and still not get near the performance and results of his first season here. You can almost guarantee that. And if that comes to pass well see how many are still left calling out this manager as hopeless.

Well thats my issue with Martinez in one.

He has proved he cant replicate his first season all ready. Twice. And shows zero sign of ever being able to.

I find Baines' actions in particular appalling. Beyond a shadow of a doubt for me he spun a line in the media deadset against the way this manager operated and I'd guess it was all to do with his penalties being taken off him. Instead of standing tup for himself and requesting he continue taking them he just sulked and developed a grudge. And for all his talk in the press about match management he never once took responsibility as a senior player to get some organisation together and resistance to defensive frailties in games.
a
I'll never forgive him and I want him out of Everton ASAP.

I do think you are right about the senior players taking more defensive responsibility regardless of what Martinez was saying to them.

No. He isnt.
He is.

Question: would he be under serious threat now if Moshiri wasn't in the wings?

His record in three seasons in no way shape or form constitutes a sacking. It wouldn't previously for him or other everton managers and the only thing that's changed is the new share owner coming in

Its true, it will take a while and a lot of money to undo the damage he did to us, but I reckon most could get us top half finish with Lukaku, Baines, Jagielka, Coleman, Stones, Barkley, Deulofeu, Mirallas, Cleverly, Besic, Lennon and no money.. let alone a kings ransom.

And that would be progress.

Unfortunately the new guy isn't inheriting a well drilled machine like Martinez did, he's inheriting a lacklustre incapable team with no will to win so yeah, may take a while to reach Martinez's first year level, but I bet the new guy doesn't drag us backwards despite a series of record breaking signings.

He is.

His record in three seasons in no way shape or form constitutes a sacking. It wouldn't previously for him or other everton managers and the only thing that's changed is the new share owner coming in

Not by me he isnt. Cant speak for others mind.

Give him Moshiri level funding and if we're not near his first season form and points total or haven't won a cup get rid.

The thing is that this manager is being vilified as hopeless - and he has our best PL season record and had us in two cup semis???in three seasons. You and I both know that if it was still the old board Martinez would be safe. But he's being judged on the Moshiri millions waiting in the wings and the impatience of many blues who are under the impression that Jose is on his way! It's nuts

It's a bit of a gamble giving him the money when we are looking mediocre against all but the league's worst teams.

I bet the rs regret giving Brenda the money he had.

I don't like disloyalty and I don't like snide behaviour.
It could be argued he showed greater loyalty to Everton than anyone. He stuck his neck on the line, let Evertonians the world over know that all was not well, he's sacrificed himself for the greater good, he's an even bigger icon for the club than he was before.

Hense....
image.webp

I'd like to thank Baines on behalf of well over 90% of Evertonians for what he has done this year and the loyalty he showed when UTD came calling.

1 Leighton Baines = 20 Roberto Martinez

Simple as that.

He is.

Yes, because his last 2 seasons form is starting to replicate the smashing work he did in getting Wigan relegated.

Well thats my issue with Martinez in one.

He has proved he cant replicate his first season all ready. Twice. And shows zero sign of ever being able to.
That's fine. But it follows that anyone being backed with a lot more cash than Martinez has been will have failed if they don't get near that total themselves. And if they don't get success in two seasons then they go.

The everton metabolism will increase dramatically if Martinez is sacked and his successor is backed to the hilt - these are the consequences. Prepare for them.

It's not about Martinez though. It's about Everton. Coming fifth on the budget he had in his first season was good but let's not pretend it hadn't been done before. The next two seasons have not been of the required standard. We want to move forward as a club and the last 2 years of football under Martinez point towards that not happening. So Moshiri changes it. If the next guy gets a load of cash and fails the outcome of that is not 'wow, what an achievement that fifth place under Roberto was in this context, this guy is proving we shouldn't have got rid of him'. The answer will be 'had enough time, proven to not be good enough, what do we need to change, is it the manager'.

If Roberto had proven in anyway that he was moving the club forwards long term then we wouldn't be having these conversations. Instead every single statistic you can find is going in the wrong direction. He's worked himself out of a job. The new manager will have to perform relative to the conditions he finds himself in. If that's a load of cash then the bar will be higher. Sadly, even without Moshiri's cash Martinez is not even hitting the minimum bar for the last two seasons.

Your argument of 'this underperformance would not lead to the sack if the old board were still in charge' is frankly irrelevant and unproductive. If this was the status quo, that truth, whilst protecting Roberto, would not move Everton forward. Seeing as it's not the status quo, and Moshiri is here, then it's completely irrelevant.

How many seasons has Baines been here?

Done nothing in the game. Not one thing. He'll be known after he retires for taking a few free kicks and his love of rubbish neo-punk bands. That's it. Loads in the bank account, nothing in the medals case.
So what's nothing in the game then ? He could off but decided to stay with us instead of winning medals with someone else that is called loyalty

What has Martinez first season got to do with the current day Everton though? George Burley got Ipswich to 5th, what did he do after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back