Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think today has proven if things don't work out, a change of manager and a fresh approach has massive benefits.
We've got a fantastic group of players that need that last piece of the jigsaw.
A decent manager.

Is it? You said he couldn't replicate his own first season - the man who actually achieved it is "unable" to do it again. Hilarious.

I do admire your optimism about any new manager being a roaring success though. Even with more cash he'll need a ten point start to get near 72 points in one season.
Not a success, 50 points would be enough for next season, which would achieve us top 7.

He's failed twice, miserably, each season worse than the last Dave. :)

Because he was a shadow of HKI.

SO you think that holds water, but your respond to something earlier with:

Is it? You said he couldn't replicate his own first season - the man who actually achieved it is "unable" to do it again. Hilarious.

I do admire your optimism about any new manager being a roaring success though. Even with more cash he'll need a ten point start to get near 72 points in one season.

just read the echo article claiming that Martinez is being bullied. What a load of old ****!
I notice there is no blame at the board for leaving Martinez in this position when there have been clear signs of fan unrest.
As charming a chap as he may be he is an awful manager and he is getting abuse now because the club failed to act when they should have but it's fine... he's a human being after all!
Bullying is bullying. Let's not minimize the abuse Martinez has suffered.

It's Kopite and Geordie behaviour.

Dave, are you ready to acknowledge Brendan Rodgers as an uncrowned Premier League champion yet?

Your stance on points>position will continue to look a bit disingenuous until you do.

Well we were 5th with 72 points only 3 years ago, top 4 shouldn't have been that much of a push.
Players get older.
Players pick up significantly injuries.
Other teams have more money both for transfer business and salaries.
Other teams improve too

Which one of these would you say are unreasonable?

We brought in youth and inexperience. Average age is now 4 years longer. Sell to buy financial model.

And we want fourth?

Hmmm

You'll need to go through about five managers in ten years. There will be loads of disruption. I hope your prepared for it. Or maybe you think getting success is as easy as getting rid of one manager and handing his successor more cash?

This club has entered a new era of instability.

...do you mean after MOYSIE had steadied it so successfully?

;)

We've had this argument before. If you accept your premise to be true (which I don't), then why build a squad out of raw untested talent then bemoan the fact that other clubs then buy them. It's the old never ending plan argument. Lukaku and Stones will be gone in this summer. There's your 5 year plan out the window. This is not a development school it should be a squad able to compete at the top end of the league. If it can't that's on Roberto. Retaining Howard Baines Jags and Coleman, bringing in Barry, Kone, the likes of Etoo Alcaraz Mcgeady Lennon Funes Mori Niasse slightly dents this myth that we just play s load of kids all the time.
What is the alternative? From purely a recruitment perspective?

Players get older.
Players pick up significantly injuries.
Other teams have more money both for transfer business and salaries.
Other teams improve too

Which one of these would you say are unreasonable?

We brought in youth and inexperience. Average age is now 4 years longer. Sell to buy financial model.

And we want fourth?

Hmmm
Other teams have more from transfer sales because they have sold their players. We haven't, which makes the lack of progression all the more damning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back